Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 VQ Throttle Body Spacer Mod

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by gto, Oct 11, 2007.

1. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Well here's a new one. Throttle body spacer?!? Yep . . & was skeptical too, but what the hell . . for a 90 some odd bucks, I figured I'd give it a go.

Untitled-1.jpg

This is DaveO's neat & cheap new mod, & it seems to add a little bit to my setup, but not huge amounts. It does alter the A/F a bit before a tune as you can see below. After the tune, I cant really say what additional gains were made. I didnt notice anything on the buttdyno, cuz the gains are not huge, but probably more collective with my other mods, & it does make a really cool whizzing sound, like a spooling up sound.
    I never really anticipated it to add that much, but it's really a sure win little gizmo that probably adds probably more than all those intake tubes we spend so much time discussing.
    Proof is in the Dyno too.
    I got Re-Flashed today at TS.
    That was alot of fun. Tadashi was running her strong at 7500+ rpm & doing 3rd gear pulls at 130mph. It was like woah, hope she doesnt launch off the table, cuz it looks like she really wanted it that way.

This is before any tune with & without the spacer

DSCN1764.jpg
    DSCN1766.jpg

After Tune w/ Reflash (we were able to fix the A/F with the tune)

Getting DynoJet:
    238.5 WHP
    207.4 WTQ . . & very linear power with no dropoff on the top end.
    Picked up some real nice mid range torque. Most happy 'bout that.

I'm cool with the overall numbers I got, & FX drives better.
    I highly recommend getting a tune. It's like better power just waiting to be found.
    Keep in mind, that we also have some big ass heavy wheels that have to account for 10 to 15 HP loss alone.

DSCN1763.jpg
    DSCN1765.jpg

TS can flash anyone. For you locals, & If they do not have your code, all you have to do is drop by there, let him scan what you have. Then Tadashi will download the data from Nissan's website. One does not have to leave the ECU with him, so you still got your ride. You go back in a couple days, & get the tune. It's too easy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Awesome, man you should've told me you were going to be there. I was in the area yesterday morning. Tadashi is rad, the superflows read low as well.

3. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

you gained around 8hp...thats pretty good for a $90 mod. did you have to pay for the tune as well?

4. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    was the gain from the spacer or the reflash? either way any bump in torque is nice....cool

5. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Very cool indeed... Great mod..

6. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Nice Nice Dave! Hey ask DaveO if he has anything similar for the VK!

7. HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Will and I spoke to him at the Peterson Museum meet and he did not have anything for the 45..:frown:

8. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Dam isn't that always the case, lol. We are always left to fend for ourselves.

9. OP
    OP
    gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    There is a 7 HP gain to the wheels with the spacer alone, no tune.
    After the tune, dunno what it did, cuz the this was my first tune, and all my mods need to be considered. I will tell you, that my A/F wasnt all that bad without a tune.

Yep. Cheap is good. I did have to pay for the tune/reflash, but Tadashi worked out a great deal for me, since we had to trouble shoot to a Throttle Body, 4 hours on the dyno table, & at least 10 full pulls. FX got a real workout on the treadmill. As a matter of fact, he was pulling 8000, but Tadashi says that number is not accurate. It's actually lower. My rev limiter in the car will go to 8, but he says I'm safely under that. Cool thing is, I actually have power all the way through the 7K mark.

I posted in my Grounding thread that I was going . . Oh well. would have liked to hook up. Hey Rook, Why are the superflows so low, & what kind of power do you guys think I'm making at the motor. I'd like to blab I'm beyond 300 when people ask :err:

dude! you got good torque! Stop whining :p

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  10. HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Man that is great.. You guys sure know how to make my mouth water when you guys can go up to 7K to 8K ....

Doc, what is yours?

Mine is stock and it's about 6.6K then I have to shift... So tempted to get this and other mods done...:frown:

11. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    My rev limiter is at 7.1 or 7.2 I believe. I have hit a a few times trying to push it and time it just right. But no speed limiter :)

12. HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    ;) Very Cool...

I might take you up on your offer to drive it next weekend if the offer still stands....:rofl:

13. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Sure no problem.

14. OP
    OP
    gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    +1 on no speed limiter. I'm curious what I can really do out there.
    Does anyone have a G-Tech around these parts. Curious what my times are now. She feels quicker.

15. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Dave you can borrow mine. It's just the basic model not the one you can upload onto the computer and stuff.

16. OP
    OP
    gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Lunch meet :p:p:p

17. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Let me know when. I have to find it in my garage somewhere lol.

18. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Finally some Dynos on this thing - and it looks good Dave. I shudda jumped on it too - maybe in a few weeks.

19. OP
    OP
    gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    I would just call him & see if he has extras.

20. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

i am really interested in this, but the only thing that is drawing me back is the TS Reflash and a tune which i could no complete here. would they be necessary?

it looks like the A/F is jumpy up to around 4500 RPM without the tune which is where most driving is done...how bad is it to be running rich?