Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

3.5L Transmission problem

Discussion in 'QX70 Engine & Drivetrain' started by TheRurouni, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

Am facing a problem with my transmission, after I installed everything fixing the turbo kit and try to break in the engine after the rebuild.

Yesterday I drove about 50 km the AT did disengaged as if it is in N but it was
    In D in the middle of the road. I tried to change from D to R to D again but again same problem.
    Turn off car then started again it worked fine but same thing happened
    to me today.

What do u think is the problem, could the solonied be the problem
    Seems it is electrical issue although some smell coming from the car but it might be due to diffferent issue am facing ..

Sent from my iPhone

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Could just be me, Love to help, but I honestly dont understand what you're saying

3. myron02

myron02 Member

Canada
    2007 fx35
    installed the turbo and now transmission not working?

4. OP
    OP
    TheRurouni

TheRurouni Member

My apology, I was writing in hurry..

Working on my project the twin turbo.. kit now is installed, engine rebuild completed..

So yesterday I took my car from the shop to have a test drive and break in for the engine to make everything is right before doing the tuning..

I drove my car for about 50 km, it was working fine.. suddenly transmission stop working and not responding like if it is in neutral ( N) while it was in D...

Stopped the car try to drive it again after shift it to reverse ( R), it worked for 200 m, then same problem again.

Stopped the car, turned off.. turn it on again then problem gone !!!!!

Today, the same scenario happened again after driving it about 40 km...

I am thinking that it seems an electrical issue, but not sure, what do u think the problem ?
    Solenoid will it cause such a problem?

Sent from my iPhone

5. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    And not engaging at all after 50km. Reset, then you get another 50km out of it before it happens again. & you do not feel any slip or partial engagement after it errors . . even if you give it some gas. This is what I'm understanding

Also, what are your dyno numbers, & have you done any other mods to the tranny?

6. Kanedean

Kanedean Premium Member Premium

Peace River, AB
    2013 FX37 AWD
    Garages:
    That is odd indeed. Is the engine with the turbo kit tuned?
    Is the transmission over-heating due to the added engine power?

7. illestFX35

illestFX35 Member

Los Angeles/Glendale
    2010 FX35 RWD
    The tranny should handle it fine because you shouldnt be on full power anyways during the break in period. From what I am understanding, there is a hesitation at a stop? And is there hesitation or like clutches slipping in between gears? Odd but I hope you figure it out...

Sent from my iPhone

Obsedian and TheRurouni like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    TheRurouni

TheRurouni Member

Engine not tuned yet, still need to drive it at least 600 km+ due to new Pistons then will do the tuning..
    Transmission over heating should not be a problem at this stage. However I removed the radiator and did a mechanical cleaning for internal tube. I found them blocked even it was changed last year, I return it back to shop and told them to install Transmission coolers...
    After a couple days will have another test drive and ll c.

Am not sure if I ll solve the problem or not, cuz after turning the car off and started again, problem go and car work fine.. if it is due to overheating.. transmission should not work fine again after turn it off and on again...

Sent from my iPhone

9. OP
    OP
    TheRurouni

TheRurouni Member

There is no hesitation in gear change, ut was working fine suddenly while driving RPM goes up on gas pressing but no respond from transmission like if it was in neutral ( N )

Sent from my iPhone

10. OP
    OP
    TheRurouni

TheRurouni Member

I did not reset it, only turn engine off then on again.. yes correct it is not engaging.. even tried to change
    To DS mode but did not change to DS or Manual mode ..
    Car not tuned yet..
    No mod or upgrade to the tranny

Sent from my iPhone

11. myron02

myron02 Member

Canada
    2007 fx35
    sounds to me that's an electrical issue of some sort.

12. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    yeah.
    2nd gens. wasnt there a flash or something you can do to it.

& you say blocked. Seperate Cooler is a great idea . .for anyone.
    You can also have them check for contamination. Coolant with oil. to guess at the condition of the clutch pack. Might need a rebuild

13. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Atlanta, GA
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    It does sound like an electrical issue or a solenoid/valve body issue. It's not slippage or heat if you can fix it with a reset. Is it throwing a code? Are you getting a check engine light? I had a solenoid fail on a valve body once and it immediately threw a code and the transmission went into limp mode and locked into 4th gear. If I restarted or cleared the code with scanner it would work again for a little while.

14. OP
    OP
    TheRurouni

TheRurouni Member

This what I was suspecting at first, but no check engine light neither codes are appearing..

I will have another test drive next Tuesday and will c how it will go..

Sent from my iPhone

15. r1cky

r1cky Premium Member Premium

Los Angeles
    2010 FX35
    Ricky
    TheRurouni, any updates with the transmission problem? today the same thing happened, was driving in traffic, and all of the sudden sounds like it popped out of gear and stuck in 1st gear, won't shift into 2nd... had to pulled over, restart the car then it drives fine (2010 FX35 w/ 132000 mi, just changed the transmission fluid at 120k)

16. jumbosrule

jumbosrule Premium Member Premium

Redondo Beach, CA
    2003 FX35T
    Brad
    Garages:
    Guys - this is a Transmission Control Module fault - TCM. Resetting the ECU will clear the fault but it will not stop it from happening again. This is either electrical or a transmission sensor failure - intermittent for now but I would guess it continues to get worse until you can't get it into gear at all. The TCM is suspect.