Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

[OT] Toyo Tires

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by fxlr8, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    I have owned 2 sets of proxes for my fx and each set has been noisy compared to other tires I have owned. The first set were used and came with the rims I bought. Not only were they very rough they would hum..the faster you go the louder the hum. I switched those out for Continental Cross Contact UHP's and these were very quiet.

My second set of proxes came with my current set of used rims. Smooth, no vibration... but the same humming.

I guess they are just noisy tires, maybe due to the thread pattern...not really sure.

My Suggestion: Look for another brand of tires;)

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I hate them, now, the screwed up thing is I found another good deal on a set of iforged 22's, but they too are with toyo's :confused:

3. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Jay's 22's?

4. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    yeap, he's not that far from me... the wheels are ok, but the tires... ah, don't think I want to make that mistake again, & if you take the tires out of the equation it's not a great deal anymore... still tempting though...

5. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Those are total hotness though . . if the centers are painted . . . & you upsize those brakes

View attachment 139972

6. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    that's exactly what I have in mind, I want to color key them in black pearl to match my fx... I like the wheels, but I know I'm going to hate the tires & by the time I buy them & real set of tires I'm spending $$$, makes me think I should just spend a bit more $$ & really pick a rim that I love... those are cool, but then there going to make my puny brakes look even smaller too I'm afraid... damn, wish I had a few wheelbarrows full of cash at times like this :)

7. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    oh, & thanks for that picture, you just made my decision even harder now:p

8. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    I was thinking the same thing.
    It's a sweet setup, but it's gonna cost some money to do it right. The spokes have to be painted.

9. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    painting them is the easy part for me... I've been anxious to color key a set of wheels for my fx, don't like my current ones enough to do it to them though... there on borrowed time with me right now & I'll leave them straight black to be easier to sell when the time comes, or maybe keep as winter wheels... don't know about 22" w/35 series tires in the snow, think i'll need something else for snow...

the toyo's he has on there are out of the question as far as snow, there summer performance tires... don't know if the toyo t1s' are as bad as the regular proxes either, but some reviews I've been finding also label them as progressivly noisier with use... also there only supposed to last like 20k miles, he claims his has around 15k but still 90% tread left...

10. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    Everything I've heard about the toyo's are what you guys are saying. I'm not sure if it's the tread pattern as well or the compound.

I have the RH06's and I swear by them as many others do. They're similar to the proxies in pattern, but the grooves are wider. This benefits probably not only noise, but in wet and snow conditions. I have yet to feel unsafe in my RH06's in Chicago winters or in rain. Not to say they replace snow tires, but for a summer tire look at an all season versatility, RH06's win in my book.

11. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I had thought about it for a minute also - hahahaha.
    But didnt want the chrome/polished look. I think the black fce looks best on a OB FX.

Imagine all of us outbidding each other for them - :err:

12. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    if I was local I'd buy them. Someone here has to be local!;)

13. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    ha, I guess everyone thought of them:)... Iforged are pretty good wheels, I wouldn't want cheaper weak 22's in nyc, I told him I want to see them, there going to scream that I need big brakes though:frown:

14. jc'sfx

jc'sfx Premium Member Premium

Go for it dude ... :) ... dismount the tires and sell them, by the time you get the spokes painted and get the brakes upgraded someone will buy them.

15. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

wow those painted rims look SEXY! the Toyo's might be noisy, but how well do they handle?

16. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    the regular proxes, they handled well, but so do other tires without the humming drone:p

the f1s are a really soft max perf summer tire, they're supposed to handle like there glued to the ground, but don't last all that long...

17. Hmm, I haven't noticed any noise issues on my new Proxes, 265s and 285s, and I drove out to Palm Springs last weekend after they were mounted on Friday. I've had Nittos, Kumhos, BFGs, and Bridgestones in the past, on various cars, btw.

One thing I really like about the Toyos are the square sidewalls, especially on the softer compound car-size tires.

18. OP
    OP
    fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    I think the noise comes as they age. Both sets I have owned were used and both created the same noise and slight vibration. I think toyo is redesigning the proxes because of these problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.