Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Take Apart Those Headlights

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Write-Ups' started by fxlr8, Jun 2, 2007.

1. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Tools:

Oven
    Phillips Screw Driver

***BEFORE DOING THIS, TAKE ALL THE BULBS OUT AND HID COMPONENTS***

1.Unscrew the 3 screws from the back of the headlight.

DSCN0622.jpg

2.Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. When your oven gets up to 400 degrees....turn it off...(TURN IT OFF) << remember this step****.

3.Put your headlight on a cookie sheet or tray and stick it in the oven that is now off. Leave it in the oven for 4-5 minutes and close the door.

DSCN0623.jpg

4.After the 5 minutes in the oven you can now go ahead and pry the two halves apart.

DSCN0624.jpg

5.To remove the reflector you are going to unscrew 4 screws that hold the reflector from the clear front of the headlight.

DSCN0625.jpg

6.This is the time to paint, angel eye, or whatever your plans are.

DSCN0626.jpg

7.Reassembly is the reverse of the above.

*you can put the two halves together as close as you can....reheat and then bring them together even more, then put the 3 screws back in.

*you can re-use the same adhesive

***ALSO REMEMBER WHEN USING THE OVEN THE HEADLIGHTS WILL GET HOT.. PLEASE USE GLOVES OR WHATEVER YOU CAN TO PREVENT ANY BURNS***

Attached Files:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. N2FX

N2FX Premium Member Premium

Northridge, CA
    2006 fx35
    Garages:
    Re: Take Apart Those Headlights (fxlr8)

That looks easier than the heat gun method I used. Next time, I'll do it this way.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    Re: Take Apart Those Headlights (N2FX)

Somewhat, just make sure you turn off the oven when you put the headlights in. I left mine on once and had headlight soup.

4. N2FX

N2FX Premium Member Premium

Northridge, CA
    2006 fx35
    Garages:
    Re: Take Apart Those Headlights (fxlr8)

Lol...That must have been tasty, ... the angel eyes will probably be the next mod. so if so I'll do it this way too. Thx Jeff... and send the Recipe for the soup JK

5. good tips.

6. E_FX

E_FX Member

do you have to remove the bumper first?

7. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    pretty much...

8. sir21

sir21 iS VIP iS VIP

PNW
    2005 Ford Excursion
    Garages:
    I just removed the top part. Turned the steering left/right and bent the wheel arch "mud guard" plastic back. Now that I look back at it I think it just would have been easier to remove the whole thing

9. Rubare

Rubare Premium Member Premium

NYC
    Garages:
    Nice DIY Jeff thanks..

10. boosted4runner

boosted4runner Member

PNW
    No before/after pics? ;)

11. bleedingsujit

bleedingsujit Premium Member Premium

if this helps....
    ///9042&page=7&highlight=krylon+fusion+satin+black

just keep scrolling down

12. sirtrojan

sirtrojan Member

Poland, Warsaw
    2006 FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    The oven must be 60 cm wide!

13. Jmess86

Jmess86 Member

Charlton, MA
    Garages:
    So I guess my plan with the Easy-Bake wont work :frown:

Nice DIY btw. I was going to try doing this to mine but if I screwed up a new headlight is around $1k and I didn't want to risk that mistake. Parents own a body shop so I have plenty of headlights to practice on.

14. MB2702

MB2702 Member

san diego
    Garages:
    Is it really hard to do or easy to mess up? What type of pain do you suggest to make it blat black? Does it matter?

15. bleedingsujit

bleedingsujit Premium Member Premium

the housing is safe from external debris so the paint will stay fresh for forever. krylon fusion flat/satin/gloss black are all good choices depending on your preference. be patient and apply about 3 coats with long breaks in between. that should do it.
    taking the headlight apart is not difficult at all. grab some gloves, a philips and a flat head screwdriver and your good to go.

16. allanmaxt

allanmaxt Member

ny
    2014 Infiniti Q50
    very good info there guys

17. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Chicago
    2003 FX45
    Andy
    Garages:
    Taking apart the headlights is VERY straight forward. FXLR8's DYI very detailed. Just make sure you TURN OFF the oven when it gets to the right temperature. Wear some glooves, the headlight is HOT when you take it out of the oven! Have fun.

I heat my oven to 300 degree, turn it off and put the headlight into the oven for about 4-5 minutes. I chose to take all wires off the headlight except the red one that attached to the projector that you cannot get to. Do one headlight at a time. Once it came out of the oven, just use a flat head screw driver and pry on different location enough that you can pull them apart by hand.

18. whin9000

whin9000 Member

Crystal, MN
    2010 FX35 AWD
    If I plan on adding angel eyes/LEDs, what kind of adhesive should I use in order to attach them to the headlight? Would sticking the headlights back into the oven to put it together melt the angel eyes/LEDs adhesive?

19. OP
    OP
    fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    When I did a set of angel eyes for another person I used a very thin strand of copper wire to hold them in place.

20. la_fx35

la_fx35 Staff Moderator

Chicago
    2003 FX45
    Andy
    Garages:
    I use J-B Weld brand J-b Kwik eproxy. No problem with sticking LED AE & glue back into the oven to put the headlight back together nor below freeze temperature so far. I just put four drops of the eproxy on the projector shroud and stick the AE to it. Put a couple more drop if you like, but be careful not put too much otherwise you will see the epoxy runs.