Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Detailing: Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by JonFull2015QX70, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JonFull2015QX70

JonFull2015QX70 Member

Car:
    2015 QX70 RWD 3.7L V6
    Name:
    Jon
    Garages:
    In my continuing mini-blog posts of returning my (new to me) CPO 2015 QX70 to showroom glamour, er quality; where do you start "detailing" once you've brought your new babe home? Well, truth be told, I literally started not far outside the parking lot of the dealership...lol.

I'm a bit OCD, so first thing I did was to pull into a vacant lot and immediately went to work on cleaning the steering wheel first with Lexol Leather Cleaner to remove all the grime I knew was there, but hard to see with a naked eye. Following this, I used Lexol Leather Deep Conditioner. to recondition the leather. shine, soften and add a layer of protection I just knew was lacking. (use your favorite leather cleaner/conditioner; I've used Lexol products for 15 yrs; a mid-level product that I've found to be moderately priced for the quality).

The photos attached are first close-ups of the left/right side of the steering wheel, the microfiber cloth I used to clean the steering wheel with a little elbow-grease.

Amazing how much grime is own a vehicle for sale from the dealership, even after it's 175+ point-inspection! Enjoy detailing!

Attached Files:

AlabamaDan likes this.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. jumbosrule

jumbosrule Fully FX Invested Premium

Car:
    2003 FX35T
    Name:
    Brad
    Garages:
    So you already know a lot about detailing?

I got lost on autogeek.com for a couple years. Now, I have a chemical guys pretty close to me so I've been trying out some new stuff.

First thing you should do - totally my own opinion - is wash the whole car with a wax stripper (like dawn dish soap). Then clay-bar every inch of it, do a full polish and a full sealant.

Then, start your normal wash/wax routine after that. Once a year, I try to repeat this whole cycle.

AlabamaDan and JonFull2015QX70 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JonFull2015QX70

JonFull2015QX70 Member

Car:
    2015 QX70 RWD 3.7L V6
    Name:
    Jon
    Garages:
    I agree; I didn’t want to do the dawn wash and clay at yet because the vehicle had a good coat of wax from the dealership, so once I strip it off and claybar, I want to have enough time left to paste-wax as well; I’ve mainly been concentrating on those items not typically care for well by owners, such as the seals and channels to all openings of doors, hood, lift gate, gasoline cap interior, wheel-wells, behind the wheel spokes, etc.

What’s Chemical Guys? Like an Autozone, which is what I have near me; and I agree with you, I’m trying out some new products too, like 303 Cleaner & Protectant. I’m trying to find a product that doesn’t leave streaks on interior black plastic on the dash. Any suggestions?

Just never enough time...lol!

4. AlabamaDan

AlabamaDan Member

Car:
    2015 Q70
    Name:
    AlabamaDan
    Garages:
    You will be amazed at how the paint feels after a clay bar. I thought mine fresh from the dealership felt good, then I clay'd it and now it's like WOW.

JonFull2015QX70 likes this.
  5. jumbosrule

jumbosrule Fully FX Invested Premium

Car:
    2003 FX35T
    Name:
    Brad
    Garages:
    Chemical guys is a real brick and mortar store entirely dedicated to detailing products; they just opened multiple stores across the US.

Car Wash, Wax, Polishes, Microfiber Towels and Best Auto Detail Supplies - Chemical Guys Professional Car Care Products - Wholesale and Retail

Some of the synthetic sealants work better than the waxes for protection and longevity, so many people do both. Sealant as the protective layer, then a paste wax or other wax as a sacrificial layer and also for gloss.

I've dabbled with many different products and I did like the way Klasse AIO protects and makes my next wash easier. I like SONUS products for how easy they are to apply and remove. I like Meguire's back to black for all the dark trim peices on the car, and I use Lexol in the interior like you.

6. OP
    OP
    JonFull2015QX70

JonFull2015QX70 Member

Car:
    2015 QX70 RWD 3.7L V6
    Name:
    Jon
    Garages:
    Hoping to do some this weekend to either my QX or the other half’s Lexus. Also need to get there oxidation off my headlight covers; the toothpaste trick only lasted a few weeks, and the WD-40 onl

7. OP
    OP
    JonFull2015QX70

JonFull2015QX70 Member

Car:
    2015 QX70 RWD 3.7L V6
    Name:
    Jon
    Garages:
    Awesome to know; Appears only one location in Atlanta and a good 40 kind from me; that’s. Good thing! Used a quick-clean ClayBar today (Mother’s Claybar 2.0) on the other half’s Lexus sedan; all I can say is wow! You are so right, jumbo!! The difference is incredible (to touch); I actually was just stripping off the old wax, grime and crud off (washing with Dawn!) tinready for paste wax this weekend; was shocked the claybar removes some serious black marks on the lower trim, plus old paint splatter from the windows and doors on right side; incredible! Amazing what it could do to the wheel-wells and fenders/trim that wraps into the wheel-wells. I’ll post photos later when home.

DatMan, jumbosrule and AlabamaDan like this.
  8. AlabamaDan

AlabamaDan Member

Car:
    2015 Q70
    Name:
    AlabamaDan
    Garages:
    I told you, the clay bar process is amazing!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.