Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX45 vdc button

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by TurboMack, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Just discovered this site today and I love it already....Just bought my
    FX 45 about 2 months ago. I think I read it on this site, should I have the VDC button on or off position. Could someone explain this a little bit and also ready for exhaust system already...Nismo,,,,Stillen or from the actual dealer at Southbay Infiniti??

Thanks guys,
    Mack:err:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. VDC is one of those features that's hard to explain unless you understand the other systems on your car.

VDC, or Vehicle Dynamic Control, is a safety feature that should be kept on at all times unless you are planning to race. If you decide to go after a few stoplight kills or take your car to the track then you need to turn it off.

To understand VDC you also need to understand how your ABS, Direct Ignition, Brake Assist, and TCS (traction control system) work. VDC controls all these subsystem to help you when you are in a situation where your car would loose control. Also, if your car has VDC then it has TCS.

TCS Function
    The wheel spin of the drive wheels is detected by the VDC/TCS/ABS control unit from the wheel speed signals from the four wheels, so if wheel spin occurs, the rear wheel right and left brake fluid pressure control, typically through the brake assist system, and engine fuel cut are conducted, through the electronically controled direct ignition system, while the throttle value is restricted to reduce the engine torque and decrease the amount of wheel spin. In addition, the degree the throttle is opened is controlled to achieve the optimum engine torque.

Depending on road circumstances, the driver may have a sluggish feel. This is normal, because the optimum traction has the highest priority under TCS operation.
    TCS may be activated any time the vehicle suddenly accelerates, suddenly downshifts, or is driven on a road with a varying surface friction coefficient.
    During TCS operation, it informs a driver of system operation by flashing SLIP indicator lamp.

VDC System

A simple explaination for VDC is it detects wheel spin differences between all four wheels, looks at acceleration (via G-force sensor), and measures the steering angle then uses that to control brake(s) to keep the car from spinning. It can also cut throttle as needed.

The full explanation:

In addition to the TCS/ABS function, the driver steering amount and brake operation amount are detected from the steering angle sensor and pressure sensor, and the vehicle's driving status (amount of understeering / over-steering) is determined from information from the yaw rate sensor/side G sensor, wheel sensor, etc., and this information is used to improve vehicle stability by controlling the braking and engine power to all four wheels.

The SLIP indicator lamp flashes to inform the driver of VDC operation. During VDC operation, the body and brake pedal lightly vibrate and mechanical noises may be heard. This is normal.

The ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator lamp, and SLIP indicator lamp might turn on when the vehicle is subject to strong shaking or large vibration, such as when the vehicle is on a turn table or a ship while the engine is running. In this case, restart the engine on a normal road, and if the ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator lamp, and SLIP indicator lamp turn off, there is no problem.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  3. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Thats a good explanation Z33.

Similar from G35's.....

Z33, you may want to change the font you are using because I can hardly read or see it. It comes out all white lettering on the default forum color scheme.

4. Better?

5. OP
    OP
    TurboMack

TurboMack Member

Thanks....appreciate the quick response. I rode around the city tonight with the VDC off and the car was a little more responsive. Guess I'll have to wait for some straight line action in Fontana or Irwindale on Thursday nights....

Thanks again,
    Mack

6. Yeah VDC pretty much works the same on all Nissan/Infiniti products that have these systems. That is why it is not available in thier economy lines.

7. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Yes, thanks. White font is a a bitch to look at with the default scheme. If you don't look carefully it looks like it is blank.

8. Maybe if you stare at it long enough you'll see the hidden 3D picture :LOL: j/k

Yeah I hear ya. I have the same problem too with font colors and people who don't indent when writting long posts.

9. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Also check the VDC functionality when cornering at higher speeds and you will know the difference right away. Fontana is great! some of us will probably be out there in Sept or Oct. maybe we will see you then.

10. BEV1960

BEV1960 Member

Thanks this was very helpful

11. VDC is a name specific to NISSAN, it is a traction control system, mainly engages when:

1) Wheel spin occurs, it cuts off / reduces engine power, applies brakes to spinning wheel(s), and divert excess torque to other wheel(s)
    2) Under steer / over steer, it cuts off / reduces engine power and applies the brakes to outer most wheel(s) / inner most wheel(s) accordingly, it basically keeps the car in the direction of steering intended by the driver.

It communicates to vehicle sensors and systems, analyzes and responds instantly via a super fast and advanced communication system called CAN - controller area network.

Obviously, it is more powerful in AWD models.

Sent from my iPad