Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Rear Sway Bar install

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by Mongolian, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

I will be receiving delivery of my sway bar tomorrow. You think it would be possible for me to install it without lifting up the car? I think I can squeeze in there if I put the car in an inclined position on my driveway.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Lainezki

Lainezki Member

Santa Monica
    2003 FX 35
    It's a tight fit under there. I had to jack it up a bit so I can move freely. Pretty easy though I had to loosen the bolts from the Y pipe (I think it's the Y pipe) and take bolts out from where the exhaust tube connects to the muffler so I could bring the tube down a bit. From there pretty much smooth sailing.

Some people where able to just squeeze in the sway bar. I don't know how they did it but I thought it was faster and easier to just bring down the exhaust tubing.

3. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

I did it in my driveway, can't remember if I had it up on ramps or not. If you want to borrow some ramps let me know.

Yeah fitting it around the exhaust can be tricky, especially with dual piping. Great mod.

There are aftermarket endlinks that work for the FX. Will be putting these on in the next few weeks, will take pics. :biggrin:

4. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

I just got done installing the sway bar. Bastards didn't send me one of the nuts that I ordered so I replaced it with a used one from my friend's G35c. I tried to do it without lifting up the car, but it was too damn hard to went and bought lift stands.

The install took about 3 hours, including long breaks since we were sweating like pigs in my garage. I had to remove the mid-pipe. I don't see any other way around this.

I told my wife to drive the car and she said it was a bit weird since the car doesn't swing much. I told her it's a good thing :LOL: I took it for a spin and I had a bit of fun. Definitely a noticeable difference in handling.

Overall, I like this mod a lot. I am contemplating on what to do next. I wish I can lower the car, but my wife doesn't approve. I think I can get away with plenum spacer or exhaust. Can't wait until I do something else.

5. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Dude, ya gotta lower that thing. It loses all the bounce, & When you do, The handling is unreal for such a big truck. Did I just call it a truck???!!???:wub:

Funny thing is, . . . there's no one to correct me here on this board.

Where's all the excitement:confused:

6. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Bro - lower it, i bet she wont even notice. Its like an inch & a quarter drop. The ride is the same as stock.

7. Lainezki

Lainezki Member

Santa Monica
    2003 FX 35
    You're missing your best friend already!!!;):rofl:

8. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    +1... :LOL:

Lower the ride my friend... All of us had had great benefits in handeling and the over all look of our FX's.....

9. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

I would love to lower my car, but I'm worried about camber issues and my wife doesn't approve since the FX is a baby hauler. I had about -1 degree rear camber on the 2003 acura tl-s and the tires were going pretty fast. In the long run, it was a big headache.

10. rookie

Have test fitted a toe adjustment kit, working on the camber kit. Should have the needed bolts next week and than have them machined for the cam washers by end of week.

Keep in mind tread ratings of our tires and car tires. Ours are usually fairly high compared to car tires, I thi spec for most of the FM platform cars is around 1 degree of camber anyways. Me being hugely slammed I will get something in place to get the alignment closer to stock. :D

Everyone should be able to benefit as well.

11. Proffesional

Proffesional Guest

Just wondering if anybody who has added the rear sway bar to a RWD has noticed that the inside wheel spins more when taking hard turns from a stop. (i.e. from a stop sign)

I have been thinking about logical reasons that Infiniti would have left the rear sway bar off and all I could think of is that they were trying to keep both tires on the ground when turning from a stop... Anybody??

12. rookie

I thought it was to keep us from outhandling the AWDers. I'm only joking guys. :biggrin:

Yes without a full locking LSD in the rear the inside wheel will spin more during a hard turn and acceleration.

Watch the wheels in this video. I had a viscous LSD at the time.
    suspension :: Twin Turbo FX Drifting video by oc-rookie - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v319/oc-rookie/FX/suspension/Viet_fx_drift.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vidmg@@AMEPARAM@@mg@@AMEPARAM@@v319/oc-rookie/FX/suspension/Viet_fx_drift

13. Professional

Professional Member

Is your inside wheel spinning that much more than the outside even with the LSD??

Anybody ever had the inside wheel actually lift off under hard turning (autocross style)?

14. rookie

The vLSD needs the fluid to heat up to fully lock. From a dead stop like Taka did I don't think it heated up enough to lock during the drift. I have a ATS carbonetics now and it does lock up at the slightest slip on the inside wheel.

15. Professional

Professional Member

Would the weight and power of the vehicle also affect the lock-up on a viscous LSD? I had a 2900# RX-7 with 4.1 vLSD and it would lock up as soon as there was any spin.

16. rookie

When I snapped my axle with the vLSD it was locked up at the time, not sure if power and weight have any bearing on the functionality of the viscous. Unsprung weight of the suspension would probably be a big factor. I don't think any other FX has a vLSd or full locking diff besides me.

17. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    which sway bar did oyu install? just the oem one? i've been looking for one to install w/ springs but apprently theres no aftermarkets

18. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    yes, the fx45 oem one.

19. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    + Any AWD sway is the same, 35 or 45

20. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    oh so i don't need one since i',m AWD? lol did it come with it?