Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

So I'm finally lowered.... but

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by Mongolian, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

I installed my H&R at LMS today. Took them about 3 hours to install it.

It looks good and everything, but I noticed that the right front is about .2 inches higher than the rear. Do you think it's uneven because the springs haven't settled completely? The left side looks normal. In fact, the left side looks like it received an even drop. Maybe I need to wait about a week or so.

Any ideas?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

mostly not settled yet..

3. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

+1 I'd wait a week or 2 and see.

Btw how did Steve Treat ya? everything go ok?

4. Krayzie

Krayzie AĆ©rospatiale

yup as the others have said, let them settle and give them a week or 2 and re-check.

5. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

Steve's a great guy. I think I'll be going there for maintenance as well from now on.

BTW, right before I left, I heard them talking to you about your headers. Did you end up coming?

6. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

:rock:Yep I was there Monday and they installed my headers for me....

7. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

give it about 2 weeks and the springs will settle...i would also go for an alignment to get everything back into spec.

8. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

i'm going to get alignment after 1 month. I won't be driving the fx much next year since I bought another car. Yah, I think the spring need time to settle to even out... i hope

9. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Is your tire pressure all good? Probably a long shot.

10. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

tire pressure is fine according to tpms

11. Deecarp

Deecarp Premium Member Premium

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Take another look and see if the spring is seated properly. Normally there is a small difference from driver and passenger side. It just seems like a big difference between two sides. I had my H&R's in stalled a while back with out a hitch. after about 3 weeks I had an alignment and they settled pretty good. let us know what you find.

12. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

I'm going to wait a little bit. The spring I received were from new batches. H&Rs were back ordered for almost 3 months. Maybe the set I got were defective? Who knows.

13. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

I did some measurements today and I got the following results (roughly):

FR:31.5 inches
    FL: 31.5 Inches

RR: 31.2 inches
    RL: 31.7 inches

Rear right definitely doesn't look right. You think I should take it back in and have them look at rear right? or still wait.

The last two times i've lowered my cars, they were all fine and dandy and settled int perfectly. This just looks weird to me.

Deecarp: Can you please do me a huge favor and take some measurements?

14. rookie

The rubber spring positioner at the bottom of the spring makes it hard to not seat correctly, but it could be not seated correctly in the bucket.

15. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

Rookie,

Hmm.. so based on what you are suggesting, if the springs are seated correctly (in the rear), then it should be the 31.2 inch drop that I am seeing on the rear right. So is my rear left off?

16. rookie

It would actually throw off both sides. Teeter totter. Lift up one side of the car the other side goes down. I think the high side could be affecting the low side measurement.

17. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

I just looked at the rear spring placement. It looks like the placement of the springs in the bucket is different. On the right side, I can feel two complete coils sitting in the bucket if i reach in from the rear of the car to feel the bucket. On the left side, I can feel 1 coil and half of second coil inside the bucket.

I'm guessing the placement of the coils in both bucket should be the same if i reach in from the rear to feel them.

Am I correct? (Rookie) :)

18. rookie

Here's a picture of the spring positioner.
    rear_lower_spring_mount_01.jpg

It's articulated for the springs to not move and reduce metal on metal noises, the spring bucket is also articulated for correct positioning and for it to not move.
    rear_lower_spring_mount_02.jpg
    rear_lower_spring_mount_03.jpg

Spring positioned.
    rear_lower_spring_mount_04.jpg

If this is twisted in the bucket it could possible raise one side up if it's not in the correct position. This is just a guess, the upper one is impossible to position incorrectly. Fronts are kinda hard to do wrong.

Attached Files:

19. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

I think you are absolutely correct on your guess!

You sir are an FX god.

Now, Is it possible for me to sort of twist the left spring around to correct this with the car jacked up, (relieving the stress on the springs) or do they have to take off the whole thing and fix it entirely?

20. rookie

Pretty impossible to reposition without dropping the spring bucket. Believe me when I say it would've moved already if it could have. The weight/tension of the suspension is holding it in place.