Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Oil leak - valve cover gaskets?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by Jval, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Jval

Jval Member

Car:
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    JV
    Hey Everyone, these are pics of a FX35 2005.
    Is this a valve cover gasket leak? photos were taken from under the car, passenger side.

I've never replaced valve covers but I'm willing to learn with this one.

Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.06.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.07.53 PM.jpg
    View attachment 435241 Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.06.56 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    I think that's something else... The valve covers are over the engine, and the sign that they're leaking is that oil will pool in the area surrounding the sparkplugs...

3. g0ldm4g3

g0ldm4g3 Would ya just look at it iS VIP

Car:
    2006 FX35 RWD
    Name:
    Nnaji
    Garages:
    I'm gonna say that is an indicator that the gasket will need to be changed, then again.. it's hard to tell where the picture is taken lol

So, an indicator of bad valve covers is oil on any of the spark plugs.. meaning the spark plug seal has deteriorated.
    an indicator of bad valve cover gaskets (gaskets around the valve cover) is oil around the valve covers. Iirc

4. OP
    OP
    Jval

Jval Member

Car:
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    JV
    Here are a couple more photos. The red arrow in the diagram shows where the leak is... I think...

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 12.00.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 11.43.40 PM.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    Jval

Jval Member

Car:
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    JV
    This other photo is from the top. There are 2 red arrows, one pointing to a metal tab, the leak is at that level, I cleaned the metal tab a few days ago. The second arrow points to the back of the engine and that's where I see the oil coming from on the previous picture from under the car.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 12.15.17 AM.png

6. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Car:
    2003 FX45
    Name:
    Andy
    Garages:
    Just remove the coilpack out from the spark plug. If it is covered with oil, you have valve cover gasket leak

Jval and Ed@TunerStore like this.
  7. 1bad_fx45

1bad_fx45 Member

Car:
    FX45
    if your millage is over 80K then it most likely is the vc gasket. it's about a 4-5 hrs do-it-yourself job. buy the gaskets and the valve covers before you start tearing everything down. if the seal around the spark plugs are leaking then you'll have to replace the entire cover.

Jval likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Jval

Jval Member

Car:
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    JV
    I'm at 130k. I'll check it out and post back.
    Thanks for the help.

9. Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Car:
    FX 37 rwd
    Name:
    Tom
    At 200,000 miles plus I had to buy two new valve covers, or let my mechanic try to seal around all the spark plug boots with silicone. Z people said I overspent, apparently they've been siliconing them back together for some time.

Good luck.

10. onthemove

onthemove Member

Car:
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Michael
    Silicone? Maybe if they don't mind making the same repair time & time again. If you're keeping your FX, you did it the right way.

11. OP
    OP
    Jval

Jval Member

Car:
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    JV
    Removed the coilpacks and they where dry, including the wells. See pics.

IMG_7093.jpg IMG_7105.jpg IMG_7107.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    Jval

Jval Member

Car:
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    JV
    These are additional pics of the throttle. Do I have to clean it up?

Attached Files:

13. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    Yeah... She's pretty dirty... Remember to look up how to reset your ECU after that. There's 3 parts I think you'll need to do after cleaning the throttle body to reset everything...

14. onthemove

onthemove Member

Car:
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Michael
    I've done everything that you're not supposed to do involving the t.b., maf, etc. & have never had any issues. No resets. Disconnect your - battery term. & if your still worried, unplug the t.b. which you'd want to do anyways if your going to clean it well by removing it.
    If I were you, I'd @ least clean up the area in question w/degreaser & then take a look every time you get home. It's possible oil is running via pcv valve to that area, especially if you park on an incline. In the 1st photo I see what looks like oil north of the area where it's accumulating. Gotta be the v.c. or pcv/hose.

Jval likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Jval

Jval Member

Car:
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    JV
    Is the throttle clean-up procedure in the service manual? I can't find it.

By the way, when I was removing the air intake hoses and box, I found the boot going to throttle is falling apart. Checked for the part and its $250 for the whole air intake box, no one sell the boot alone. What's the alternative? can I glue this one?
    Thanks for ll the help.

Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 4.27.40 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  16. Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Car:
    FX 37 rwd
    Name:
    Tom
    Alternative? Not sure, but I'll bet you can get one at some auto parts store, generic, but a workaround, auto salvage? I got new ones when I changed to conical KN style filter....

You can probably get air raid, or KN reusable filter, kit will likely have it, less than $250, couple of freed up HP?

17. onthemove

onthemove Member

Car:
    2003 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Michael
    It might be in the fsm? Check idx.pdf which is the index in the fsm & go from there. You'll find it.
    Brake cleaner or t.b. cleaner & a rag will do the trick & if you need to go get that, might as well get some MAF cleaner & hit that thing while your at it.
    I would use some gorilla tape or hey, that T-rex tape cause their commercial is much better. Make sure you clean that rubber connection piece well 1st so the tape seals well all around. That shit will by you all the time you need, until you know what your next move is. If your not worried about cosmetics, seal it well with silicone 1st, let that cure & then wrap it in one of the above tapes. I bet that would hold for a very long time in an air-only type situation.
    Don't know how reliable any type of glue would be under the hood?
    I used a 35* (iirc) silicone connector for my home-made intake.
    Unless it tore while you're doing your thing, you must've gotten a lean code? Maybe it's a pending code & not showing up as a check engine light yet. You'd be running a wee bit lean with a tear like that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Jval likes this.
  18. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    Here are some options, starting from cheapest, to one of the more interesting options I was looking at AFTER I already did my intake...

https://www.amazon.com/Intake-Hose-Infiniti-FX35-UNIVERSAL/dp/B00AGDVSJS

RED BLACK fit 2003-2006 INFINITI FX35 G35 3.5 3.5L V6 AIR INTAKE KIT SYSTEMS

2.75" COLD AIR INTAKE KIT BLACK FOR 02-06 NISSAN 350Z INFINITI G35 FX35 Z33 V35 | eBay

WEAPON-R DRAGON RAM AIR INTAKE FOR 03-05 INFINITI FX35 | eBay

19. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    Oh... And to clean the throttle body, just remove it (it's only 4 bolts) and clean it... I just used rubbing alcohol on it and did a good last wipedown before reinstalling it. Then had to do the pedal dance to reset the ECU and relearn the closed position for the throttle body. You'll hear the throttle body moving around while you do this so it will figure out what the proper "closed" position is again...

Full instructions are here:

Infiniti G35 and Nissan 350Z resetting ECU, Throttle Release, Idle Air Volume Learning

Jval likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Jval

Jval Member

Car:
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    JV
    I did find a streak of oil in the intake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.