Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Stock exhaust Modding

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by FX_Allen, Sep 3, 2007.

1. A bit curious on this... last night my friends and I got drunk and started talking about car modding... and it came to the topic of what exhausts I wanted... And someone stated that removing my Catalystic converter and resenator would improve power and noise... How much power? How much noise? Any negative effects with this removal?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

No cats will mean some added exhaust smell, no resonator will mean some additional noise. Both should free up some exhaust flow but you're still stuck with stock piping which is not all that great for flow.

3. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Plus no cat in Cali equals big fines.

4. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

5. Question: Upgrading to a high powered aftermarket exhaust is always the way to go. But if you just want to modify the sound, Does removing just the resonator make a significantly noticeable difference or would it be a waste of time and effort?

6. john

john Member

Removing the cat(s) is not ever a good idea. You can most likely find high flow cats for your application. Resonator? Sure - get rid of it.

7. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Removing your cats will give you test pipes; what i just ordered from fast intentions. they are resonated so there is no rasp in the exhaust. test pipes will give you the best gains N/A and F/I because they are not restrictive at all.

If you cant get test pipes, a set of high flow cats is a great option too because the power difference is very minimal, although they cost a LOT more.

btw, i heard removing the resonator from the stock exhaust does absolutely nothing for the sound...i think da mayor tried it on his FX45

8. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Forget fiddling with modding the oem exhaust and just pick up a good aftermarket exhaust system. Which ever way you go you are not going see any significant gains in power but if you pick the right aftermarket exhaust system you will definitely HEAR a big difference.

9. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I have resonated test pipes and yes they're still raspy. I've had them for well about 15k miles.

As for a significant change in the sound, mine got a lot louder when I put in a Flowmaster muffler.

I'm taking it off and putting stock back on for now and will sell the Flowmaster. Why might you ask? I'm going with dual exhaust when I get twins, and I'll have to use 2 mufflers with the true dual.

I might throw it on eBay when it's off, but like all things of mine for the FX I'll post it up here.

Will soon have resonated test pipes, Flowmaster muffler that uses stock tips and pretty much bolts right up (had them weld in the Flowmaster where the stock muffler was so it used mostly stock piping), and much, much later a set of headers for sale. In a somewhat unrelated topic, I'll also be selling the supercharger as soon as I stop being lazy and remove the fuel pump.

10. sgvxcheese

sgvxcheese Member

Southern California
    infiniti fx 35
    i was down at the Nismo shop in west covina yesturday to get my car serviced. on the wall they had a muffler for the 350z. just curious..would just that muffler fit onto our cars?

11. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Yup! all you would have to do is extend the tips (well actually the thinner piping right before the tips) so that it will clear the bumper. if you want to go for the full exhaust system it will bolt on too.

the nismo y-pipe will only fit if you are RWD and the midpipe bolts up perfectly. you will also need the g35 extension piece that goes between the y-pipe and midpipe

12. sgvxcheese

sgvxcheese Member

Southern California
    infiniti fx 35
    any welding involved? or just bolt on>

13. Frankiago

IL
    You can use the Nismo Y and not require any G35 extensions if you cut the 2 flanges of the Y that go to the cats and weld in the proper length extension there instead of a single extension after the Y.

Otherwise, if RWD, you can use the Nismo setup with the G35 extension, but not sure about the exhaust tips... they still need to be extended back some to clear the bumper right?

14. sgvxcheese

sgvxcheese Member

Southern California
    infiniti fx 35
    would the whole exhaust system for 350z fit actaually? cuz its on sale for 800.

15. Frankiago

IL
    With the above minor modifications, yes. What exhaust is it? Brand?

16. sgvxcheese

sgvxcheese Member

Southern California
    infiniti fx 35
    Nismo

17. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Yes - thats what me, Dr.2k, GTO-Dave & Trainerken have......

18. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    That's a steal! I would jump on that

19. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    where is the nismo on sale for $800?

20. sgvxcheese

sgvxcheese Member

Southern California
    infiniti fx 35
    nismo shop @ the west covina nissan dealership.