Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 03-08 shift knob redux

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by onthemove, Aug 10, 2017.

1. onthemove

onthemove Member

Earth
    fx35
    Pat
    I've read all that's available on the site regarding shift knob swaps. I found a u-tube vid of a guy installing an aftermarket knob on his g35. From what I gathered, momo & razo were the only two people experimented with but it appears that many knobs will work. The button isn't needed & you can just push down on the knob to shift.
    Has anyone installed something other than the above mentioned aftermarket knobs with/without a button successfully? Is the button necessary? It's either a nice aftermarket knob or getting mine re-wrapped in leather. Thanks.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. jcasanova

jcasanova Premium Member Premium

Houston,Tx
    2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    There is a guy who makes push down shift knobs on g35driver.com that I've had for about 3 years now. 0a9b711bd2dcf4a9eeeedc186809f960.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901

zebra555 and onthemove like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    onthemove

onthemove Member

Earth
    fx35
    Pat
    Oh, hey, I like that. Looks like aluminum but in black chrome. I'm boot-less though, so I wonder if it would look odd? Will try to hunt down this guy & see if he's still in business. Thank you for that jcasanova.

4. jcasanova

Houston,Tx
    2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    onthemove likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    onthemove

onthemove Member

Earth
    fx35
    Pat
    Thank you again JC. I didn't comment on the boot & I didn't plan on changing what I have now but I gotta say that boot looks like a really nice, quality custom piece. Digging the carbon fiber wrap as well. I've come across multiple people on the g35 forums that have done this while looking for the shift knob you have, and most boots are ill fitting at best.
    My only concern is that I'll make a mistake. I drive aggressively sometimes & almost always use the manual mode. Fortunately, the shifter has a built-in dumbazz proof trigger to keep me out of trouble. I have gone to shift before, not realizing that it was in drive, thinking it's in manual mode. I up shift & end up in neutral. Good thing I don't end up in reverse. + I've got something similar to the wrap you've got. My shift plate has it as well & would hate to get rid of it.
    I checked the link for the knob but reads "page not found". Bummer.

jcasanova likes this.
  6. jcasanova

Houston,Tx
    2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD
    Garages:
  7. AxelFX

AxelFX Member

Houston
    2004 FX35 RWD
    Alex
    Garages:
    Would this shift knob have any clearance issue with the 03-05 console shifter ?

8. jcasanova

Houston,Tx
    2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    I don't think you would have any issues since some guys here have converted their 03-05 shifter panel to the 06-08, which I think you should do cuz I think the 06-08 panel looks better...

Sent from my LG-H901

9. OP
    OP
    onthemove

onthemove Member

Earth
    fx35
    Pat
    Thanks for that link JC. Would've taken me awhile to find it.

10. jcasanova

Houston,Tx
    2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    Anytime

Sent from my LG-H901

11. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Atlanta, GA
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    You can also run the Infiniti M series shift knobs with some mild modification. I almost did that but ended up just keeping the OEM knob with a suede shift boot similar to what the picture shows (same maker). I tried the Momo and took it out after 3 days because it's too sensitive. It uses tiny set screws to mount and if you put any pressure on the knob at all it will move and then the button will jam.

12. OP
    OP
    onthemove

onthemove Member

Earth
    fx35
    Pat
    Yeah, saw the M knob. Looks good too. I'm going to an shop that does both interior & exterior work @ the end of this week or beginning of next. Will see what quality of work they do & maybe just keep my shifter & they can wrap it in black leather while it's there for other things.
    Got the "willow" colored interior, if that's what it's called. Lots of black accents (door handles, buttons, etc.), so I installed a black trim kit that I think looks really good. Was like $650 but got it for a buck-fifty ($150). It doesn't fit perfectly. Upon trial fit, I found I'd have to install the various pieces in a certain way because each piece was a bit short. Ended up looking really good imo because the oem brushed aluminum finish shows up along certain edges. If I paid retail & this kit was like a wood grain type deal I'D A BEEN PISSED but fortunately it worked out well. Gives it a multi-dimensional look. Hard to explain but will hopefully be posting many photos of interior, exterior & engine bay this weekend when I'm done slaving over the wire tuck. Guess I'll start a new thread cause I've done some odd shit that some will like & some will not & got a lot more in the works. Should @ least be entertaining.