Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

QX70 09+ Just want a good summer tire

Discussion in 'QX70 Exterior' started by themadnewfie, Mar 10, 2018.

1. themadnewfie

themadnewfie Member

Car:
    2009 FX35
    Name:
    Brian
    Garages:
    Just picked up a set of 20in OEM wheels for my FX to go with my stock 18's which are ready to rock with legit winter tires

After 2 hours of reading and clicking this morning im probably more confused than when i started today

I want
    - 265/50r20 tires
    - they will only be used in the warm months of the year - zero desire for winter capability
    - smooth and quiet ride (the wife drives it more than i do now)
    - wet traction

With the above wish list .. what should i buy? (Ps - iwould have already bought of Ventus AS or ST .. but out of stock everywhere i look ..)

Appreciate any and all feedback

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Member

Car:
    2013 FX37
    My list of wants when I was looking for my summer 20's was very similar to yours: quiet, comfortable and good in the rain. I ended up getting the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus and it delivered on all 3 counts.

3. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    Here's a summer tire that Tire Rack has... Mixed reviews on it...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&autoYear=2007&autoModel=FX35&autoModClar=AWD

My first choices for tires when it finally came time to replace my sporty KDW/2's were, in this order, the Michelin LTX Premier, Bridgestone Dueler H/L, and the Pirelli Verde... They didn't have the Michelin's in stock so I went with my 2nd choice... Regretting it... Not very sporty at ALL... But a nice quiet cruising tire. Next time, I'll try for the Michelin's again, and if they're not available, I'll go with the Pirelli's... The Michelin's have really good reviews on Tire Rack and I've read a few threads on here where people were pretty happy with them... Not super sporty either... More designed for cruising, but I'm guessing they'll have a little better traction than my Dueler's...

4. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Car:
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Tony
    Garages:
    OP is looking for summer tire's, Michelin LTX premier + Pirelli verde are not summer, but all season, the Verde's are pretty decent, but will always come second to a top notch summer. Dueler's are a BIG no go over here, If you really want decent summer's here are a few option's : Michelin latitude sport 3, Continental premium contact 6, Nokian Z line suv, Nokian hakka black 2 suv and Goodyear EfficientGrip ( Goodyear's have least noise, rated at 69 db)

DatMan likes this.
  5. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    He's from Windsor CANADA, so he's gonna be limited on what he can get (trust me on THIS one :( )... At least he's near the border so he's got what's available in the US, which seems like it's not as much as you have in the Netherlands... There was a LOT more available in Canada and the US 10 years ago when I first got my FX, but choices are diminishing over the years :(

6. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Car:
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Tony
    Garages:
    Wow! Never realised that, makes sense now, always wondered why I always saw strange tire’s on FX’s over there, all the german SUV’s here run on Pirelli’s, Conti’s or Michelin’s

7. Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Car:
    FX 37 rwd
    Name:
    Tom
    I like Falken Ziesx (sp?) great value, get mine at Discount Tires.:cool:

It’s always summer in south Texas.

8. nima

nima Premium Member Premium

Car:
    2010 FX50S
    Garages:
    Has any Canadian tried Quattrotires.com
    Someone at a shop told me about it and I'm probably getting my next tires from there. I'm also due for a summer-only set of tires (I have a separate winter setup). Considering Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/35/21. My concern would be what the speedo reads because there's quite a bit of difference.

9. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    Never heard of them, but they show as having the YOKO PARADA SPEC-X available!!! If I had known, I would have taken a chance with these guys...

10. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Car:
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Tony
    Garages:
    Hey Nima, I guess you're dropped? otherwise the gap will be a lot bigger with 285/35, and speedo will be off quite a bit, not to mention the harsher ride (or are you on coils?). In a couple of week's I'm putting 285/40's on my 21's, which are only 5mm lower than stock, keeping thing's pretty even, just a bit more beef. As far as the tire's are concerned, you can't go wrong, although Michelin has replaced them(2016) with the Pilot Sport 4S. The german's tested all the big boy's together last year and Michelin's Pilot Sport 4S came out on top in every area, which is now their top notch summer tire.

nima likes this.
  11. nima

Car:
    2010 FX50S
    Garages:
    @Ozzie I didnt quite think of the gap, that would look ugly. and I cant find 285/40 here unfortunately. suspension is stock. :cry:

I can either spend on tires or suspension (megan arms, bc coils)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  12. nima

Car:
    2010 FX50S
    Garages:
    Which 285/40s are you going with?
    And when are you installing them? I'm looking forward to your feedback on the tires.

13. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Car:
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Tony
    Garages:
    Hey Nima, I was all set on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, but............ the Asymmetric 3 just became available over here in 285/40/21, which has improved in all area's over the 2. In that German test I mentioned, the only tire that beat the Goodyear E F1 A3 was the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but at a much higher price. The difference between the 2 and 3 is about 350$, putting a set of 3's at about 1600$, considering the FX is a DD, I'll probably settle for the 2's. Winter is holding longer than normal here, but expect to do summer's 2nd week of April.

14. OP
    OP
    themadnewfie

themadnewfie Member

Car:
    2009 FX35
    Name:
    Brian
    Garages:
    *Update*

So I now am the proud owner of 265/50 r20 Antares Majoris M5 rubber on the FX50 style wheels I got on ebay over the winter

First impressions
    - ride isn't noticeably harsher than the winter rubber (the stock wheel with Blizzak DM2's)
    - sounds levels are very good (better than the winters but not a huge difference)
    - Price .. Was just awesome (walmart in the US had them on sale for 118 each)

As you can tell the feedback is all positive .. But time will tell if my gamble paid off

IMG_20180324_1320076.jpg IMG_20180324_1320159.jpg IMG_20180324_1320399.jpg

15. ocal21

ocal21 iS VIP iS VIP

Car:
    2012 FX35
    Name:
    Oscar
    Garages:
    So you have 20” wheels now?

16. OP
    OP
    themadnewfie

themadnewfie Member

Car:
    2009 FX35
    Name:
    Brian
    Garages:
    Yes indeed - that's why I was shopping for summer rubber to compliment my winter tires on the stock 18's

Bought the 20 inch OEM knock offs on ebay over the Winter dreaming of this moment

17. bluestreakrem

bluestreakrem Member

Car:
    FX35
    These are my comments when I switched to my first set of Yokohamas back in 2012. These have been great tires here in Texas. My second set were installed in 2015 and they have about 50K miles on them now.
    These (like many other tires brands) are rotationally specific tires which must be installed in the correct tire rotation on the rim due to their tread design. Discount Tire installed them backwards by mistake.
    Make sure your company does it right.

6-12-12
    Yokohama Parada Spec X Tire Evaluation

With 42K miles on the OEM Bridgestone Dueler 92A tires (265/50R20), they were at the end of their life and it was time for replacements. The Bridgestone’s had a very hard carcass and tread which allowed the rear of the car to break loose rather easy on asphalt and was actually scary in the wet, even when they were new. The anti-skid feature was activating way too often and this contributed to me having to replace the rear brake pads sooner than I felt I should have at 20k miles. Every time it rained, and often even on dry slick asphalt under aggressive turning force, the anti skid feature would activate quite often due to the slippage in turns under acceleration. As the tires got older, their habits got even worse. The hard sidewall produced a stiff, rough, bouncy ride and had always been somewhat noisy inside the car. You could feel every little ripple and crack in the road and they had a tendency to track any road grooves parallel to the lane of travel. The upside of this stiff carcass tire is very quick steering response and feedback from the road surface and long tread life. As the OEM shocks had become more soft with mileage and age, the stiff tires were kicking the suspension pretty hard over square edged obstacles at 42K miles. The tires are an integral part of any suspension and because the Bridgestone’s were so stiff and transmitting so much energy into the chassis, the suspension was now really showing its age. So my next task will be to find some good shocks.

Before evaluating the Yokohamas, I made sure tire pressures were 34 psi as OEM speced. I ran this in the stones as well their entire life. From the moment I started rolling the car out of the tire shop parking lot, I could tell these were much softer than the OEM Bridgestone’s that had been on the car since it was new. So soft in fact, I was afraid I was going to lose most of the great steering response of the FX. As it turns out, this was not the case. While I still wanted responsive handling and quick steering, I was willing to sacrifice a little of that in order to get a slightly softer footprint, traction and ride. I think I have found it in the Yokohamas! I only have a few hundred miles on these at this point, but they are a real pleasure to ride on compared to the old hard Bridgestone’s. Ride quality is greatly improved. These feel and ride much softer than the steering response implies. Traversing road expansion joints and lane dimples are soft bumps now rather than hard snaps as before with the stones. The car ride feels like the shocks have been changed! Steering response is just slightly delayed compared to the stones but the ride is much more plush and quite. If the stones rate a 10 for quick steering response, the Paradas would rate 8.5 or 9 on the same scale. If the stones rate a 2-3 for ride quality, the Paradas would rate 8-9 on the same scale. During an aggressive lane change maneuver, I can just barley feel them squirm before the car responds and snaps into action where the stones reacted slightly quicker. Some of this steering response delay is due to the deeper tread on these new tires as the stones were almost bald. A deeper tread will wind up to some degree before the car responds, so that said, these respond rather well considering the plush ride they provide. In my humble opinion, I feel the trade off is well worth it and it’s what I was hoping for in the new tire. The FX is a luxury Crossover/SUV and I feel this tire is much better suited for the FX than the stones were. I have to agree with a lot of the comments posted on forums about these tires. They are a great replacement tire for the FX35 and what should have been the OEM tires from the factory.

Sound Pressure Test
    There have been comments pertaining to how loud certain tires are compared to others. Since I have some work experience in sound level recording and have a meter, I thought I would post some findings to quantify the difference. While the Yokohama’s are generally quieter than the Bridgestone’s at ANY speed, they do have a peak sweet spot at 65 mph. At this speed they are 4 dBa quieter than the Bridgestone’s which is very noticeable.

Note:
    For reference………..A sound pressure increase of 10dB above a previous value doubles the perceived loudness effect.
    Table chart sound pressure levels SPL level test normal voice sound levels pressure sound intensity ratio decibel comparison chart conversion of sound pressure to sound intensity noise sound units decibel level comparison of common sounds calculation compression rarefaction loudness decibel dB scale ratio factor unit examples - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

Sound Pressure Test
    The following sound pressure readings were taken at various speeds on concrete roads with all windows up and the air conditioning (AC) turned off unless otherwise noted. Sound probe is located drivers side, chest high facing forward, scale weighting is dBa on a slow averaging rate speed of 1 in 3 seconds. Any readings shown with the AC on is with the AC in the Recirculation mode and on the Bi-Level setting. The Bi-Level setting is not the loudest AC setting on the FX35.

Bridgestone’s Yokohama’s

Sound Pressure dBa Sound Pressure dBa

AC off AC on AC off AC on

45 mph 67 67 66 67

55 mph 69 68

65 mph 73 69

75 mph 74 75 72 74

I took a reading to show how much the AC (on the Bi-Level setting) contributes to the total sound signature within the car. At idle, in Park and with the AC fan on Hi, the AC’s sound signature contribution is significant and is the most dominate sound source detected because there is not much sound energy present in a stationary vehicle at idle. The AC’s contribution to the total sound pressure signature level remains the same as vehicle speed increases but as the vehicle speed increases, other factors such as road, engine and wind noise become the most dominating contributors to the total sound signature .
    In Park and at Idle with AC off 51 dBa.
    In Park and at Idle with AC on Hi fan speed 62 dBa.

4-16-15 80148 Yokohama Tire Install $ 849.90
    Installed my second set of Yokohama Parada Spec X tires as the previous set have finally worn out. These are the same model and size 265/50R-20 as previously installed. Price includes Life Time spin balance and flat repairs. See my evaluation of these tires in my notes on 6-12-12. Purchased and installed at Discount Tire.

On 4-20-15 I noticed the two right side tires had been mounted in reverse! These are rotationally specific tires which must be installed in the correct tire rotation due to the tread design. Discount Tire flipped them around. I may have driven only 200-300 miles with them installed backwards. Discount said it should not hurt them.

18. nima

Car:
    2010 FX50S
    Garages:
    Thanks for the detailed review.. it was awesome, except the table you tried to make which was confusing as hell lol

19. bluestreakrem

bluestreakrem Member

Car:
    FX35
    Sorry....................It did not post/translate correctly from my notes. I hope this comes out better.

Bridgestone’s Yokohama’s
    Sound Pressure dBa Sound Pressure dBa
    AC off AC on AC off AC on

45 mph 67 67 66 67
    55 mph 69 * 68 *
    65 mph 73 * 69 *
    75 mph 74 75 72 74

'*' denotes that no data was recorded for that data point.

20. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Car:
    2008 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Tony
    Garages:
    Finally got the 285/40 new summer's on (Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3) actually ordered the asymmetric 2 but my tire guy got me a great deal on the 3's!! normal retail here is around 1600$, only cost me 1350$. First impressions are very positive, despite a 5mm lower sidewall it's a softer ride than my old 265/45 Dunlop's, steering is super tight, firm + very responsive, noise is very low, definitely the same or less than with the 265's, although there's 80mm more rubber contact, can't comment on the wet, no rain yet! Look's are great, gap is the same as before (you can't see the 5mm diff), the extra 20mm and aggressive tread give's a much beefier look, arches are better filled now and 285/40 is a great match with 21 x 9.5's. Will be putting 25mm spacers on to get them more flush. I understand you can't get these over there? still don't get that, but at least you know 285/40 is a good option.

DatMan and nima like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.