Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

QX70 09+ How to Install Fortin Remote Start

Discussion in 'QX70 Write-Ups' started by NashFX, Feb 10, 2018.

1. NashFX

NashFX Member

Car:
    2012 FX35 AWD Tech-Premium Pkg
    Garages:
    Sharing my experience installing the Fortin remote start kit. This will add remote start capability using your oem keyfob. In this tutorial I will describe all that you need and how it is used.

Install Time: Approximately 2 Hours (give or take depending on how familiar you are with where things are in your car).
    Process: This is a relatively simple install, the harness that comes with the module below is plug and play. The only splicing required is to connect one wire to the push to start button and optionally one wire for the parking lights. This is it and the car will start using the oem remote.
    Cost: $110

Parts Needed:
    1. Remote Start Module:
    Fortin – EVO-NIST1 -
    Infiniti FX35 2012 Push-to-Start | Remote starter, bypass module and alarm system | Fortin
    1.jpg

For second generation Infiniti FX/QX70 this is the NIST1 harness and EVO-ALL module. According to the instructions, version 6 is what is required. You may want to check with the seller to ensure the hardware version is correct. Here is the link to the one I ordered. http://a.co/8Nn8ISJ

2. Fortin Flash-Link 2 Module:
    4.jpg

This module is required to install the necessary firmware onto the remote start module for our cars. If you buy both of these separately it will be more expensive. Some sellers offer to program the module for you prior to shipping. I recommend having it in case you need to make any changes to the software. Some of things that this module will allow you to customize is length of time that the car stays on, and various security options for shutting down the car.

I found both for sale together on Amazon. http://a.co/djvCYbv

3. Tools Required:
    Quick Splice Connectors Link: http://a.co/e1Jx5Zy or solder the connections. This is used for the push to start button and the parking light wire.
    • 10mm Socket
    • Wire stripper
    • Soldering iron
    • Solder, Flux
    • Electrical tape
    4. Download the Flashlink software:(Flashlink Manager)
    FlashLink Manager software download | Fortin

• Once you connect the Flashlink to the EVO Module, open the flashlink manager software. Select your vehicle. Follow the instructions to update the firmware on EVO-ALL and Flash Link.
    • Here are some pictures of the settings that are configurable. Note... In order for some of these to work you will need to connect additional wires which are included to the BCM. ( I avoided this option as the BCM is located on the passenger side of our cars and would require running wires behind the headunit)
    • Under the EVO all options make sure to enable option C1 & D1. This will enable the EVO to use the oem remote to start the vehicle and enable the remote start functionality.
    • 8.png 8.1.png 8.2.png
    5. Review the manufacturer installation instructions. The guide for our cars is
    GUIDE # 12661

http://fortin.ca/download/24031/standalone_thar_nis1_keyport_v1_revk20141015.pdf

6. Disconnect the negative terminal wire on the battery before starting, so not to short anything out. (10mm wrench)

In the picture below I am showing all of the places where connections need to be made.
    IMG_8693.jpg
    7. Remove the 2-10mm bolts behind the hood release handle. Once the bolts are out pull forward then down on the handle to separate it from the lower dashboard panel.

8. Remove the lower dashboard panel by gently pulling on both sides down on either side of the steering wheel. Start at the bottom on both side. This panel is clipped in on both sides.

9. Remove the 4-10mm bolts holding the metal bracket below the steering wheel.
    7.jpg

8) Pull up on the trim along the lower edge of the driver’s side door sill ( I found it easier to start with the side furthest away from the fuse box). This will make removal of the kick panel covering and the the fuse panel easier.
    6.jpg

9. Remove the kick panel covering the fuses by pulling outward on it. It is held by two posts on the left side and the small tab under the parking brake.
    9.jpg
    10. Now to connect the wires. Follow the instructions in the manual to connect the connectors from the main EVO Harness. This is the white 24 pin connector.

10.png

-Continued steps will be below.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. jdTrader

jdTrader Staff Moderator

Car:
    2009 FX50S
    Garages:
    Super post. Thank you for such a great thread to the community!

3. OP
    OP
    NashFX

NashFX Member

Car:
    Garages:
    11. The instructions are quite detailed. The main wires that you need to pay attention to below is the wire to the push button start which is the white/black wire at A.19 and the parking light out brown/white wire which is at A.14
    From the main harness (Image Above) you are connecting 3 connectors.
    1. The keyport
    2. OBDII
    3. Brake switch

11.png

12. Connect the A.19 wire on the harness to the light blue push to start wire on the back of push to start button.
    The push to start button just pops out if you put your finger nails around the ring and pull it out.
    11.jpg

13.Connect the A.14 parking light out (+) (brown/white) wire to the red wire going into the fuse box. (This is not required) just if you want your parking lights to turn on when your start the car. They will turn off when you press the brake and shift into gear.
    12.jpg

14. It is also recommended to install the hood pin. This will deactive the system from starting the car while the hood is open. I installed the valet/toggle switch instead which can be used to deactivate the Fortin remote start module.

Basically the way this works is anytime the dark blue wire receives a negative signal the system is disabled.

Run the A8 (dark blue) wire from the main evo harness through this switch and ground the wire coming out of the switch. I installed the switch in the lower dash panel under the steering wheel in one of the existing holes. See the second photo for where I found the ground.
    17.jpg

18.jpg
    Reconnect your car battery.

16. Follow the step-by-step instructions from Fortin.ca to program the EVO-ALL module.
    15.png

Note* If you disconnected your battery your auto-up windows no longer function. Roll each window down individually and roll them back up holding up on the window control for longer than 10 seconds. Reprogram your memory seats and you are good to go.

Fortin has great technical support, and there are troubleshooting steps on their site as well. Below is another picture outlining how this works.
    16.png

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I can help walk through the install.

4. S3R3BR0

S3R3BR0 Member

Car:
    2015 QX70 AWD
    Ive done (3) of these installs now and they are super simple. I just did it on my 15 QX70 last night. Thank you for the write up for others. :tup:

5. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Car:
    2003 FX45
    Name:
    Andy
    Garages:
    Very nice write up. Thank you for sharing.

6. 6T9CHGR

6T9CHGR Member

Car:
    2012 FX35 LE
    Name:
    Chris
    Garages:
    Very cool! Thanks for the info!

7. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Member

Car:
    2013 FX37
    I have no DYI skills, so I paid to have this installed last year. Very worth it. I also paid extra to have the app functionality installed, however as of last week, the interior temperature function no longer seems to work. Need to give the company a call.

Question for those who have this, does your car go 'click...click' when you get in and press the brake pedal after having remotely turned the car on?

krycks likes this.
  8. S3R3BR0

S3R3BR0 Member

Car:
    2015 QX70 AWD
    I have not noticed any click noises at all in any of my vehicles that have the same unit Installed , but it could be the module transitioning from remote start mode to drive mode

Sent from my SM-N950U

9. daxwards

daxwards Member

I also installed this myself on my FX50. Bought it from Amazon. The instructions that came with the unit are almost impossible for a person to understand every step along the way. These directions here are really stellar! I wish I had them. Thank you for taking the time. I probably spent 5 to 10 hours trying to figure it out across a couple of weekends last summer. There was nothing on the web for our models. Their tech support was also great. I called them often. My problem ended up being a bad wiring harness for the remote extender I purchased separately. It comes with a small Y harness that I may have damaged while programming. Fortunately you can buy it separately too. The extender allows me to start the car from my office and it doesn't use the car's horn. The Fortin unit allows you to add cellphone options, Geo fencing if you have teens, and more. I still wouldn't put it in the easy category to install but doable if you have the patience. I use mine several times a day. Fortin is the same unit as crime stopper. The units are interchangeable from what I've read. Nice work NashFX!

Sent from my iPhone

NashFX likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    NashFX

NashFX Member

Car:
    Garages:
    Thanks for the compliment daxwards; I see you're in Nashville also! I spent a lot of time researching other forums also and was able to find bits and pieces but nothing exact for our cars, mainly knowing just which wires to connect and where to find them was the reason I wanted to put this all together in a DIY.

Question on the extender, how do you know that the car is on when you use it, does it require a separate remote? Do you have any links to the components that you purchased?

11. OP
    OP
    NashFX

NashFX Member

Car:
    Garages:
    I do not notice any clicking either, is there an additional module for app functionality, any subscription costs?

12. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Member

Car:
    2013 FX37
    Yes, the app functionality was an additional cost, not sure how much, but not *cheap*. The app itself is free for life to use EVO-START but at this moment has limited coverage. Additional features of the app cost even more money.

PS: Figured out my interior temp/engine run time not working was due to me turning off 'background app refresh' in iOS.

NashFX and DatMan like this.
  13. Themechanic

Themechanic The World Is Yours Premium

Car:
    2014 qx70s
    Name:
    Edwin
    Garages:
    This is a great write up! Great work! I did this my self & it is pretty simple. Not complicated at all. But this is great for everyone else that wants it done. Works like a charm!

NashFX likes this.
  14. Dee1234

Dee1234 Member

Car:
    2016 QX70 AWD
    Name:
    Dee
    Nice write up.. thanks for posting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.