Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

3.7L Has anyone put 3.692 axle into a RWD?

Discussion in 'QX70 Engine & Drivetrain' started by Old Blue, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Spring TX
    FX 37 rwd
    Tom
    Ok, if you've been following along you know I've been trying to get LSD for my FX37.

Infiniti has conspired to make it difficult. Close, but no cigar fitments. Little to zero usable info at dealerships and online. Nismo doesn't have one!

Hell, they've dropped the QX70, so we're all just basically " Dead men (ladies) walking" in they're eyes. The QX60 with slushbox transmission sells 10 X as many, so, there's just not enough financial incentive for Infiniti to play along.

I've upgraded and sweetened up my cars since I was 16, all my other vehicles have LSD/ positraction. It doesn't seem like this one will any time soon.

That said, the rear differential gearing in the AWD models is 3.692 vs. 3.352 ( or there abouts) in ALL RWD FX37's. Has anybody switched a rear pumpkin from an AWD into a RWD? It should be quicker, and with Infiniti's devotion to drivers assisted helper electronics, VDSC seems to be the main play they're backing.

"true Sporty Nissans, still have VLSD options. (GTR, 370Z's and perhaps QX50's?) new Rouges probably get them. Tell me the stub axle part numbers if anyone knows it for FX stubs into a lsd differential. No Nismo; wave-track, or quaifes have their own issues, but$3500, without being 100% sure they won't cause as many gremlins in the VDSC as they fix???

Does anyone else even care?™

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. AxelFX

AxelFX Member

Houston
    2004 FX35 RWD
    Alex
    Garages:
    I would be interested on getting an LSD on my first gen.

3. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Atlanta, GA
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    That's been done so it's easier than trying on a newer one.

FX35 - nismo lsd

4. AxelFX

AxelFX Member

Houston
    2004 FX35 RWD
    Alex
    Garages:
    Since I barely know little about this would it be plug in play? What parts would I exactly need? Would it affect the car negatively in any way?

5. OP
    OP
    Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Spring TX
    FX 37 rwd
    Tom
    It's almost... no one that infinity can put me in touch with knew the correct stub axle numbers to make a G 37 limited slip differential fit a next gen FX or a QX 70 so it'd be an expensive trial and error process I'm afraid.

I'm frustrated, this should not be this hard, but infinity does not encourage modifications they like to replace complete parts as a unit and their in house mechanics think the same way.
    Upon reflection the VDSC system is part of why we spend the extra money for an FX or a QX 70, I took mine out in the rain and it does pretty well, I would rather Drive it the way it is than break it.
    Z1 will sell you a Wave Track that supposedly fits for around $3500.00 no discussions on whether or not it'll integrate with the VDSC, but mine does not even break the Falkens loose on dry pavement. Probably overkill until I get more horses.

Oops, you're first gen. Yeah, plug n play. I'd look for a complete pumpkin. Try LKQ for a reliable used one. They don't break. You can get one from Ni$mo, too.

This post was to find out if any second gen owners had put a 3.692 differential into their RWD only cars??

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. illestFX35

illestFX35 Member

Los Angeles/Glendale
    2010 FX35 RWD
    I am 99% sure in my RWD 2nd gen fx35 that the G37S/370z nismo 7AT 3.69 vlsd fits. I had it up in the lift at a VQ shop and saw an auto g37s sedan in the air and both diffs have the same mounting point (just bigger bushing on the FX) and driveshaft mount. The only thing that has to be changed is the AXLE MOUNTS. The G37 has a 3bolt while FX has 6 bolts. Pumpkin is VERY similar if not tge exact same in both. However the G37 had an aftermarket diff cover. My car has the 3.3 open diff. Same part found in the normal G37 (non sport) automatic.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Spring TX
    FX 37 rwd
    Tom
    Where I got snagged was the different size flanges, G37 vs FX37, the six bolt flange for the FX37 is about 20% bigger around and thicker. Internally same thickness of axle shafts but whereas open differential has equal length, lsd has different lengths meeting off center.

So far the necessary flanges are made of "Unobtainium!"