Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Remove That Spare Tire

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Write-Ups' started by Krayzie, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

Ok guys, listen up. I know its a little complicated so I broke it down into steps for those that don't know how to do this;)

1. First, pop the hatch so it looks like this, you dont want to mess up on this step or you might run into problems later on.
    IMG_7816IS.jpg

2. It is critical that you use the hook provided to secure the board properly so it does not fall on your head causing bodily harm and a trip to the emergency room. IMG_7818IS.jpg

3. Once you have safely secured the floor board, you should see this in front of you. Once at this stage, twist the white hand screw in the middle of the Bose sub counter-clockwise. If you twist the wrong way, you could possibly snap the bolt.
    IMG_7820IS.jpg

4. Once fully unscrewed, the bolt should just slide out and look like this.
    IMG_7828IS.jpg

5. Gently lift the Bose sub trying to be very gentle as contains delicate audio equipment and place to the side for the next step
    IMG_7829IS.jpg

6. This is by far the most difficult part in removing the spare. depending on your size, this might take two people to lift out of the hatch.
    IMG_7830IS.jpg

7. Now place the Bose sub back into the original location. Make sure to tighten the bolt firmly or you might experience rattling when the Bass hits HARD!
    IMG_7831IS.jpg

8. This is an optional step that you may take as you wont be needing these item anymore. but make sure you keep the tow hook!
    IMG_7833IS.jpg

9. These are the pieces you should have once they are all removed
    IMG_7837IS.jpg

10. The spare tire
    IMG_7839IS.jpg

Now for some weights! I (Krayzie) am not responsible for any miscalculations as this scale is not legal for trade?
    IMG_7845IS.jpg

-The Spare weighs a Whopping 52.8 lbs.
    -The Jack weights 8 lbs.
    -All the Tools combined weigh 12 lbs.

IMG_7848IS.jpg

*sorry for any spelling mistakes:cool:
    ;) What spelling mistakes:wub:.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

nice write up. at 52 lbs im going to throw my spare tire in the back of my garage. i know just by saying this the day after i will get a flat tire and need my spare:frown:

3. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Cool write up. I have been running without my spare for a few months already, put it back in just for the trips(of course I forget my lug key though).

4. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Awesome write-up. Only problem is, I DIY'd this years ago! :p

Where were you then? Hehe, I had no idea it was that heavy though.

5. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Nice Krayzie, but a bit too late for me as this mod had already been checked off on the things to do list ;).

6. OP
    OP
    Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

well thats the reason all of you are mods and admin, you've already done the mod. Thats what separates up from the others:p

Edit;

Umm....I can edit.

EDIT2

i can edit too

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  7. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Fun write-up,
    but 52 lbs or not . . . get a flat and then have to tow :confused:.
    I'll keep the spare.

Sensitive audio equip :LOL::LOL::LOL:

8. +1 Not planning to shell out for some run flats either. A+ for effort on the write up.

9. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    If you switch to run flats and take out the spare, not only is that extra money, but the run flats are alot heavier from what I recall...?

10. OP
    OP
    Krayzie

Krayzie Aérospatiale

and the run flats dont last as long?

11. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    To be on the safe side, you could replace the spare tire and tools for one of those temporary fix kits. I think one of them is "green slime" that comes with a tire inflator to fix any small leaks. This is what I carry in my car.

12. brown_fv

and i heard they handle like sh|t too

13. Oh yeah run flats are a lot heavier than regular tires. I've mounted a few on a Vette before and they are the biggest pain in the ass. The sidewalls are so stiff and hard you have to get 2 guys on it. Also they go for like $350 a pop.

14. Nice write-up. Very complete and great pictures. I'd like to say that I used the green slime before on a slow leak that I had in a tire. It worked like a charm and has not lost air. If I remember correctly though, you have to remove the valve stem so make sure you have a valve stem tool with you as well.

15. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

so, roughly 73lbs?!?! That's like half a person! AAA FTW ;)

16. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Nice write up! I've never seen this yet, and with your help I think I'll be able to tackle this one. :p Thanks!
    "Bass Hits Hard" lol!

73lbs! What's that saying about how much weight you loose is like gaining **hp?

17. brown_fv

I heard every 100lbs saved picks you up around 0.1 on your 0-60...not sure if its true or just a ricer myth.

the weight saving possibilities just keep piling up!

18. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    it's supposed to be 100lb's is good for a 10th of a second in the quarter mile, but where it is in relation to weight transfer can affect the 60' more. 100lb's on the nose is not the same as 100lb's on the back end.

19. da mayor

da mayor Member

or my method i tell everyone ..... 4 years/unlimited mile call 18006626200 for roadside assistance lol

i was thinking about taking out the spare but didn't want any more rattles

20. 100 pounds = how much more added to my mpg?