Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

[OT] Scared as hell...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Deecarp, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Deecarp

Deecarp Premium Member Premium

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    I had two trucks and sold one prior to leaving Guam (98 GMC jimmy & the FX). Anyway what I did was allow her to get use to driving giving her lessons in the jimmy. Well with the local driving laws in Guam we just held off on getting her licensed their. Now she wants to start driving again. and get licensed her in Cali.

So the other Day I had some guts to give her some time in the FX, should have just rented a car so I wouldn't be nervous. I try to discourage her by asking her to point out all the controls, to describe the gauges etc...I even tried to give her some pedal control exercises. No luck she knew them all dam... it looks like we'll have to drive. it's late afternoon so I know it won't be long having her behind the wheel. That the good thing. We found an open parking lot and went to work. mind you there wasn't much for her to run into but I was still more nervous than she was. I was scared as hell. It took a few minutes to calm down and get use to her driving overall but she did good. Nothing was hit, nothing damaged.

But I was still scared as hell. The next time there will be a rental involved, cause we'll be on the road. So if you are in my area, see a black guy holding on to the dash really tight with a teenage girl at the wheel calm. It's probably me...H-E-E-L-L-P!!!!!

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    So "her" = your daughter? Is she over 16? I can see why she wants her license, I was ready to get mine ever since my permit at 15, and I share a similar experience except in my stinkin' Lincoln back in the day. There were 2 girls I was with, I was like 17 or so and they were just about to turn 16 or somewhere around there and I let them practice driving my car. The only difference being I wasn't afraid of damaging my car, but rather hitting a mailbox that I didn't want to be responsible for.

They were decent, only thing I could complain about is they had it backwards going through turns... they'd go fast into the turn and after the apex, they would THEN start braking... whereas you're SUPPOSED to slow down and then accelerate right through the apex of the turn and keep accelerating... it was just annoying :biggrin:

Did she ever confuse the brake pedal with the gas pedal? That's the scariest part :shame:

3. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    years ago I was teaching my sister to drive, in my trans am...

took her to a big open lot... I was nervous at first, but she was doing ok.. after a while I let my atention drift, & the next thing I know, there was a bare steel rim without tire laying in the middle of the lot, & of all the places she could have went, she drove right over it! it wedged under my front bumper & was a bitch to get off of... now I know why the driving schools have 2 steering wheels & 2 brake pedals :biggrin:

4. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    JA JA...

I learned how to drive on a beat up 1965 MBZ.. Man that shit was hard to stear..

I feel you. My 7 year old has already pointed out that she want to learn how to drive and she wants a Pink FX..

Rental car is a must next time Dee.

5. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

my parents always let me "drive" a little when i was a kid, but i first started driving when i got my beginners license at the age of 16...i was lucky enough to have (at the time) my moms FX and my sisters Rav4 to learn how to drive in. learning to drive in a bigger car, made me feel a lot more confident, especially when i drive a friends sedan from time to time. i also learned how to handle a decent amount of power :p

6. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    You know Cube I'm not sure if she confused the two or not but there was one time where she should have braked, but hit the gas and scared the s....t out of me. I almost said "That's it, stop put it in park and get out!", but of course I realize that would just make things worst. She might have been testing, lol...It is hard being a single parent sometimes. Hopefully she'll be a better driver than I.

Brown you may have something there, it may just do the same, because she did feel confident and of course she like the fact of driving the FX. she later asked could she drive it to school. being a good father I told her of course when you get a lic... and a job to pay for her own.lol....j/k.... I said hell naw....

oh and pimp B we are getting a rental for the next lesson...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  7. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I was having a heart attack just reading this thread Dee.......get her a used civic or something......

8. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    LOL.... I was thinking more like a yugo....

9. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Personally id say if you feel comfortable with her driving the FX keep it that way while shes learning with you there...that way when she gets her own car (civic, yaris :shame:, etc) she already knows how to handle a bigger car so it should be a breeze with a smaller sedan because she will know its limits (turning, handling, etc). but then again having a learner driving your pride and joy is hard to gulp down....

10. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Dee - if you get her a Yaris - make sure to get her personalized plates that say:

"Up Yaris"

11. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    That's funny Will... she probably look at me crazy if she had that plate too...