Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

The APS Single Project

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Boost, Track & Tuning' started by EG3, Nov 26, 2007.

1. EG3

EG3 Premium Member Premium

Well, I literally spent the last 1.5 months online looking for a good used kit simultaneously worrying if the kit is good, working etc and I found one just 30 miles from where I am :)

It's an APS single. Bought it at $2600.. Everything is in it minus injectors and the seller had an extra box of all new bolts, nuts, lines that was included in the price.. I talked to my tuner and we will be starting to work on it in 2 weeks time. The main modifications would be some extensions on the intercooler piping and maybe some routing on the exhaust side to clear AWD. It shouldn't really exceed 15 hours for the whole thing so I'm hoping it'll all cost me less than $4000 all together.

The turbo sits low on the engine unlike the TN kit so the only thing worries me a lot is all the salt and stuff we have in Boston during winter.. I think the belly would protect it somehow but still it might be an issue..

I will post pics of the parts soon. ALL feedback on what to do, how to do is appreciated as I don't want to depend on only one person (the tuner) for everything..

-Ege-

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Congrats EgeFx! I know how eager you were to get this project going. Hope the installation and tuning goes well. Keep us in the loop on the the in's and out's =)

3. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Excellent EgeFX.. Great to hear that you are getting this done to your baby. As Pierce said, keep us in the loop. I am curious to see what your results will be. You will be the first '06,to my knowledge, to do something this aggressive to their FX..

4. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Good luck!!!

5. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    cool man, good luck with it, I want more power too:p

6. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Congrats and goodluck!

7. OP
    OP
    EG3

Thanks guys for the support.. I'm on the hunt for the injectors right now as the kit didn't come with those.. Other than that, I'll be using my emanage ultimate instead of the unichip and will be going after a VERY conservative, safe low-boost turbo setup. This kit made about 380whp in the previous owner.. I'll be way happy if I can get even 330.. He said he was running it at 8lbs and I think I'll be able to get low 300s with 6lbs, no internals and no trans mods.. What do you think?

8. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Sounds promising and very doable. Just have to get a good tune.

9. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Our trans are built to handle 500HP but better be safe than sorry..

If you are going all out might as weel protect the Tranny and you should think about an additional oil coolant for you tranny.

rookie, fxlr8 and cube would be the authority on this issue..

just my 2 cents...

Mod on my brother..

10. OP
    OP
    EG3

I'm not really shooting for even 400 :) Anything that'd take me over 300whp at this point is pretty good. I might think about more output next year but if I do, I'll definitely get some work done on the tranny..

11. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

I think, especially with turbo kits we should be worried about the TQ, i dont think our trannys can safely handle over 350 TQ or something like that (i remember cube posting something a while ago)

12. OP
    OP
    EG3

So I took the pics today to send them to my tuner to see if we need anything. So far everything looks to be good except no injectors. The seller said that he ran the stock injectors with the kit. Do you think that's possible while still making 370 whp?? Either way, I think I'm going to get some 440cc injectors..

Another thing is that he experienced one problem with the kit while using. The oil check valve that came initially with the kit failed and resulted in irregular oil pressure. He said he talked to APS at the time and purchased a new valve. Supposedly, APS said that the valves made in Mexico were defective and they replaced his with the US made one.. Below is the pic of the newer one.. Do you guys know anything about this??

View attachment 134018

13. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

This is for the sump pump? It's supposed to check the oil pump unless under boost or is it the other way around?

14. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I think the check valve is on the return side from the turbo. I think it's to keep the oil line to the turbo pressurized, without it the oil feed to the turbo would be just like a bleed off & pressure leak & reduce oil pressure all around.. the turbo feed would be like a leak in the whole oil pressure system really, as the turbo feed is tapped off of the main oil pressure.

15. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I see Issa's FX in the background. But man GTM seems to do some excellent work. Everything looks so clean. Have to go check them out soon.

16. OP
    OP
    EG3

I think turbocad is right.. They had irregular oil pressure with the defective valve. With the replaced one, they said they didn't have any problems.. Supposedly APS have an electronic one right now.. I'll check it sometime this week..

17. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Any updates?

18. OP
    OP
    EG3

Every part is all set but there's a chance I might leave US permanently this summer. I'll know for sure in mid April, so until then everything is on hold.. I thought of getting it done and sell it at the fx forums if I had to leave but I don't think I'll get what I'll pay for the mods to the custom stuff.. Come mid-April, we'll see what happens..

19. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Permanently is such a long time :frown: