Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

STS Rear-mount turbo

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Boost, Track & Tuning' started by Frankiago, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Turns out the pricing might not be in the right price range.

Greddy TT Stage 1:
    Greddy TT Kit with Intercooler
    Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
    Greddy Type RS BOV and Flange
    NGK Iridium One Step Colder Plug Set
    UTEC with Pressure sensor and base map
    $6849 shipped

The only arguement against this horrible HORRIBLE pricing idea is the fact that the rear mount is more unique and that it's a much easier install.

What I think about the "more unique" part is... who cares?!?! TWINS vs. a single turbo, come on :p

I may not get the STS after all and might just go with twins instead. Make proper use of this built motor.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

That's a hard price to swallow. Also look into the eternal motorsports turbo kit. It uses a single GT35, with our spacing around the engine bay you could probably put in a larger downpipe.

3. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    The only thing I could find about the Eternal kit was a post on I believe Fresh Alloy from around Sept. 2005 (who stated $6300 full kit), and the Eternal Motorsports official website does not work. I've never heard of it either :p

Well, I guess we'll just have to see if STS lowers their pricing.

4. rookie

One of the guys I go dragging with has it. Puts down good torque.

Saw a APS TT in the classifieds on my350z for under 6k, that could be fun. :D Only thing I'm not 100% positive on is the clearance around your transfer case.

5. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    No offense to anyone, but I will never buy used FI again. Ever. Going the cheap route has only ended up costing me soooo much more than I originally intended, and I would be so screwed if something like this happened again. So this time around I'm gonna be spending ALOT more to make sure I get what I want safely.

6. rookie

I understand where you're coming from the APS I mentioned is brand new in the box.

7. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Might end up goin with the STS.

The newest release is that CIN in North Carolina will charge $6800 installed.

I maaaay jump on this. They want to do mine with a larger turbo. I'll break in the built motor, and heat wrap the exhaust from headers up to the muffler, so that when they put the turbo there, the exhaust'll be nice and warm for it.

8. rookie

Mucho better price. What size turbo are they thinking to bump you up?

9. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    I'll find out... I think if I heat-wrap my exhaust from headers to the turbo, I should be able to go up in size on both ends of the turbo w/out a change in lag vs. the other guys runnin the stock kit.

10. Tkrtape3

Tkrtape3 Member

Cube,
    How do you like the built motor?What kind of increases have you seen.
    How's it feel?TQ wise? Like I said before I'm looking at staying N/a
    and have been toying with doing the JWTs2 cam set up but I know,if I do that I should just go ahead and bite the bullit and get the whole thing built.

Did your work get done local..I don't know who I can trust locally to do the work.That Glenview Fields does tuner work..but I'm not sure.
    Thanks

Tkr

11. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    try http://www.performanceautowerks.com/

From what I hear is good. They did do some custom exhaust for another FXer. Also, I was inquiring to get work done there and they always pick up the phone and respond to all my e-mails fast. I haven't had the chance to make it out there but they get an A+ on customer service so far.

http://www.amsperformance.com/contact.php is another one. No experience here.

Yes, fields infiniti of glencoe does do FI. Great dealership, been going there for about 10 years ever since it moved from Golf Ave. Dealership installs? I don't even want to know the labor charges.

12. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    AMS is a great GREAT place :p

And I'm not just saying that because my brother works there... :wub:

But anyways, as far as the built motor... it all depends on what you're building it for. Right now I'm running on a built motor that was designed to handle boost. Without boost, it's weaker than the stock motor. The compression ratio was dropped from 10.3:1 to 9.0:1 and I lost quite a bit of low end power from it honestly. It still kicks in and I'd say is just about as quick as before after ~4500 RPM, but in the beginning it's got no umph.

I'm not sure of the principles behind what lowering the compression ratio would do to the powerband, but I'm just giving first-hand experience. Keep in mind my old motor had 70k miles, this one has 300 miles.

You can always stay NA and get a cheaper build designed for NA power. Lighter and higher compression forged pistons, cams, springs and valve work to rev to 7.5k RPM, and last (BUT DEFINITELY NOT LEAST) stroker kit :LOL:

Check out my350z.com's various stroker motors if you wanna stay FI.

The 3.8L and 4.2L motors are pretty f'in sweet.

13. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Oh and btw, go with a motor company that does nothing but take in used blocks and ship out built motors like builtzmotors.com and other shops because they have the most experience. I wouldn't trust any other but WELL KNOWN throughout the Z community to build a motor.

14. Tkrtape3

Tkrtape3 Member

Thanks as always good stuff...Ched there labor's a bit much but they are a great Stealership.I was going to them when they were over in Highland Park where the Porsche dealership is now.

Thanks again

tkr

15. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    After over 3 weeks of this forum being dead, I have some news.

Just put a down payment on the STS rear-mount kit.

They're redesigning the intercooler because the current one is restrictive. I'm awaiting the finalizations of the new intercooler before they put my kit together, and I'm also upgrading to their stage 2 (60-1) turbo. I will suffer a bit of spool time, but I hope to compensate for that with my headers and test pipes (already on), a new Y-pipe, and new exhaust from Y-back, all completely header-wrapped until the turbo manifold.

The spring options range from 5 psi to 11.75 psi out of the box. Of course I went with 11.75 psi ;)

I hope to stay at ~12 lbs boost for quite a while before upgrading if I'm not satisfied. I will probably run an 8 lb map and 12 lb map via UTEC.

The cool thing about UTEC is that you can hook up a laptop via USB. The cool thing about my FX is that it has a laptop permanently installed :biggrin: Sooo I'm gonna have the application integrated into the RoadRunner interface to bring up UTEC at any time on the touch screen :rofl:

I haven't been this happy since the supercharger, pre-detonation :err:

16. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Oh, I forgot pricing...

$4995 shipped, but I'm upgrading to $5395 shipped with the bigger turbo. New intercooler is a free upgrade. Sales guy was talking about seeing if he can get the kit pieced together and shipped with the old intercooler and then ship out the new one when it's released, but I don't want to have to get re-tuned with a new intercooler and then deal with the swap and then shipping a big ass intercooler back to them.

They may have ONE more kit left in the North East region that uses the "old style" side piping (old style $4995 new style $5495). The "old style," being on the outsides instead of down the center next to the exhaust, nets about 23 rwhp more on Z's due to the exhaust heating the "new style."

The reason for the re-route was the low G's and Z's scraping the tubing on everything.

There's a shop called CIN Motorsports in North Carolina that did pretty much STS rear mount #'s 4 and 5, and are now working with STS to make a dual kit. The dual kit is going to use dual exhaust down the center to 2 turbos, intake of the turbos Y-joining and then 1 fat intake tube running alongside dual exhaust tubes up the center, Y-splitting and feeding into 2 sides of an intercooler, then out the top center or top driver's side of this larger intercooler and into the TB.

I don't like the sound of that gameplan, but hey... I'm not the one with a performance car shop. If I were to do it on an FX, there would be no Y pipes and I'd route dual intakes along the sides into an intercooler, then out the top center of the intercooler into a custom intake plenum that feeds to the very front of the motor. I think the only reason our throttle body is where it is... because of Maxima's and Murano's mounting.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  17. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Congrats Cube!!!! Keep us updated on the installation progress and actual tests. Very happy for you brah I know you have waited ALONG time for this. :biggrin:

18. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    I like schmurbo...bump for updates :)

19. OP
    OP
    Frankiago

IL
    Placed order 9/7/07
    Changed order 9/10/07

Change to order was $400 cheaper option

Have yet to get refunded the $400

The kit has yet to be packaged up, still waiting on the turbo

I'm very very frustrated with their customer service and I've been starting to hear about installation issues on 350Z's

I'm starting to have buyer's remorse and I will probably cancel my order tomorrow (Monday).

:mad:

20. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    That stinks, tell them you are a mod for an FX/EX forum and you will be doing reviews and a write up, since you are the first fx with the kit maybe they can hook you up.............or maybe I am still sleeping and dreaming I'm writing this.