Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

WTF Lugs!?!?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by Frankiago, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I got my car back from the shop that put my motor in... when I got home, 3/5 lugs were FINGER TIGHT and the reason I popped the center cap off and checked was b/c there was some wobbly action goin on and some definite noise from the front end.

I told him about this and he was very shocked, said he torques 'em all to spec (he loves that term, and uses it on everything from bolts to grape jelly jar lids).

Disappointed, I changed out the graphite stock 20's with my 18" OZ's, made sure I tightened ALL LUGS.

Just yesterday I had some weird noise and felt some vibration, eventually turned into CRAZY noise and a small, pretty quiet knock.

First thing I did was get down to them lugs and try to unscrew them, they were on just fine and I couldn't turn them.

I then lifted up the front end (and unfortunately put some craters in the apartments' asphalt from my jack's wheels) and looked around. I saw some grease spatter and played around a bit and had some actual play on the driver's side.

I didn't check the lugs when it was lifted. So after looking around I took it in to the Muffler/Brake/Axle/etc. shop and they were gonna do a free diagnosis. I went n worked out, they called, I called back, they said the wheel was loose! :eek:

My roommate then reminded me that I checked the lugs when it was on the ground and if I were to check them lifted, they would've probably been finger tight.

The guy @ the shop said I'm using the wrong lugs on this thing...??? Ehhh... wtf?

I thought lugs were lugs when it came to the FX and I could use the same ones as 350Z's...

Not mentioning any names... but I got the lugs from a member here :err:

Soooo... WHAT LUGS DO I USE???

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Steel lugs are your best bet. Aluminum lugs can strip out easily. Splines are good lugs too since they are generally steel vs aluminum.

These are good priced cheap lugs. http://mynismo.com/products/?id=5360

3. Size is 12x1.25 - should be the same as the 350Z, don't recall if you have aftermarket wheels, if you are not getting enough turns on them they may not hold... then look into aftermarket studs as well.

4. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    I have Nismo long studs.

Viet, I tried ordering and they charge $2.30 shipping for each lug nut lol... for a total of $46 MINIMUM. The most expensive shipping (next day air) is $182.

I sent an e-mail to clear up this lil error. I can't see spending more than $5-10 on a small box of lugs lol.

I'll be ordering these ASAP.

5. rookie

They are rad lug nuts. Simple, no writing, steel and cheap.

Try this ebay dealer. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350Z...009QQitemZ190130921082QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

He's a Nissan dealership in VA, I'm sure he can get them and it's closer for you. One thing I've learned is to use anti seize on the studs/lugs. This helps with taking the lugs off when they are hot which has messed some studs/lug threads for me in the past.

6. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Yup! I can attest to that. Works great.

Sorry to hear about this situation Cube. But I'm sure all will be as it should be in no time.

7. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    I'm pretty convinced it's due to the spacers. The rears can take 20mm spacers with the Nismo longer studs, the fronts can't.

It could possibly be that the front end is taking more of an abuse due to the fact that they're the turning wheels and the location of the lugs on the threading was when they were kinda loose, and when actually tightened down may have more threads than when I just saw... but either way I'm going to look for 15mm spacers to replace the fronts and sell the 20mm's for someone who wants them on their rears.

8. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Viet I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting these Nismo lugs. I can't find them online and the places you've directed me don't have them in stock and/or have issues with shipping and can't get a payable invoice with < $42 shipping.

9. rookie

I'll get you a set from west co nissan. I need to pick up some parts for me too.

10. I've ran Kics R40 and R40 Neo Chros for the past couple of years and never had an issue with them. You do have to be careful and hand tight/torque them down.

11. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Just an update, with 15mm spacers and the same Nismo extended studs up front, I am no longer having the problem. It was the extra 5mm of threading that did the trick. The rears are still holding up fine with 20mm spacers though oddly enough.