Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Utec...

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by brown_fv, Oct 31, 2007.

1. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Hey guys, with my plans to go F/I i have been in serious talks with Alex over at VTR (Vinny Ten Racing) and we were going over what i need and should get for my Turbonetics ST Kit.

he recommends that i go with a new exhaust (i am already planning to get Nismo) and also a set of headers if i want (i plan on getting Strup headers). i will be going with a catless kit (no point for me to get Test pipes or HFCs cuz they wont fit)

anyways, other than VB work he says i dont need anything else so i asked if i need some EM like UTEC. he said no because the TS reflash will be sufficient.

the main thing is i have NO idea what UTEC does i just read on all the F/I threads that its a good piggy back EM. my questions are why would i need it, and also should i get it or go with his advice that the TS reflash is all i need. im just trying to get price out how much $$ i need to do all this.

Thanks!:)

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Someone please correct if I'm wrong - but if you're goin Turbo - you shouldnt spend money on headers cuz dont they get replaced by new manifolds for the Turbo anyways?

3. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

I have no idea :confused: but Alex told me they are a good addition to have for my turbo set up :confused:

4. Ed@Pepe

Ed@Pepe Member

Coming from the Subaru scene (which the UTEC was invented for), I have a some real life experience with the unit. It is VERY powerful, but is designed to "trick" your ECU by giving it false values to achieve a desired result. A reflash, however, works within the parameters of the ECU. Rather than modifying or falsifying information, it actually uses a different map.
    Both have advantages and disadvantages. If you know what you're doing, or have easy access to a tuner who does, UTEC offers much more power, scalability, and versatility. UTEC can adapt to fit your mods, different gas, water injection, or even anti-lag or two-step, if applicable. A reflash is great though if you're an average user who wants to keep daily drivability and ease of operation, at the expense of a little power.
    Hope this sheds some light on the issue!!

-Ed

5. Ed@Pepe

Ed@Pepe Member

Turbo-spec headers are mandatory for ANY turbo setup, since the exhaust gas is used to power the turbo. N/A headers simply connect right to your exhaust, whereas a turbo header goes into a collector or up-pipe (depending on your turbo mounting position) and then to the turbo itself (where it's used to spin the intake side of the turbine, producing that BOOST we love so much), then out again through the downpipe to your exhaust.
    Either way, it's best to do a little research on the actual workings of a turbo system before going ahead with such a major modification. It's a neat little gadget ;)

This link should help: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech101.html

-Ed

6. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Great info Ed!

7. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    This is all correct, and is the case when dealing with the TN ST kit, but there's kits that connect the turbo to stock headers even, and yet others that connect the turbo (STS) to the rear-most exhaust flange. Both of which you can use regular upgraded headers.

The TN, however, cannot use stock/upgraded headers designed to replace stock for the exact reasons Ed gave.

As for UTEC, it is much more customizable than the reflash and has integrated controls for water/meth injection incase you decide to go that route, and spraying N2O as well. It is more dynamic with more areas of control. It has better temperature compensation/correction, but as Ed pointed out, the reflash IS sufficient. In the end you're paying money for more features basically.

8. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

Thanks for the responses for Utec and headers, i was reading on the turbonetics forums that if you run aftermarket headers you will have to make some modifications and some people are running headers. i think i will still get a set if i get a really good deal (because the install price is like a lethal injection) and see what goes from there.

as for utec, i think i might pass since the reflash will be sufficient for my daily driving needs. i dont really need multiple maps, plus i dont really know if any really good tuners here for tuning later on and such than the tune i will get at VTR.

i want to finish all my engine and performance mods before i go for my TN ST kit.

thanks.

9. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Good luck! I may have a set of Topspeed Headers for cheap, but this will be in February when I replace headers with a pair of turbo manifolds.