Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Wheel and Tire Options - List yours

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by Chedman13, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    When I did my wheel search, I found myself search and seeing what everyone else was running. If it was all in one place, that would be great. I'll start it off:

(what I intend to do)

2003/FX45
    22x9/+15 offset
    265/40/22
    Trimming required
    Lowered with H&R Springs

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. +15 offset is pretty aggressive. Can our cars handle such an aggressive offset without rolling the fenders on a drop? I may be wrong but I've seen applications for our cars generally around the mid to low +20s on offset.

Are you looking to keep your wheels the same so that you can rotate them? If not then I would suggest 22x10.5 on the rears with 285s. ;)

3. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

i think depending on the width of the tires and wheels you can run an offset up to around 20-25 keeping it safe.

4. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Only trimming of the wheel well is required. It is very aggressive, +15 on a 9" wide wheel is +38 out more than stock. This makes it flush with the fender. Yes, I decided not on a staggered setup and just got 9" wide all around. Makes things easier and cheaper and of course as you mentioned, I can now rotate them all around.

Note that this is Rookie's photo of his car on 22x9 w/ +15 offset (Viet, I hope you don't mind me sharing, I found it on one of your posts). I got this setup because Rookie had it and it looks great. He is lowered and it does require the trimming as I mentioned, but no big deal. I'm going to go trim tomorrow to prepare while the wheels come in.
    side_1.jpg

I like the fact that I don't need spacers. The only other offset would have been +35, but I loved how Rookie's car looked.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Yes, throw it into this:
    http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html

and then try to keep it less than 30mm of how far it extends outside the edge of the wheel vs. stock to prevent rubbing. Maybe less than 25 to be on the safe side. If you want the aggressive wide stand, I would go for my soon-to-be setup.

I haven't factored in tire size/width/bulge, so that's another discussion in itself.

6. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Awesome thread. Very cool to see everyone researching and sharing. Alexus1 put on 19x10.5 +22 rears, his wheel itself was very flush with the rear wheel wells, even more than the 22x9 +15. Using a 285 on the 10.5" he was a little over but not by by much.

Tire sizing is next in the wheel and tire configurations. The more sidewall bulge the more likely an aggressive offset will rub, tire height is also an issue if you go with tire bulge. Shorter tires can help with not rubbing but will add wheel well gap.

7. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:

Nice wheels. Looks like 285/35/22 is a popular tire size.

Just saw your pictures, can't believe you're not dropped. It looks like it's dropped, at least the rears. Your +15 offset looks even more aggressive than the Axis wheels.

Post some pictures with your H&R's installed! I'm curious to see how the rear's come out, looks like a H&R drop might bring it very close to your tire.

8. yeah, I thought the same thing, how my rear looks like it's already lowered. I used to tow with the car, which may have caused a little sagging (?). I also have a heavy box in there as well. Not sure if those attributed to the rear looking like that, but we'll see.

I'll post pics soon, just need to find time to install the springs.

9. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
  10. 20 x 10 Axis Orden Silver wheels, offset 45
    295/45 Hankook Ventus RH-06 tires -- same exact tire circumference as stock

** NOT dropped.

** VERY slight rub (probably occurred once in 2000 miles) seen on painted label (you can't see the metal) on front struts occurred when making an extremely fast "instantaneous" lane change at 70 mph when the new wheels were first installed. There was never any rub on normal/spirited/aggressive driving or on turns or going up/down driveway aprons. (I could see there was very little space between the tire and strut when the car was on the the ground and on the lift at the tire installers. I decided to add a 5 mm spacer.)

** A 5 mm spacer and longer lug bolts were added after removing the front wheels to inspect the struts for rubbing and to eliminate the possibility of future rubbing.

** The rear has plenty of room.

** So, with the 5 mm spacer, the front tires are 25mm farther out than stock and the rears are 20 mm farther out than stock.

In speaking with Viet, I learned that if you ARE dropped, you have MORE room between the front strut and the tire because the top of the strut leans toward the center of the car, creating more space and the spacer I am using would not be needed.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  11. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    iforged Classic2:

22x10 - +35mm offset - 3.5in lip front/4in lip rear
    Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico - 305/35/22

Moderate fender rubbing, have to shave rear fenders.

12. Is the rubbing due to the 305 series tire or the +35mm offset?

13. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Could be one or the other. Would not know for sure unless I had other sets of wheels and tires. But having said that, if I went with a 295 tire I may not have any rubbing or very little but with 285's and a bit of a stretched out look I would say there would be no rubbing at all. On the other hand, if I had gone with a +40et then it would be safe to say there would also be no rubbing.

14. I see I'm asking because my rear rim will be 22x10.5 with +35mm Offset so I'll need to stay clear of a 305 and go with a 295 w/H&R springs...

15. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Yes, but with your setup you are basically adding a 6mm spacer and taking it out a bit further then my setup. You may still rub with a 295 but you will have little to no protection for your wheels. Good luck.

16. Thanks for the help I'm still doing my research I'm not afraid of rolling the fenders I've had my G35 fenders done due to rubbing. I'm trying to find someone with 10.5 rim so I can PM them my questions.

17. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I'm pretty sure there are a few on here with 10.5's, but I just can't remember who they are....keep on looking and good luck.

Actually here is one,

InfinitiScene.com

18. EG3

EG3 Premium Member Premium

22x9 Gianelle Spidero +38
    WAS:
    285/40/22 Falken STZ04
    - Loud humming noise
    - Handling sucked. Almost crashed in the rain

NOW:
    285/35/22 Yoko Parada
    - No rub, plenty of space
    - Might need spacers, offset is a little high. Around +25 - +30 would be better

Also,
    Stockers (20x8 +40) on 275/40/20 Pirelli Ice&Snows
    - The look is a little small but doesn't stick out
    - MUCH better gearing. I wish the stock gearing was this good
    - WAY lower. Might be even lower than the EX35

All lowered on uncut H&Rs

19. 22x9 et15 with 265-40-22
    22x10.5 et25 with 285-35-22
    Did one here at my shop already
    No fender roll needed!
    will be :tup: