Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

time to upgrade audio!

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Electronics & Lighting' started by jbaker1121, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    hey guys!
    i've cruised around the site and among others and i've decided that i'm going to do some audio upgrading. I've read thru most of the audio threads and liked some of what i saw,soem of which i didnt.

i have the tech package with nav, 5cd, etc...... and not a dvd player(so i have the tape player in that flip oven area) sooooo i was wondering if i could get good subs and maybe speakers and stil use the factory headunit AKA to keep the process reletivly cheaper than, say, spending $1000+ on a uber-speaker extravaganza setup lol.

i decided tat when i do get my subs, i was gonna go with JL.....except i have no idea what im going to do about placement, or amps, etc.

sooooo thats wher eoyu gusy come in!!!!
    discuss and enjoy and help plz!!!

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    keeping the stock tech head & replacing the bose amps & speakers is probably going to be your best option... def doable no problem, cost is going to be determined by the components you pick & weather your installing yourself or not, it's not impossible to spend over a grand on just a set of front speakers, & it's not impossible to get the amp(s) & all speakers for under $500 too... I would say stay away from the real budget stuff for this to even be a worthwhile upgrade to begin with, jl makes decent stuff, but I would say don't limit yourself to just jl because it's jl, get the best equiptment for the task & fitment

3. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    well yeah. but most liekly im going to just get some subs and amps for right now, then maybe continue the audio later, becuase im runnign abit low on funds, and im going to college after the summer, so imma tryto get money for a plenum, lowering springs, and my audio------

i think im gonna just stick with somoe subs in the trunk and some amps,
    ---if i listen to mostly rock/rap/dance aka alot of bass mostly, what is my best bet for great sound at a good price. i dont know if im even going to get too custom--i might just sink the speakers like rookie or maybe just get a box so i can keep my spare.

which speakers/amps/setups do you guys reccomend?
    dont get too expensive on me!!!
    i would liek to spend a grand at most

does anyone know if there are any custom-fits enclosures for the fx online?

p.s. if i decide to go with a simple box, can you guys tell me if these are anygood 9if they actually work---ebay is iffy sometimes)

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-JL-AUDIO-1...ryZ32823QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-JL-AUDIO-12-S...ryZ32823QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

help plzzz!!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  4. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    most guys build there system backwards, planning the bass above all else, as if that's the most important thing in car audio. well,. as far as sound quality, that's just wrong, but since you are a young kid it only makes sense that you would think that way:p

if you want a really nice sounding system just adding a big sub & amp is not the way to get there, but everyone has there own idea of what they think sounds good & what they think they want, personally, my best advice to you is that in order for bass to sound "good" it has to have the support of the rest of the system throughout the whole frequency range, otherwise, your just making noise, if your goal is to shake the girls skirt across the street then that's fine I guess, but if your looking to make your whole music sound good I'd say reconsider what level it is that you plan to take the rest of the system too before deciding on the last part, the bass...

personally, I'd advise you to build the rest of the system first, then add enough bass to support the rest of the system, mega bass doesn't make a good sounding car all by itself, & many beginners make the mistake of allocating most of there budget to the bass alone & wind up with what amounts to a crappy system with a lot of boom... but no really nice music. I'd recommend upgrading the front components with the best drivers you can afford, power them with a decent amp, & then determine how much bass that will support. don't forget processing, cause once you eliminate the Bose amps you have none, & processing is very important in the overall picture. don't think I expect you to take this advice really, but just thought I'd give it anyway... theres a whole lot more to music than subs, wish you were local to me so I could show you what a great system sounded like with just a single 10" sub, once you really hear & appreciate the difference you'll know what I mean, & you'd see just how good bass can sound without huge bass alone...

I'm sure others will come in here & tell you to get that sub & this amp... sorry, I can't do that :) if your not looking to go too nuts & are going to keep the rest of the bose system in place that's fine, but then you definatley don't need a huge amount of bass to begin with, just start with smaller, but higher quality bass, so overall the car will sound better than just throwing a pair of 12's back there with 800 watts pushing it & then wondering why it don't sound great after you just spend a grand on bass...

5. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    i am local to you! hahah i live in new york, like 30 minutes away from you.

i am going to take your advice, since i know nothing on the subject! haha. anyway, since i now know that i need the other components first, i'm going to need somebody to step in to help me through the process who has knowledge, you know? possibly you? lol. i want to get a good system, but not a crazy one, and not an uber expensive one. that's why i thought that since the bose one is already decent that a simple sub would help it out---which i guess was wrong lol. anyways, i know of two places that will do the job well for me, so im open for oninions and options and such.

so now i know what i need i guess:

better amp, a sub, and front speakers, etc.

help!

6. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    yeah i was planning on keeping the other bose components and getting nice, but not too expensive, subs to make the sound all around better---cuz the bose system is still really good comapred to alot of other vehicle's

but stilll---I NEED HELP FINDING THE RIGHT ONE HAHA

how about this?
    http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/tlink.cfm

7. Deecarp

Deecarp Premium Member Premium

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    I think T-cad is telling some good things to think about. He is right, bass is not the completion of music, but just a part. your mids and highs is what makes your music what it is. every component has it on characteristics and you'll need to find whats good to your ear. some components are bright in realitive to high frequencies, and others aren't or even fade depend on decibles you play your tunes. do your research in regards to quality and to some degree your budget. Don't just say i'll get something because it cheap because some time you get what you pay for. think about what type of speakers you'll be using. Will they be co, tri or separate components, check for the correct replacement sizes and depth for which locations you'll be utilizing. think about how you listen to music. materials also have a play in what we would considered good, best, and better as best buy would say. That was not a plug for best buy either. Consider your time along with your investment, will it be DIY, or a Pro-install. either way you'll have some down time with your rig. There are plenty of folks here that can, I'm sure, talk you through it if it's a DIY, or just give pointers. no matter what, it will be your time, money and most of all your patients that will get you to where and what you want in the end.

8. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    i'm definately gonna go pro-install, but with the research i've done so far, i still need to pick out which speakrs im going to use and such.

any suggestions, anyone?

i wish it was as easy as: hey, yeah i want better sound and a bigger bump in the trunk...hook me up.
    that would be sweet

9. Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Depends on your ear MA Audio, Infinity, MB Quarts, Boston, Polk, and Rockford's/lightening the list goes on. But these are manufactures that I've used before, others that I've comes across in passing. the underline manufactures I'm using now, along with a phoenix gold Sub. not to bright sounding just right for me.
    Focal will be my next choice I love the mids very solid, depth may be a problem though. I'll recommend Boston for sound quality, not bad very balance and smooth. some types of music sound a little bright from my infinity ref at times, overall I like both.

10. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i don't knwow hat im going to do. i guess ill go to one of those places that has the speakers all set up so i can listen and such.

i guess ill go with boston acoustics or infinitys or jl's or mtx's

i dont know im not really knowledgble in the subject. thank you for helping though.
    i need to find a local place with the speakrs set up

11. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I'm not much of a audiophile..more of a videophile =), lol. But both turbo and Dee have brought up good points which you should really think about before doing your audio system. You will need a setup for the type of music you listen to most and just something that will will go BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! and make alot of noise. Good luck with the system.

12. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:

dude, I never said you can't just add a sub to the factory bose system, all I'm saying is don't go out & fill the back of your fx up with a big box with like a pair of 12's & some big amp & think your going to wind up with some nice system.

if your happy with the bose system overall & just want to add some bass you can def do that, if your on a tight budget & you need it done for you then that's probably the best way for you to go really, & what I would tell you to do, just the thread said audio upgrade & you spoke about the other speakers too & I'm talking more system approach, not just sub upgrade.

decide what it is you really want, if your going to keep the bose I wouldn't go larger than one good 10 install, which will be more than enough to easily overpower your whole stock bose system, any more than that is just gonna hurt all around, really a good 8" install would even do the job. I love heavy bass, but you gotta have the rest of the system to back it up or it's just noise

13. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    well i was thinking about simply replacing the stock 10"s with really good 10" subs and maybe getting a different amp, and thats it. it will make the sound all aroudn better for now, i think, and then when i get enoguh saved up all fix up the rest of the system. but for now i might jsut replace the stock subs and amp, if thts possible

14. i'm not sure if this is posted elsewhere, i did a search and came up with nothing. what are the impedances of the factory speakers? i am going to start shopping around for some speakers, and maybe upgrade the amp after a while. i am wondering what kind of speakers i need to buy in order to power them with the factory amp.

15. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    shitty ones. haha.

i discovered that all im going to do is build a box with 2 10" JL's and an AMP, and keep everything else stock. this was i can use the factory headunit, etc, and only spend around a grand.....but still get great sound!

do you guys think thatll work out for the time being---instead of instlalign all new speakers-----i jsut want increased bass----so 2 10's and a amp--all JL will do it for me.....no?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  16. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
  17. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Stock 10"s :eek:. Did yours come with stock 10" subs or are they the 5.75" ones we all love.

18. Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Yes you can do just that, just realize that you need a module to convert your factory lines from harness to your sub, an RCA line out to plug into your aftermarket amp for your sub. I hope this is making since to you. If it is the DIY you'll have to remove your spare, plastic liner and check your harness going to the bose amp. you'll need disconnect and tap the remote source, constant, and a separate ground conection. I hope this will help as well...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  19. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Believe it or not, since i saw that picture over a year ago, thats the same type of set up i wanted. he can still recline his rear seats too. i would also put a piano hinge on the floor so i can still have access to the spare tire and stuff.

20. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:

i mean the 5.75's. they equal a little aboe 10 so its like having 1 10 haha