Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Recomended Products for Scratches

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by Keemo, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

I just was wondering what everyone's most recomended products are for repairing scratches on...

Paint?

Chrome?

Plastic?

Any help would be great!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

Mother's "Back to Black" does a decent job on black trims/plastic parts... (even though it does nothing for the trim "issue" that some of us have :rolleyes: )

3. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Paint? Good old wax every 2-3 months and clay bar every once every 6 months.

Chrome? Wax chrome also to give it some protection.

Plastic? Mother's back to black as Ken suggested.

4. OP
    OP
    Keemo

I did some cleaning today and used a clay bar for the first time.
    If you have never used one before I say give it a try to a section of your hood. After it's dry run the back of your fingers along the surface gently. The difference was unreal! It felt like glass after. I used some synthetic wax after for protection.
    Here are some pix. I'm very happy with the results.

AprilROM017.jpg

AprilROM013.jpg

AprilROM019.jpg

AprilROM006b.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  5. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Great shots! i used a claybar for the first time during the previous summer it was great!

as soon as spring comes im doing a complete detail makeover...

6. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

Holy shine!

Very nice Keemo!

7. OP
    OP
    Keemo

Thanks guys. It was a lot of work but soooo worth it. I'll probably do this twice a year or so. I took it out for a spin to get these shots right after and was getting a bit paranoid with all the looks I was getting. :LOL:

8. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Yup clay bar is awesome! I usually have it done every 3 months or so.

Great pictures Keemo and the reflection is unreal!

9. BaBaLuwee

BaBaLuwee Member

So. Cal
    2004 FX 35 RWD
    Wow Keemo that shine is blinding, nice work.:top: I need a clay myself but waitin for spring to get here. Do any of you buy your clay local or from online vendor such as Zaino. I usually buy my clay from Zaino since i cant find any place that sells the clay by itself, but only in a kit.:confused:

10. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I agree its a work out to clay it - but the results afterwards are well worth it. Looking good :biggrin:

11. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    i can't wait until spring finally rolls around...full detail!

12. :biggrin:i used it before summer hit last year and i loved the car shine with the wax...meguiers one ...loved the result...got alot of looks after i used it

13. 909FX

909FX Premium Member Premium

FONTANA, CA
    2010 Honda Crosstour
    Garages:
    Very nice Keemo. Looks really good. We should have a clay bar meet hahahaha

14. MrMoody

MrMoody Member

Nice Job! Claying really smoothes out the surface. I've noticed that you get better results with less wax after claying too. Although that might just be my imagination:LOL:

15. sgvxcheese

sgvxcheese Member

Southern California
    infiniti fx 35
    i accidentally scratched my side mirror against my parking port. anyway to fix it? should i go to dealership and ask them to apply some oem paint? any suggestions??????:cry:

16. Just get it repainted.^
    UNLESSS, they can e compounded out...
    Don't do touch-up paint, I think it looks sloppy.

17. IvoRoyfx35

IvoRoyfx35 Member

Damn, that looks nice! Did you apply the clay bar just on the hood or the entire car? How long did it take you?
    I never tried clay myself. But willing to try after looking at your pics!

18. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

If you're gonna clay you may want to do the whole car. Its not necessary, and it'll take ya a few hours.

19. You won't get the same effect as us black owners :biggrin:
    Sorry.. :tup: haha.. just kidding bro.

Claying isn't hard, just keep the clay bar lubed with soap and water (People buy lube but it's the same dam thing) And get the least aggressive clay bar.. and begin. Do small sections.

20. Clay is really the first step of the paint restoration process. It will remove fallout and such but will NOT remove scratches or swirls. You need to follow clay with either a one step swirl remover/wax or polish then wax. I actually use about five or so different types of polish with a flex orbital buffer and then wax. I have spent as much as 20 + hours on the paint alone (yes it's black). Plastic scratches are tougher. Some type of back to black product will cover but not remove the defect.