Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Roof Rail And Emblem Removal??

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by Kkrogers, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Hi, new to the site. Just bought an 08 FX35 last night and I want to know how to remove the roof rails. I thought this would be a good place to start! Does anybody have any idea if it is easily done? Also, would like to remove the FX35 emblem on the back of the car. Is that just glued on?

Thanks!

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    For the roof rals you have two options.

First if you pop off the caps on the end of the rails you will have some nuts under there, you can unscrew those and remove the rails. You will then be left with bolts sticking out of the roof...you can either cut the bolts flush with the roof or remove the headliner and unscrew the rail brackets and remove the rail brackets.

after you cut the bolts or remove the brackets you will then cover the area with end caps that you get here http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...d=2614&make=14&model=Fx&year=2006&catalogid=2

3. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Welcome to the scene. The rear FX35/FX45 emblems are just two sided adhesive so easily removed.

For the rails.
    roof_rails.jpg

Should be pretty straight forward, end covers come off and should expose 2 nuts at each corner. Remove the nuts and off the rails go. At that point you have a choice of dropping the headliner and getting the bolts out from underneath or cutting the bolts off. Most have opted to cut the bolts off. Color coded covers are available from the dealer.

4. OP
    OP
    Kkrogers

Kkrogers Member

Thank you guys very much. I am looking at that link you sent me for the caps, but I am not seeing my color. I failed to mention the color, it is Beryllium. I guess I could also check with the Infiniti dealer for these caps.

How do guys cut off the bolts? A small die grinder, carefully?

This will probably be one of my first mods.

I am sure I will have more questions as I plan to do a few more things with the car. Mainly wheels. I want 22" wheels with a nice fat lip if possible.

Thanks again!

5. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Protect the surrounding area with cloth or tape, use a cutoff wheel on your dremel. Make sure you cut off enough so that the cap will fit.

If you are worried about accidentally dremeling your paint you might want option 2 and remove the brackets from beneath the roof.

6. OP
    OP
    Kkrogers

Kkrogers Member

Hey Rookie,

Is there any chance of getting the link to that website where you got that page from the service manual?

Thanks

7. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    There is no online link for these documents. What you are seeing is a uploaded pdf file. You can purchase a cd rom on line which has all this info plus others.

8. OP
    OP
    Kkrogers

Kkrogers Member

Update!!

Hi,

I just talked to the guy at Infiniti Parts.com and he told me that there are no little caps for the newer FX's. I have to replace the whole moulding piece. I guess the '07 and '08 FX's roof rails are different now.

Does this sound true to you guys?

Thanks,
    K:confused:

9. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

I doubt the roof has changed, they probably don't have 2008 parts updated yet. Try everythinginfiniti.com Joe over there is pretty familiar with the FX mods we do.

10. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

is it just me or does a rail-less FX (especially lowered), from behind, looks a lot like the Mercedes Banz R-Class?

11. OP
    OP
    Kkrogers

Kkrogers Member

I think it might, but I haven't seen enough pics of railless FX's.

Thanks for the suggestions. The guy at Infiniti Parts.com did say that the rails, not the roof, are different on the 2007 and 2008. I will call that other guy though.

Thanks,
    K:)

12. OP
    OP
    Kkrogers

Kkrogers Member

Okay, talked to Joe at Everythinginfiniti.com today and ordered the moulding. Cannot get just caps for the newer FX's anymore.

Thanks for the suggestion! Can't wait to get my first mod done! Getting windows tinted, roof rails removed and rear FX35 logo removed all when these moulding pieces come in! Next step, clear bra then painting all the black plastic to body color. I love dressing up new cars!!

Thanks,
    K:)

13. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Can't say I agree with the rail-less mod but good luck with it all. Post plenty of pictures when your all done.

14. OP
    OP
    Kkrogers

Kkrogers Member

:):)
    Well, finally got the rails off and windows tinted today! Gotta say, I love it! I also love this car! It is a lot of fun to drive.

I also had all the bottom plastic color matched. Next step is wheels.

Thanks for the help on removing the rails.

K

15. how much did dthey charge u to paint the lower parts and wheel well trim?

16. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Post some pictures up!

17. OP
    OP
    Kkrogers

Kkrogers Member

$ 1,100 But....he probably would have charged more if he hadn't quoted me a price first because it took him a lot more time to do it. It really makes the car look better though.

K

18. OP
    OP
    Kkrogers

Kkrogers Member

I have yet to take any pictures, but will do so soon. Then I have to figure out how to post them on here!

19. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    To post pictures you must first host them on another site, such as photobucket or imageshack and then link the url here like thus, [​IMG]