Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 What are the best headers?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by FX06, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Hi guys,

I want to install headers to my car

Is stillen the best? or i can find better?

i want to mention that i live in a hot area...Stainless Steel or ceramic coated is better?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    What type of FX do you have 35 or 45?

3. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    The best headers are the ones I have on now. Want to buy them in about 6 months for $100? :p

They're Topspeed headers...

header_collector_comp.jpg

And here's Forcedfed:
    p10002988hx.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Cool pix. Got any NISMO's shown like that? I heard those were good also.

5. Frankiago

IL
    None of the Nismo, sorry. I've heard Crawford are one of the better ones though. Expensive as hell but would generally yield best dyno results.

Topspeed are basically replicas of one of the $900+ brands I believe... I haven't had any issues with them, but they'll be replaced with twin turbo manifolds. Originally I thought they'd compliment the STS kit well, but since I will no longer be going that route, they won't stay on after the twins are installed.

6. Keemo

Yah, I've heard the same about Crawford but I'm not sure if it's been confirmed that they fit well.

Can anyone else confirm?

7. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Crawford's headers yield the best results, although they are the most expensive and generally cost the most to install so in the end they might not be worth it...

DC, Strup, and Topspeed are all reasonably priced and give pretty good gains...around 15 hp/15 tq
    you should look into a set of HFC's and Test Pipes to compliment your headers.

8. Frankiago

IL
    You're getting this info from 350Z's aren't you? The reason the Crawfords cost so much to install is because the motor has to be dropped or pulled I believe in order to install since there's not enough room to "slide" the Crawfords in...

With our engine bay there's no such problem?

9. EG3

EG3 Premium Member Premium

During my Stillens' installation my tuner told me that there's not much space difference between an fx, 350 and g at the place where the headers are. I've heard that 350 guys had problems with their steering rack touching some of the headers so they had to grind it which I wouldn't do in any ways..

As far as I know, the ones confirmed to fit are topspeed, strup, stillen, borla and nismo. What they say is that Nismo yields more torque in the low end due to its different size tubing and crawford is one of the best because it's longer than the others and is still equal sized.

As far as Stillen goes, it opens up the engine pretty good but mainly after 3500 rpms. They say it yields 18-20 hp-tq but that happens only in a tiny instant where the revs blip for a millisecond (which you'll feel if you get these, I do). Still, I got them installed for $1000 total, which is a pretty good price I think.. :)

10. Keemo

If you got Stainless headers, in cold weather or all together, is there a tendincy for them to crack? Or is that only if you wrap them?

11. EG3

As far as I know, if you wrap them, there's a chance that moisture will be trapped under the wrapper which leads to rust and cracking eventually.

12. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    remember when wrapping anything with header wrap seal it with a silicone header wrap spray. Header wrap is like a wick when oil gets soaked in...... Instead of header wrap I recommend using "white lightning" which is a very thick ceramic coating done by swaintech. (I had my downpipe and turbo housing done by swaintech for my wrx) www.swaintech.com

13. OP
    OP
    FX06

FX06 Member

so wut now .. should i go with the stillen?

I have sent an email to Crawfords and they said the headers wont fit to FX35!!

14. brown_fv

Check out g35driver.com you will find really good deals, a lot of the headers will be cheaper than stillen.

check out the private and vendor classifieds Strup headers are going for around 400-450 brand new, topspeed 300-400, DC 400-600, and stillen headers are around 600....if you can i would go with either Topspeed or Strup because of the price and value.

15. EG3

Stillen fits and is a mediocre choice (even if I have it). I'd go with Nismos if you can find them at a good price (which is hard).

16. OP
    OP
    FX06

FX06 Member

Can anyone please confirm if crawfordz headers will fit FX35?

17. brown_fv

Crawford said they will not. i would trust their word, and even if they did i would stick to something more cost effective...strup, topspeed, etc.

18. EG3

+1.. Both strup and topspeed should give you more than 15 hp & tq.. There's no need to spend $700-800 more to get 3-5 more hp-tq really.. You can get a good NOS kit for that price :biggrin:

19. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Would headers change the sweet note of the Nismo exhaust? I dont want that really raspy sound......

20. brown_fv

I dont think headers will produce rasp but your exhaust would certainly be louder...i would suggest pairing headers with HFCs or test pipes (if not stated already) because you will see better gains. a nice tune will set you off well after those mods to get your A/F in sync.