Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Rear Hatch Chrome Trim Removal

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by gchristopher9, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Does anyone know if the chrome trim pieces on the rear hatch are removable? Mainly the pieces above and below the license plate? I'd like to tackle painting these black on my own, but don't feel comfortable doing it on the car. Any idea?

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I think FXLR8 should be able to help you out with that question. He painted his along time ago.

3. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    you gotta pop the rear door panel cover off & theres a few 8mm or 10mm nuts to remove... even after the nuts are off though there still held on with clips. there a bitch to get off without damaging anything...

4. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    I actually slightly cracked my top trim piece trying to take it off, but after I painted it you couldn't even see the crack.

here is the diagram.
    backtrim.jpg

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

any suggestions on what i can do to get it off in one piece? what if i back the screws off from inside, and then push in on them to pop the piece out? would that work?

6. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    just pushing the studs won't do it, the clips are very tight. once you get the first one though then you got more leverage & better grasp to pull the rest. hard to explain, just gotta play with it... the lower was tougher than the upper from what I remember, I think I made a tiny mark in mine when I took it off, there expensive little buggers too, those trims...

7. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

since i plan on painting them gloss black i think i can deal with some minor nicks and scuffs. i just looked n everythinginfiniti and the set goes for about $250

8. fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    Here is a pic of a spare I have.

These things are expensive, but I found this one on ebay.
    rearuppertrim.jpg

The red clips are a pain in the behind.

Attached Files:

9. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Wow, I always wondered what the whole enchilada would cost if you parted the whole thing. Turbo? guesstimate?

10. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    ????

I know if you had to buy all the parts seperatley retail to build a car it comes to several times what a whole car would cost... I read somewhere once but don't remember exact #'s but it was something rediculous, like 150k for a 30k car or something...

I seen that molding or one like it on ebay, but the ones with the tech button are hard to find...

11. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

can you take a close up shot of those red clips? are they not accessible from behind, like the screws are?

12. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    don't think so but don't remember for sure, that picture is a good help though as far as location & stuff, again, the lower was much harder than the top one... mainly cause there is nothing to grab & pull...

13. fxlr8

California
    None
    Garages:
    redclip.jpg

Attached Files:

14. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    So basically, ya add it all up & you end up with a Rookie :LOL: . . . Oh, but then ya gotta assemble it.

15. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    What else could you do with that red thing, hmmm. Maybe a BtPlg

16. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I thought it and you said it - :LOL::LOL::LOL:

17. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

18. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Painted Black?
    Any more pics?

19. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

yup. sanded the Infiniti letters off the top piece, then painted gloss black. i'll put up some shots with a real camera a little later on. took a couple failed attempts at a good finish using the acrylic enamel so i started over and used acrylic laquer and had much better luck. wet sanded with 2000 grit and polished with compound.

20. gto

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    . . sounds good
    I kinda like the lettering detail on the FX rear, but I can see this working too.