Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Speedometer with different radius wheel & tires

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by brown_fv, Jan 27, 2008.

1. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

I was wondering if i was to put new wheels and tires on that were not the same radius of the OEM spec tires, if i could have the speedo recalibrated so it would not be off when im driving. reason i am asking is because i really want a set of volks and most only come in 19s, with a decently sized tire so they dont look goofy im pretty sure the speedo will be off. if it cant be calibrated it would probably stop me from getting a set of volks because i wouldnt want to keep it in my mind how fast i am driving compared to what the speedometer says.

btw, do they still make the Volk time attacks with the blue stripe instead of red? i think that would look killer on the midnight blue FXs

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. i dont think you can get the speedo recalibrated, my dad has 24's on his navigator and the dealer says he can't get it done,and to be honest when driving it, it doesn't make that much of a difference

3. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

I was wondering about this too, maybe it's the aftermarket wheels, even though they're still the same size as the stocks... I noticed that when using a GPS, which can indicate your speed... it's around 2 mph off (so, when the speedometer showed 80mph, the GPS showed 78mph, 65mph/63mph etc. etc...) It's not really a big deal... But it means for every 1,000 miles on the odometer, I've really only traveled 980 miles or so... But I've wondered about the re-calibrating too

4. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    You cannot recalibrate simply because you can commit mileage fraud...

For example... let's say you calibrate the speedo off by a multiple of 10 so that it shows 4 mph when you're doing 40, 9 mph when you're doing 90, etc.

That would mean that you can re-sell a 2002 Honda Civic that you used for daily commute 25 miles one way to and from work, and went on road trips, and when it hits 100,000 miles you can sell it as the spedo reads 10,000. You can use a GPS device to give you an accurate mph reading and then recalibrate the speedo when you're done with the car. I believe that's why it can't be recalibrated. I'm not sure but I believe the odometer and speedometer come off of the same wheel revolution signal...

5. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    unichip says it can adjust for different size tires/wheels. Cipher can too I think. Haven't done much reading on it, I like to stay as close to stock if possible.

6. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

Damn...thats a pretty big turn off for me then. maybe if the Cipher can do it id have to find a shop that has one.

7. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Or buy one.... $400 right?

8. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

you know what...that might not be a bad idea. i could adjust my timing too...probably a few other things. what else could i do with it, because 4bills is a lot of money.

9. No offense but your dealer lied to him. You can get a tuner like a sct xcal2 and adjust it. I have a nav and a f150 and all you do is tell it how many revolutions/mile at a given speed and it does the rest, plus alot of other $hit too.