Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Squeaking Front Console/Dash

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by Chedman13, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    Okay:
    $187.50 labor
    $44.80 for 4 Spacer - headlining - 73982-4l700
    $.64 for 1 Spacer - headlining - 73982-9e000

All this trying to fix a squeaking noise from the front console and dash. I searched both the org and scene and found that it could be the following (at least suggested):
    1) Windshield moving against insulation because it cracked during the cold (the cold part makes sense as it only started when it was winter)
    2) Vents in front (closest to windshield - the defroster ones) are cheap plastic and they rub and make a squeaking sound.

Either way, the dealership could not fix it. They said only other attempt is $375 to remove and replace the dash board.

Any thoughts? Should I take it in for the $375? Cut my losses while I can? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    could be the seat and the center console? my passenger one made a squeaky noise form the seatbelt thingy rubbing against it. haha r u sure its formt he console?

3. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Thanks for the reply. I even confirmed it with the tech in the driver's seat.

After doing a search on TSB's I found out that the FX has a lot of squeaks and the one you listed is just one of them=)

Something in the dash/console is rubbing against each other - most likely insulation or rubber pieces. Just probably not visible unless you take apart the dash, which is I'm hoping I don't have to do.

4. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:

try the ashtray/lighter thingy? or is it higher up like where the speedometer and such is?

5. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Ed, If its not too irritating then I would just let it go. I also have a lot of squeaks and minor rattling from time to time, but I can never pinpoint it and the dealer is no help either. Just listen to music or talk radio and it will strangely disappear ;).

6. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    honestly, nothing in my car squeaks or even rattles (unless i go over bumps and such) otherwise, smooth sailing.......or maybe thats just because i play my music at half vol. all the time...... but whatever :)

7. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    You're right - Car is 4 years old. My ML320 had problems since day one and more major problems than squeaking.

Always seeing the bright side Pierce!

jbaker1121, turn your radio off. Interested to find out what you hear:)

8. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:

hgonestly, i'll do it tommorow and see what i hear. and i'll let you know. but to my knowledge, ther eisnt any squeaks...except my brakes sometimes :(

but anyways,ill let oyu know tommorow

9. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    I changed my front and rear pads to akebono. Zero noise. I highly recommend them, you can find them on tirerack.com

10. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    i was gonna save up for an entire big brake kit upgrade----but how much did you get those pads for?

edit: sweet! $55.00!.....but they only have rear :(

11. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    that's even better, I'm in the market for bbk myself.

$64 front pair, $55 rear pair. These are the only ceramic pads that I've liked as they have no brake in needed and no need to warm them up. I've tried Hawk which are very nice (2nd choice), but slight squeal sometimes and they need warming up when cold. Stopping distance does feel better with the Hawk though.

I'd rather have zero sound for my daily driver. Akebono is probably equivalent to OEM pads in stopping if not a little better.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...5&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=AWD&brand=Akebono

12. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    that's good. i'll probalby buy these and have them untill i decide to go BBK :)

thansk abunch, and il let you know about the indoor-squeaking tommorow!

also, does anybody know if these will fit the fx? i kind of want brembo's :)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brem...228184169QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230228184169

(im not gonna buy these just gonna use them as a reference)

or maybe ill jsut go with these.....
    ///599&highlight=big+brake+kit

:)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  13. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    I have the centric rotors - I have them plain. Very nice rotors, better than OEM and cheaper.

14. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Okay - I had to get it fixed, it was ridiculous how loud it was. If anyone has this problem, the dash board needs to be removed. Foam insulation needs to added, and noise gone!

Labor - yikes $375.00
    Parts - Spacer-headlining 73982-9e000 - $1.28 for 2.

First non-maintenance for this 2003 car... can't complain. This wasn't necessary either, but I couldn't deal with it.

15. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I changed my whole dash, the dash has a foam strip at certain point's where it meets other plastics, & a foam strip at the header where it meets the windshield cowl area. there were a few other areas that looked a little questionable to me too so I added foam in a few places myself too. my dash is quiet & squeak free, I could see how that could drive you nuts though, honestly it's a huge job & $375 does not sound excessive at all, actually at a dealership that sounds cheap really tbh, I would have guessed over $600 for sure if they really had to fully remove it, maybe they just loosened everything & pulled it back a bit... even that is a big job really

16. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Glad you got it fixed Ed and I hope it doesn't come back (knock on wood :biggrin:)

17. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Yes, the tech was awesome. He said he'll remove the dash but he really didn't want to=) He did it and added the foam strips. I just wish I could have thought of some mods to do while he was in there already... but too short notice.

Since mine is a 2003, I hope this post helps others where this may happen to others in the future...

18. OP
    OP
    Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    If it does, I'll leave it alone. I can't let "squeaks" take bites out of my BBK fund;)

19. White_Hair

White_Hair Premium Member Premium

Does removing dashboard require removing of the front passenger airbag module? I have the similar problem and I am going to get the same thing fixed up.

20. If anyone has replaced the dash and still has the old one I would be interested in buying it:p