Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

squeaky brakes

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by trainerKEN, Jul 9, 2007.

1. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

so, please tell me about this apparent problem with some FX's... I got my 03' FX45 back in March (@30k miles)... and still LOVING IT! But the one thing that's annoying the hell out of me is the squeaky brakes... I was over at .org and did a search and apparently it's common for many FX'rs. I know the brakes are new because... after I bought it from Infiniti of Santa Monica (even though I'm from the OC), I took it into Infiniti of Mission Viejo for something minor... while there... I told them about the brakes squeaking only in reverse... So, they checked them and discovered that the fronts were at around 50% and the rears were at less than 25%!!! So, I went back to Santa Monica and raised hell with them (obivously they never did that... "rigorous" 128 points inspection, long story, I'm not going into it). So, anyway... they replaced them for me.... now I have no squeak in reverse, but I have plenty squeaking going forward :mad: It's really embarrasing when I'm approaching a stop light... and people are looking at me with that "look", as if they are saying... "...buddy, you need new brakes..."

I wanna take it back to the local Infiniti dealership (Mission Viejo), and see if anything can be done about this... since there's a TSB out regarding this matter... but I'm afraid they might give me shit for having aftermarket wheels... AND I painted my calipers... ya know how dealership can be... they'll try anything to get out of situations

and YES, it's still under the original warranty... and NO, I rather NOT deal with Infiniti of Santa Monica... it's too far and frankly... they are a very poorly ran dealership.

anyone with this problem or had this problem please chime in

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Everyone has this problem, but usually in reverse. The TSB, which is some sort of pad & clip replacement, is no remedy. Did they resurface your rotors when they replaced the pads?
    Maybe Rookie can chime in on this. He has a lot of exp. w/ aftermarket solutions, or has tested nearly all of them.

3. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

I highly doubt they resurface the rotors... it was like pulling teeth just to get them to replace the pads...

4. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    That could be why you squeak forward. Does it go away when heated up?

5. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

what do you mean by "heated up"? I'm pretty sure there's NO squeaks when I apply harse braking... is that what you mean?

6. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Heated up, as in when the brakes are not cold

7. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

no, it pretty much squeaks all the time :frown: (going forward)

8. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Not acceptable than, & not normal for this to be happening. Have the dealer do it again. They will

9. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

thanks, I... actually have some time tomorrow...

10. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Sounds good. Dont let the Stealership F@@& with you. They make money off the warranty work too.

11. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

well, what I'm kinda worry about is the fact that I bought it from a dealership elsewhere... they may frawn on that... and also try to use the excuse that the warranty voided (in this case) since I have aftermarket wheels AND I painted the calipers...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  12. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    They will not care where you bought it, nor have issues with the wheels. Brake paint on the other hand could be an issue with some, but for the most part, Inf. dealers do not frown on mods as much as you think. Take it in!

13. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

my brakes are squeeking a lot too...and i feel a slight grinding feeling in the pedal when i brake. not to mention i have to push down a lot more for it to stop. im confident i need new brakes. im just going to go with the OEM ones.

infinitipartsusa.com has them for: $44.98 - fronts, $38.71 - rears. i think its a pretty good deal. how much will the dealer charge to install, i dont think the labour would be more than 1hr would it?

14. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

"an arm and a leg" -seriously

well, I might be wrong, but if you read my first post (of this thread), When Mission Viejo first discovered my brakes being 50%/20%, they quoted me something like $500 for the brakes + labor. That's when I flipped out and told them NOT do any work on it for I needed to bitch with Santa Monica about selling me a (used) car with brakes like that.

15. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    No squeeking problems with the oem pads and the stop tech stage 2 rotors. So I'm thinking it is the oem rotor/pad combo that creates the reverse squeek. I had this same squeek and was the reason I went with the stop tech stage 2 upgrade.

Also, there is sooooooooo much less brake dust I love it! Now my chrome lips can stay shiny alot longer then 2 days! :eek::biggrin:

16. Krayzie

Krayzie AĆ©rospatiale

so with the stoptech rotors and OEM brake pads...you are getting less brake dust?

17. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Most definately! I would get clumps of brake dust on my front wheel lip with the axis pads that came with the stop tech kit.

18. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

what's the stop tech kit?

19. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    It is a brake upgrade kit made by Stop Tech for the infiniti fx35 and 45. It included new slotted or drilled rotors, ss brake lines, cermaic performance pads and brake fluid. There was group buy on the org awhile back. You can still purchase it thru Joe and other sites on the web.

http://mynismo.com/products/?id=2966

20. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

hmmmm no listing for 03'... oh well... I don't need any more things on the "things to mod" list (for now).

BUT I have good news... so this morning I called Infiniti of Mission Viejo about the squeak, but they were pretty busy and couldn't really take me in... so I made an appointment for tomorrow... and since I had all day of nothing to do... I decided to wash/clay bar/wax my FX... anyway when I got to the wheels I actually wiped the brake disc... and now the squeaking is totally gone!!! I guess it was just brake dust... hopefully it won't come back...

p.s. I'm actually kinda embarrass, but at least I admitted it