Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

What did you do to your FX QX70 today?

Discussion in 'QX70 Chat' started by pmanliu, Mar 20, 2010.

1. pmanliu

pmanliu iS VIP iS VIP

NYC
    2017 WRX
    Garages:
    Theres a thread like this on g35nyc and thought it was a pretty neat idea... Basically just talking about what we did to our FX's or EX's today as most of us cant seem to stop playing with it, hehe.

SO! What did you do to your rides today that you would like to share?

Well guess i'll start:

Today, cleaned the k&n cone filter then reoiled it. Worried about overoiling but no CEL so far. Made a big difference, as the filter was extremely dirtyyyyyyy (like completely black)

La CoCo likes this.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    I've got one planned for today that I've never seen before... I'll add it (hopefully) in a few hours. Nice thread.

3. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

I dusted the car since I haven't touched the car in the last 2 weeks.

4. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    haha I'm banned from G35NYC again....

anyways, yesterday I gave it a spray wax since its been sitting in a shady spot at school for a week collecting dust, then took some pictures.

this week I'm sending out my ECU for reprogramming and sending my HFCs out to get replaced.

5. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    ha, your always getting banned there, what else is new :cool: :rofl:

cool thread :tup:

6. TK76

TK76 Member

I got mine washed today. Baker leave the lesser mortals alone. :)

7. bleedingsujit

bleedingsujit Premium Member Premium

had to strip the door sill and take the glove compartment out since some quarter cent coins got stuck there and were making that rattling noise while driving.

8. toy4x

toy4x Premium Member Premium

Hesperia, CA
    04 FX35
    Andrew
    Garages:
    Went out and took pics with HumbertoCali...will post later tonight/tomorrow.

9. Bklynjohn718

Bklynjohn718 Premium Member Premium

Brooklyn New York/Queens
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    Detailed the FX for 5 hours. Inside and out. After that NYC winter we had, she needed a good cleaning.

10. StuLax18

StuLax18 Staph Moderator

Dallas, TX
    2007 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    I thought about my FX whilst looking at 3 other beautiful ones.

11. FXchris305

FXchris305 Member

miami
    2005 Honda S2000
    Garages:
    put on my IS Decals . made a thread with pics check it out .

12. Logan

Logan iS VIP iS VIP

Seattle
    Garages:
    Installed my new FRAM in cabin filter using fxlr8's DIY (perfectly documented BTW) not so bad but can't get over how hard they made it to install a simple filter.....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  13. tchuck

tchuck iS VIP iS VIP

Portland, OR
    Garages:
    Alright, I finished several hours ago but just now took a pic and have time to post it.

As with most of you, I have noticed the underwhelming performance of the stock Bose subwoofer unit. I cracked it open the other day and found three things.
    First, the amp inside the speaker box is pathetically small, and rated at 100watts. I don't know how they rate things at Bose but I own a 15watt tube amp that is 5 times the physical size. I could go into more detail but suffice it to say, that amp is the product of space constraints. The end.
    Second, the dual 6" speakers are not nearly as bad as I expected. They aren't meant for ear splitting volume levels, but that considered they could be a lot worse.
    Third, the box itself is very well designed. It's a ported enclosure utilizing a relatively simplified version of the proprietary Bose "waveguide" design, has almost no internal right angles, is surprisingly rigid, and very light. Plus it fits into the spare tire, which is a huge bonus IMO.
    Anyway, just as I was thinking about replacing the pitiful sub amp, I happened upon a 200watt monoblock JL Audio amp on craigslist for $35. Giddy-up. I picked up a PAC adapter for $25 to avoid running wires from the back of the head unit, an 8AWG Phoenix Gold amp install kit from a local stereo store, and began modeling the removable tray on which I was going to mount all this stuff. The reason for mounting everything to the tray is so it can all be removed quickly and easily if I want to throw the spare tire back in to go somewhere outside cell phone range. I finished up the modeling last night and woke up early this morning eager to get started. All in all, it took about 4 hours and just under $100 for the whole thing. I don't know how to show you the results beyond the following pics, but trust me when I say the difference is night and day. I am not even thinking about upgrading the sub anymore, and now run the "bass" level at -2 to keep things even. Here are the pics:

Solidworks model of amp tray with amp and adapter - top view:
    View attachment 203754

Solidworks model of amp tray with amp and adapter - iso view:
    View attachment 203756

Pic of the whole thing installed: (I'm going to hide all the wires tomorrow)
    View attachment 203757

Also, this DIY help tremendously: ///2811

EDIT: I adjusted the input levels on the amp this evening so it runs with the "bass" adjustment at -0-. The sound quality is drastically improved, the volume only slightly. I also timed a full removal, which included pulling the fuse @ the battery and unplugging everything from the tray, at a little under 4min.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  14. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Applied ice to the plastic trim and waxed my rims. Also noticed how high my car really is.....hurry up coilovers.

15. Logan

Logan iS VIP iS VIP

Seattle
    Garages:
    Yup, canceled my coil cut and rear mount flip today. Praying that the Megan's come through, functionally and at a price.....

16. put back on my 22's since the weather is starting to get nice, cleaned them up real nice and added a little bit more suede in my interior, 20% done patiently waiting on those coilovers.

17. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Boring. FX sat in her garage all day. I showed no love. I did say hello tonite & thought about driving her, but it was just a thought.

18. Spent the last 4 hours online looking for rims to purchase.:err:

19. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Oil change for the FX this morning.

20. Omegared2

Omegared2 Member

Hanover MD
    2011 BMW 550 GT
    Matthew