Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Supercharger question

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Boost, Track & Tuning' started by jbaker1121, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    hey guys.
    i've decided im going to save up some money in order to get a supercharger.

except...i dont know what to look for in a S/C and need help.

i know fx8lr is selling his for around $3000
    and i knowthe LMS one can be found for around $2000

but can oyu gfuys help me find a good one for a good price? you guys have all the connections haah.

thanks........:wub:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

If you mean me? I'm not selling one......but Fxl8r is in the future.

3. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Well... you can always use the my350z.com forums to try and find Stillen SC'ers, Vortech's, etc... eBay has them every now and then (like the Stillen on there now for like $3000 or so), and as Psiclne pointed out, fxlr8 is selling his Stillen in the near future.

ShadyJC is selling his LMS SC'er last I remember, and I'll be selling my LMS SC'er soon... that is if I don't put it back on :4tongue:

4. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    shady's is gone, his lms & bbk is going on my fx in a few weeks:cool:

5. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Oooo...nice buy John.

6. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Wow John. You really are going all out. Now you're not gonna be just cosmetic

7. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

theres a few different superchargers...my main advice; register at g35driver.com and my350z.com and research yourself on superchargers.

the only reason why i say you should research yourself is when reading about FI you will learn many new things. stillen obviously wont give you the most power and well for some people they really hate the whine. you can look at vortech which is also very reliable (i might be getting a vortech when i get hte money), and there is no whine like the stillen that i hate.

you will also run into turbos, built motors, twin turbos etc and might like another option more. basically read up on everything and come to a conclusion of what YOU like the best. take the pros and cons into consideration that way you can decide what FI option is best for YOU not just whats the best option in general. hope this helps.

8. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    anything helps haha. but i appretiate it.

this kind of goes back to my first thread i ever posted.....

i want the best bang for buck for F/I. is that not a s/c?

9. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Well well well then... maybe I'll hold onto my LMS charger after seeing what you do with it. Shady was real quiet on the numbers and I... well incase you didn't know the story, I kinda romped on it too much with my own "temporary" tune that I thought was very conservative :err:

I'd like to see numbers before I ditch it.

10. aiya

aiya First Genner iS VIP

NYC
    Garages:
    Sweet! Now I HAVE to do that engine sway too! haha

11. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    yeah, this powerdyne unit has it's drawbacks, probably not the best choice really, but this was just my way of wimping out & going for the quick easy cheap fix. I look at it as temporary for now, who knows, maybe I'll be OK with it & be satisfied for a while really, but I'm looking at it as temporary at best.... maybe I'll get lucky & blow my engine too, that'll force the issue of an engine swap on me:4tongue: but then again, I won't be trying to blow it, if I get a good year or so out of it I think I'll be happy...

the lms powerdynes are not the best pieces of equipment if your looking to go with higher boosts, there pretty safe up to the 7psi range, shady's setup is with a 6.5psi pulley, that's with no inter cooler... once you add an intercooler to the mix you will get around a 2 psi drop to the manifold, now bumping the lms unit up to 9 psi to compensate is where the supercharger reliability seems to go away... add to the fact that powerdyne is no longer in business, & this could be a recipe for disaster... before I consider adding an inter cooler & really playing I'm going to try & source some parts & services on the powerdyne unit... if there are some options there & it's not too suicidal, then I'd love to inter cool it

the safest thing would probably be to just stay as is 6.5psi non intercooled... the boost levels are low enough that an inter cooler is not really mandatory at that point... I'll play & see where it goes.... at least the end results will be that my 35 will at least be able to beat all you 45'ers... I guess at this point right now that's going to have to do... at least this will be a bit more significant than just bolting on an intake & exhaust... one thing I never even asked, cube, how does the powerdyne unit sound? I hope it don't sound like crap or it'll be off as fast as it went on:neutral: jbaker, I may have a deal for you sooner rather than later:)

at least the powerdyne will look pretty, I have a Crawford intake that I'll polish to match & it'll look bling when the hood is up... would look even nicer with a front mount though... who knows, this might be the beginning of me going off the deep end here, either it'll hold up & give me what I need for a while or it'll just be the catalyst of a chain reaction that goes who knows were really, well see:cool:

also, the lms manage system & the added box for timing retard is kind of a band-aid type situation, it gets the job done but rather crudely, my first mod past this may be to add a good stand alone, maybe... but, that would kinda limit me or be a waste if I go with a swap later.... again, I'll see how it goes...

12. I would just set it @ 6.5~7.0 psi without Intercooler. I don't think LMS kit can generate gopes of power anyways...when I had my LMS kit, tune wasn't so great...everytime I raced G35 Coupe, I get better 0-50ish but then G caught up pretty fast. It looks nice in the engine bay and it sounds awesome but performance-wise I think Stillen wins. How much did you pay for your LMS kit? If the price was right then you have nothing to loose I guess. It will match nicely with your Polished Crawford Plenum.

13. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I think I paid a lot, around 3k, with the lms manage, a seperate timing retard module & an o2 gauge... I do realize the limitations of it, but considering the limitations of the rest of the drivetrain I guess it's a pretty safe bet not to blow stuff up... I hope it sounds good & a little boost for now should be ok I guess...

14. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Bang for buck a used stillen or vortech are great. Both have their downsides in noise, one is louder at idle one is louer under boost. The vortech makes linear power which is cool as long as you don't mind being in the higher rpm band to get the seat pinning. Torque will be higher on the stillen for sure.

Vortech pipe pumbing on a tech package fx might be an issues due to the icc in the front, the stillen front mount is tall enough that the lines could go around it, vortech would probably clear too but something to look into for the tech guys.

Meth injection is an option for the powerdyne if heat soak is a concern.

15. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    so, how does the powerdyne sound??:)

meth injection sounds interesting, gotta look into that...

16. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    so i should find a used stillen? lol

17. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

I've never heard the powerdyne in person, lebron had a video up a while back racing with a G. I imagine it to sound like most of the other centrifugal superchargers at idle which is a little noisy bearing wise. Driving they are generally quiet until you start getting into boost and hear all the air being sucked in.

18. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    one reason I went with the riskier powerdyne over the others is it's supposed to be really really quiet cause it's belt driven internally... the noise the others make aren't the bearings it's the gear drives... the impeller has to spin much faster than the pulley, all others use gear drive,the powerdynes don't have too many other problems other than the belts at higher boost, but I've been digging & I found belts no problem & everything else really seems very servicable with it,

the biggest drawback is they won't do much over 9psi without upgrades(guys make billet impellers that can go to 12psi), but with everything else in the drivetrain stock that don't seem so bad... the powerdyne def isn't for a built motor or max power, but with a good tune it's a nice upgrade without making a lot of noise I hope, I think the low noise is what really swayed me to that, hopefully the internal belt isn't a nightmare to replace.... I'm still dying to know what it sounds like under boost:p

19. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    i want one :(