Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

5.0L 2013 FX: Differential & Transfer Case Fluid Capacities?

Discussion in 'QX70 Engine & Drivetrain' started by E3A300, Feb 12, 2018.

1. E3A300

E3A300 Member

Car:
    2013 FX30D S Premium
    Hi all

Can anyone give me the fluid capacities for the transfer case and front/rear differentials as I want to change the fluids on my 2013 AWD FX but the UK owners manual only gives the specification for each fluid and not the capacity? Don't want to order too little or too much.

Cheers

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. DatMan

DatMan Member

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Dat
    Have you downloaded a copy of the FSM? It should have the numbers there...

3. OP
    OP
    E3A300

E3A300 Member

Car:
    2013 FX30D S Premium
    I have now thanks to you.

Apreciate the reply.

DatMan likes this.
  4. Arod0326

Arod0326 Member

Car:
    2012 Infiniti FX50S
    Name:
    Andrew
    Garages:
    Hey I have 2012 FX50S and had to refill my transmission fluid. These trucks do not have a fluid dipstick the truck has to go on a lift and there is a plug that has to be unscrewed from the transmission housing. You then have to drain the fluid completely and start from scratch by pumping new fluid into the transmission while having a scanner that can read data and keep checking the transmission temp. The transmission has to reach a certain temperature and when it’s full the fluid will then drip out the drain plug. It’s very complicated and only a professional should do a job like this. I am a auto tech by trade and I still brought my truck to the dealer to handle this job. The cost wasn’t bad, I was charged only $225. My recommendation is take it to a pro, preferably the dealer.

5. OP
    OP
    E3A300

E3A300 Member

Car:
    2013 FX30D S Premium
    I'm going to leave the transmission for now as I don't keep my cars for years like some, although I probably should given what I spend on them, but a change of diff/transfer case fluids is generally an inexpensive job, so I figured I might as well get them changed.

Thanks for the heads up on the transmission, which is something I normally do on higher mileage cars.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. Banjos-n-Beer

Banjos-n-Beer Member

Car:
    2014 QX70 3.7 AWD
    Name:
    Steve
    Garages:
    Is the transmission in the FX50 the same as the one in the FX35/FX37/QX70? The owners manual for my QX says the transmission is a sealed unit and does not need servicing (unless something is wrong... or something to that affect). Of course, that implies a lifetime fluid... but I think its common knowledge that often times "lifetime" in the automotive world simply means "until the manufacturers warranty has expired". I did notice my local dealer likes to recommend 60k transmission servicing, regardless of first gen vs 2nd gen FX vehicles.

I know a guy on another forum that had his tranny serviced on his 370Z at around 100k miles, and he claims it blew up just 5k miles after that. His current vehicle now also states no transmission service is necessary, and he's adamant about not touching the thing at all, period. Particularly because the owner's manual says no maintenance is necessary.... and who is to argue with the companies Automotive Engineers?

Having said all that, I'm on the fence about it on my QX. I have no hesitation servicing the differentials and transfer case, but the transmission.... hmmmmmm

7. OP
    OP
    E3A300

E3A300 Member

Car:
    2013 FX30D S Premium
    I think it's a case of sealed for the lifetime of the warranty rather than the lifetime of the car!! So many costs are massaged by the manufacturers to favour the leasing company, hence extended service intervals, sealed for life etc.

I believe it's basically the same Jatco box in the FX/QX70 with a couple of different specifications relating to torque rating, with the higher rating being for the 50S and 30D. I have had numerous transmissions serviced over the years and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same with this Jatco box, assuming it hasn't done too many miles, you have the correct fluid, procedure and carry out the adaptations post-fluid change.

The issue with boxes going bang after a fresh fluid transfer is generally limited to higher mileage vehicles still running the original factory fluid as the particles and metal shavings suspended in the fluid might be the only thing providing friction between the clutch disks. Several partial drain and refills are often the better option on a higher mileage transmission as the old and new fluids are gradually mixed instead of shocking a higher mileage transmission with 15L or so of clean fluid.

I would say 60k is a great mileage to change the fluid!

8. Banjos-n-Beer

Banjos-n-Beer Member

Car:
    2014 QX70 3.7 AWD
    Name:
    Steve
    Garages:
    But due to the design of the transmission, a simple drain and fill isn't possible, correct? You need to use the machine, and its that full flushing service that potentially ends up causing more harm than good, at least on some occasions, from my understanding.

9. OP
    OP
    E3A300

E3A300 Member

Car:
    2013 FX30D S Premium
    I haven't looked into the procedure for this car as i haven't had it long and I'm at a low mileage but I wouldn't have an issue with replacing the fluid if the machine being used utilises the transmission pump to circulate the fluid as opposed to some of the older machines, which transfered the fluid under pressure, which is where people were having issues due to various matter being dislodged.

I had the fluid replaced on one of my cars a year ago at 65k using the preferred method mentioned above and the gear selections/changes are still as smooth as butter a year later. I have seen several threads relating to transmission fluid changes, so I'm guessing many will have already travelled this path.

10. Banjos-n-Beer

Banjos-n-Beer Member

Car:
    2014 QX70 3.7 AWD
    Name:
    Steve
    Garages:
    Thanks for replying! Check out this PDF if you have a moment.

From page 11: 7-Speed automatic transmission fluid is maintenance free
    From page 26: Inspect the automatic transmission fluid at 60,000 miles, but a footnote says "Except models with the 7 speed transmission".

Now, the first comment states the transmission doesn't need regular servicing, but the 2nd implies you don't check the fluid because there is no dipstick, and its a sealed unit.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/cont...4/2014-infiniti-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

Because of this discussion, I just fired off an email to Infiniti Owner Services, asking explicitly what Infiniti recommends as maintenance (if any) for this transmission. I'll report back any replies when possible.

11. OP
    OP
    E3A300

E3A300 Member

Car:
    2013 FX30D S Premium
    I'm surprised a drain and refill can't be carried out given the transmission has both a drain plug and a fill plug, and it's the latter which is also used to check the level. I have owned several Volvo's with the 6 speed sealed for (a very short) life Aisin Warner transmission, which like the Jatco 7 speed does not have a dipstick, and the vast majority of forum members, including myself, have changed the fluid on these boxes with great results.

My experience has been old fluid within the correct temperature range is pumped out in small quantities using the transmission pump via the oil cooler lines, measured and replaced with the same amount via the refill plug, which is simply how all transmissions without a dipstick are refilled. The process is repeated either immediately or after a short/long drive cycle and the level then checked using the fill plug. I can't imagine why a 7 speed Jatco box would be any different in principle.

12. Banjos-n-Beer

Banjos-n-Beer Member

Car:
    2014 QX70 3.7 AWD
    Name:
    Steve
    Garages:
    Just checked with my dealer... they charge $199.95 for a single drain and fill with OEM fluids.

13. Banjos-n-Beer

Banjos-n-Beer Member

Car:
    2014 QX70 3.7 AWD
    Name:
    Steve
    Garages:
    Got a few replies from Infiniti Consumer Affairs. They repeated the claim that the 7 sp auto is maintenance free.

When I asked how long the transmission should last, in years or miles, they said "we're unable to indicate how long parts will last" (I was at least hoping for a reasonably achievable figure, but this type of reply seems like a preemptive effort to avoid responsibility). "Just make sure it's inspected regularly" (which I assume is just a visual inspection for leakage).

Having said that, it does appear most members here lean towards regular service intervals, despite what Infiniti states.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.