Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

QX70 09+ Rear brakes

Discussion in 'QX70 Exterior' started by Dsupe77, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dsupe77

Dsupe77 Member

Car:
    2012 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dan
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get some insight on something.

I'm due for rear brakes real soon as they are really low. I have been noticing i need to push down on the brake pedal more than usual lately for the brakes to engage and the brakes are not as responsive.

I can't see it being an issue with the brake fluid or bleeding the brakes as the car only has about 40K on it. You think once i put new pads & rotors on it, it will be more responsive?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. RAGTPZ

RAGTPZ Member

Car:
    2010 FX50S
    Name:
    Randy
    If it is the original fluid, change it. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so even if it is not dirty it may have some water in with would definitely cause brakes to be spongy/non-responsive. If you are going to do new pads & rotors then that is the perfect time to bleed them out.

la_fx35 likes this.
  3. jumbosrule

jumbosrule Premium Member Premium

Car:
    2003 FX35T
    Name:
    Brad
    Garages:
    Agreed - bleeding fluid is standard when changing pads & rotors. Wear plus older fluid could definitely feel as you described. Do you know what you will buy for brakes or are you going back to the dealer?

Dsupe77 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Dsupe77

Dsupe77 Member

Car:
    2012 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dan
    Yeah i'm bringing it to the dealer in a few days. They quoted me a pretty good price and on top of that i have a 15 percent off any service so it's not bad.

On top of that there going to grease my rear axle to get rid of that annoying click which is under my warranty too.

5. OP
    OP
    Dsupe77

Dsupe77 Member

Car:
    2012 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dan
    So i got new rear brake pads and rotors few weeks ago. brakes feel good but my pedal goes down pretty far still and does not have that hard feeling to it like it used to.

Do i need to bleed the brake lines out? you think there is air in the lines?

If driving around town the pedal goes down far until brakes engage but if i quickly let off the brake and brake again it gets hard and feels normal.

Any input?
    -Thanks

6. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    My FX does the same... Even after bleeding and replacing the brake fluid several times... It's an issue with the hydraulics but not sure where...

7. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Member

Car:
    2013 FX37
    Same here. The brakes just don't feel great.

8. jumbosrule

Car:
    2003 FX35T
    Name:
    Brad
    Garages:
    Super secret solution to this problem...

Bleed the brakes again, with the car turned ON. For some reason we cannot bleed the system correctly without a vacuum being pulled on the booster - which only happens when you bleed the hydraulics with motor on at idle.

9. 6T9CHGR

6T9CHGR Member

Car:
    2012 FX35 LE
    Name:
    Chris
    Garages:
    Whaaa??? Never heard of this....do tell more please!!

10. jumbosrule

Car:
    2003 FX35T
    Name:
    Brad
    Garages:
    I work for StopTech/Centric - and have done brakes on my FX many more times than has been necessary. I always start with a regular bleed before doing one with the car turned on. I've done both gravity and pressurized bleeds. On two separate occasions, we could not bleed the air out of the system without turning on the car.

Turning the car on and bleeding the brakes purged the air and my only theory for that is there was an air bubble in the caliper or line that would not move without more pressure and fluid flow - which the booster provided. It was only needed these two times and I had never heard of it before me... but glad it's a tool that works!

Dsupe77, 6T9CHGR and DatMan like this.
  11. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    Totally doing this this Spring! Was hoping that my SS Brake Lines would have gotten rid of that squishy feel, but there's obviously another issue... And here I just thought I was crazy all this time!!!

12. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Member

Car:
    2013 FX37
    Why, oh why, are my StopTech slotted rotors rusting (on non-swept areas) when the discs on other cars in the parking lot, including one with slotted/cross-drilled discs, are not?

Interesting!

13. OP
    OP
    Dsupe77

Dsupe77 Member

Car:
    2012 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dan
    Some great info Jumbosrule!

14. Obsedian

Obsedian Member

Car:
    FX37
    Name:
    Ray
    If you have a compressor you can purchase the vacuum bleeding system from harbor freight, it does perfect job on changing the brake fluid, and by the way you need to frequently change the brake fluid since it looses its properties, brake fluid adsorb moisture and depending on your location you may need to change it more frequently than some other places, I don’t have this issue on my FX37. On another note if you need your brakes to be higher and not to be squishy don’t use the shims between the caliber and the pads!

Sent from my iPhone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.