Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Wheel Spacer Question

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by robb<35>, Jan 6, 2008.

1. i have a few questions about wheel spacers, i don't know too much about them,

1) Spacers give an agressive stance on stock 20's?
    2) What serves there purpose, just to make your wheels stick out more?
    3) 15mm/25mm what size works well and have great results?
    4) Any alignment issues or any wheel bearing issues with having them on?
    5) Price range for spacers?

Im thinking of purchasing spacers but i don't have any background knowledge of what they do, do they cause any alignment problems and such, etc etc, any help is appreciate thanks guys ;)

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

1) Spacers give a more aggressive stance because it pushes the wheels further out from the wheel wells
    2) they say since you have a wider stance it helps with handling, but i dont know if its proven or anything like that...mostly just for looks i guess
    3) since the stock wheels have an offset of +40, the best bet is to go with 20mm spacers which work perfectly if you decide to drop for FX...Min (Lebron) has 25mm spacers and says his work fine with no rubbing as well.
    4) brand new spacers go for around $100 a pair with the longer studs but im sure you can find a better deal (eg. ebay)

goodluck! i plan on getting some spacers for my stock wheels when i lower my FX if i dont have new rims by that time.

3. OP
    OP
    robb<35>

robb<35> Member

sounds good, yes i plan on doing this mod by march along with lowering it, if i dont even end up lowering it 20mm will be my best bet? also im a bit sketchy on the lowering since people around me have been saying don't lower it because i have an awd system and it will screw around with it, is this even true? will having my fx lowered have any effect on my awd system? also do i have have to replace my shocks in the near future because of it? thanks

4. brown_fv

Lowering your FX wont be a problem with the AWD system. the only problems ive ever heard with AWD systems is if you run staggered and the radius of the wheels+tires arn't the same it might cause the AWD system to run a bit whacky.

Pierce (Dr.2K) has run staggered at the track with no issues so i dont think this is an issue with our AWD system either. you should have no problems. i have also never heard of the shocks needing to be replaced because of lowering (for our FXs at least)

5. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

:dito: Dr.2K has Eibachs on his and no issues.

6. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    I have 20mm spacers all around, dropped for almost 2 years, and am AWD....no problems at all.

7. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Like everyone has said, there are no issues with lowering the FX and the AWD system. And I have over 50K miles on my eibachs and stock shocks and struts. Will probably put on new shocks and struts this spring. Also, I had 15mm spacers on my FX for about half of those miles without issue.

8. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I had a weird issue with the fronts... with 20mm spacers my lug nuts would back out. I had the longer Nismo studs too. I stepped down to 15mm in front and 20mm in rear (rear had no issues with the 20mm's) and haven't had that issue come back.

9. JAB1

JAB1 Member

I have h&r drop and 25mm spacer. As far as looks i love the 25mm, wouldnt go less. I did have an issue at first were I hade some wheel shudder under agressive braking at speed, either Ive gotten used to it or it went away after rotation and alignment, not sure. Its winter so not much aggressive braking. No probs rubbing etc, I have stock rims and 275/45 tires. When I first had it done I could barely see the difference, but then when you see a stock fx it is noticable. I say go 25mm!!

10. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
  11. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Spacers on the whole are questionable to begin with.
    That said, if you decide to get 'em, I wouldnt skimp. Imagine losing a wheel at speed. Get a name brand only like Ichiba or H&R, Just MO.

12. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    that's totally true. but none of them would be a problem with stock 20's on non-lowered? just to clarify....

13. OP
    OP
    robb<35>

robb<35> Member

25mm too much for stock 20's? will they be going out pass the wheel wells? and ya im going to go ahead with lowering the fx in a month or so, anyone have a pic of lowered fx with stock 20's? and also what brand lowering springs?, thanks for the info :biggrin:

14. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Heres me a few months ago......stock 20's with Eibachs

[​IMG]

heres the front before the drop
    [​IMG]

here it is with the Eibachs
    [​IMG]

The Rear before
    [​IMG]

The rear with Eibachs
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  15. OP
    OP
    robb<35>

robb<35> Member

wow what amazing shots, that fx looks clean, how are the eibachs on your ride? i have the sport suspension on mine now and it feels way too stiff, feel everything in the damn road, by lowering it will it change the effect at all ? thanks fo the post of the pics, and i think i will go with 15mm spacers unless someone else gives me a reason not to? lol

16. brown_fv

The Eibach's are said to have a stiffer and harsher ride than the H&R's so im not sure if you will like the eibachs...

if you want to go with 15mm then it wont really make a difference...i dont think you could tell a 5mm difference in spacers from far away.

17. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I also have the sports package - when i went to the Eibachs, it was a tad stiffer. Im used to it now......if your worried about the ride you might want to take the H&R path, I heard they are more forgiving.

18. OP
    OP
    robb<35>

robb<35> Member

same lowering height with the h&r ? whats the drop on it? 1.2'' all round

19. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

H&R are lil more than Eibachs - I believe....just by a hair. Rookie did a sticky here with most of the specs....

Infiniti FX Lowering Springs - InfinitiScene.com

20. brown_fv

H&R's are quoted for giving a 1.3" drop in the front and 1.2" drop in the rear. from what ive seen they give it a great stance, plus with a set of spacers you cant really go wrong.