Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti crossover owners and enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX45 What is gonna happen if I stop using premium gas?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by Problemsolver, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Problemsolver

Problemsolver Member

Toronto
    2008 FX45 AWD
    Suz
    Although my 2008 Infiniti FX45 "requires" premium gas, has anyone dared to go to regular gas? Premium gas here is 15% more. This is on the heels of the recent news reports stating that most drivers were just wasting their money on premium gas. Looking for first hand knowledge, and not posters admonishing me for wanting to save money.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. rammersFX

rammersFX Member

Sylvan Lake, MI
    1st gen FX still hunting
    Ramiro
    How much more does it take to fill with premium? For me it is around $8 or so... but I know that I am putting what it indicated as required... I can save $8 per tank and if something goes wrong, the $300 I will be saving a year will not make a dent towards any engine repair.
    I bought my FX45 because it has an 8 cylinder engine not because it was a gas saver. I could have gone with a 2.0l hybrid vehicle instead if I was searching for a gas saver.

I dont know if there are any benefits or not, but I dont want to save pennies to then have to spend dollars

Sent from my iPhone

3. GEE50FX

GEE50FX The Traveller iS VIP

Kincardine, Ontario, Ca
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Wayne
    Garages:
    It will run crappy, your engine was meant to run Premium, the news was referring to vehicles to which Premium is not required.
    Don't cheap out, you will regret it with performance loses.

4. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Chicago
    2003 FX45
    Andy
    Garages:
    Yep, the recent news on the use of premium gas on car that is not required is a waste of $.

After a couple of tank of regular, your engine will probably ping or knock due predetermined timing settings from the manufacturer. The ping or knock is cause by erratic detonations of less octane gas. Prolong engine ping or knock will subject the head gasket, pistons, and rings to unnecessary overloads. You'll definitely see a decrease in performance.

5. MTN FX

MTN FX Mountain Man Premium

Big Bear City,Ca.
    2004 FX35 AWD
    John Green
    Garages:
    And most likely a decrease in MPG

6. ryus

ryus Member

Canada
    2010 FX35 AWD
    I'm guessing you are in the US, if so, I feel that gas is very cheap to begin with compared to up north here in Canada. Don't skimp out, use whatever grade is required for your engine, in your case its premium. In fact, all Infiniti vehicles require premium as far as I'm aware.

7. Dsupe77

Dsupe77 Member

Long Island, NY
    2012 FX35 AWD
    Dan
    I love how all the salesman and people at infiniti told me when i bought my car said putting premium gas is a waste of money and that you can use regular. :LOL: cracks me up.

8. GEE50FX

GEE50FX The Traveller iS VIP

Kincardine, Ontario, Ca
    2010 White FX50S-sold
    Wayne
    Garages:
    Seriously, must be quite the Dealership, NOT!

9. GFortFX

GFortFX Member

Southern Mass
    2009 FX35 AWD
    Greg
    Would think that dealership fills all their cars on the lot up on regular then.. SMH.. Wonder how many dealerships do that with their premium required cars...

10. Dsupe77

Dsupe77 Member

Long Island, NY
    2012 FX35 AWD
    Dan
    They do! when i picked up the car they said they filled my tank up with gas. and i asked if they used premium and the salesman said no, we always fill all the cars here with regular gas.

I was like WTF. i would of told them not to fill it up if i knew that. It's messed up if you think about it

11. GFortFX

GFortFX Member

Southern Mass
    2009 FX35 AWD
    Greg
    That seems really messed up to me. I mean I see how from their perspective it saves a ton of money (in a shady, shitty way), but why would they admit that to you?! I'd put money on a dealership denying warranty coverage for an engine repair if you ever admitted you used the incorrect fuel grade

12. meme405

meme405 Premium Member Premium

Vancouver, BC
    2008 FX35
    Garages:
    I worked for a nissan/Infiniti dealer a long time ago. And on new cars, if inside the cap it said to use premium they always filled premium. Used cars was a bit hit or miss.

13. jaybar

jaybar Member

S.E. Florida
    2010 FX35
    Jay
    I have a 2010 FX35, It had 38,000 on it when I got it in 2013. I now have 84,000 on it and have NEVER put a drop of anything over 87 octane in it.
    My theory and it is just my own unprofessional opinion, is that premium is necessary for max power, climbing under load, towing.
    I do none of this. I live at sea level do not climb hills, or tow, and don't "put my foot into it". Even those rare occasions where I need
    to excelerate I had no ping or knock. I do put a can of Seafoam in the tank every couple of months to clean out the injectors.
    Don't say everyone should do this but in my case it works.
    On the technical side the engine has knock sensors that tell the computer to retard the spark, which stops the knock but yes reduces the power.
    I used to drive a C-5 Corvette and always ran 87 on the highway where the engine was making 80 HP. But on the track always ran 93 where full power was needed.
    Yes 8.00 a tank extra is not much but I worked for .75 an hour once and can't spend money that I feel un necessary.

DinGu BinGo likes this.
  14. Kanedean

Kanedean Premium Member Premium

Peace River, AB
    2013 FX37 AWD
    Garages:
    You are correct. Most newer vehicles have knock sensors to mitigate engine knocks. When I put less than premium fuel (91), I do notice a slight reduce in power and MPG.

15. Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Spring TX
    FX 37 rwd
    Tom
    My'03 had 230,000 miles when I sold it, I used to be able to get gas without the damn ethanol added! 10% ethanol means 10% worse gas mileage!
    Saving 20% on regular consistently will lose you another 20%, or at least 10% worse mileage as well as crappy performance.
    Why'd you even get an Infiniti? A Rogue or Murano would likely be a better choice for some folks. Just sayin'

16. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Atlanta, GA
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    10% ethanol doesn't mean 10% worse mileage. E85 results in ~20-25% less mileage because of the lower energy density. So 10% ethanol blend is going to be a 2-3% lower mileage. 87 octane is going to result in lower mileage but it's going to be marginal. I've run E40 blends in my BMW to run more boost and mileage drop is in the 10% range but hard to say because I've upped the boost.

I've run 87 a couple of times when the premium pump was out or when the pipeline broke and regular was all most stations had. It's really unnoticeable unless it's a hot day and you get on it, then the knock sensor goes into overdrive and starts pulling timing noticeably. But in a regular commute, it would be hard to notice. Maybe someone wants to get an Infiniti because it's much more luxurious than a Rogue or Murano and doesn't care about acceleration. The difference in performance is going to be marginal and the FX isn't setting any speed records anyways.

Local Infiniti dealership here uses regular when they fill up. It's not going to hurt the car and it makes business sense as they're filling up a lot of cars for loaners and test drives. Doesn't really bother me.

17. Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Spring TX
    FX 37 rwd
    Tom
    I journaled my mileage faithfully, since I used it for work.™ I can't vouch for your arithmetic. It's Always hot here in South Tx.

My seat of the pants-ometer told me about the decline in forward thrust, every time I cheated out on 87 octane, I'd save maybe 30 cents a gallon @$3.00, and be back for a fill up 10% sooner. So it ends up costing the same to go 500 miles down the road, And the performance is lackluster.

I raced and seriously embarrassed a new Hemi Dodge Ram the other day...he thinks my FX is fast!

As far as running corn in my Infiniti, I drove it right through the ethanol transition here in TX, but in OK, they had gas without ethanol and my mileage that had dropped from 23 to 20-ish, returned to 23 as long as I could avoid ethanol. BTW when I find gas without ethanol today, it costs 10% more...negating any real cost savings.

18. porkandbeans

porkandbeans iS Dutcher iS VIP

Inland Empire, CA
    2003 FX45 AWSM
    Garages:
    Always splurge for premium. It's not that much more in the big picture.
    2017-07-29 16.28.27.jpg

19. Old Blue

Old Blue Member

Spring TX
    FX 37 rwd
    Tom
    Don't waste your money...Enjoy it.

20. SIDE FX

SIDE FX Premium Member Premium

Philly AKA Philadelphia
    2009 Infiniti Fx35 AWD Twilight
    Brian
    Garages:
    Its a whole study on you tube this guy did about premium vs regular gas and he use regular gas in his corvette with no problems no mods its very interesting check it out,