Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 question regarding ecu chips, etc.

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by jbaker1121, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    hey guys, you guys helped alot with my last question regarding my stillen CAI---which works really great!!!!!!!!!!!

but now im wondering about ECU CHIPS.

if i get one, will ti actually help?

do any of you have one?

which brand?

etc.

thanks help woudl be great.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

There are no real "chips" for our ECU, the best thing to do is after you finish with your mods get a piggyback ECU or reflash along with a tune with your reflash or piggy back, which basically "finely tunes" everything. your car will run better and smoother (better a/f ratio) and it will squeeze some more HP and TQ for your pleasure.

3. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    so basically i go to the place where they do the "flashing" and just tell them, for example "i want uber torque" and they can fix it up liek that? how does it work

(im a noob)

and i checked google i dotn get a straight answer for the process.
    sum1 explain please?

4. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Chipping or flashing for an NA car won't do a whole lot...

Technosquare has a good basic flash, you can let them know what kind of aftermarket goodies you have and they can give you a flash based on a tune they did for another NA FX, etc.

But nothing will be as exact as getting a tune with your own car on the dyno.

What they're doing is fixing your AFR numbers around for squeezing out a lil more power. Chances are you'd go lean anyways and lean = more power (not safe when FI and when crazy lean on NA, but intake/exhaust won't affect it enough to make it dangerous for the motor).

There are some benefits that only a piggyback or reflash can give you, such as removing the speed limiter and raising your rev limiter...

5. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Fuel, air and timing determine power. The stock ecu parameters can be optimized per set up to make more power.

6. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    and i would get them optimized by......
    getting the "piggyback" thing?

7. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

On a dyno a/f (air/fuel) can be monitored so they can tune the mix vs the power they are seeing on the dyno.

A reflash or piggy back can make the changes in the different areas on the rpm band. Some piggy backs only retard timing from the stock ecus parameters, some piggy back set timing in the different areas.

For reflashing technosquare and I believe uprev are the better choices.
    For piggy backs a UTEC is the most popular and does set timing and will pull timing when needed. Other popular piggy backs are E-management units, unichip, and splitsecond boxes. The emanage and split seconds work with the ecus timing parameters, they do not set timing. Not sure on the unichip since only unichip dealers can tune them.

8. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    but i would have to get this all done at a place with a dyno, or at one of the ecu-piggyback tuning places or whatevr , right?

9. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    noone wants to answer?

cuz im in new york and the place you guys are talkignabout is in cali and yeah...i cant find a place

10. brown_fv

To Get a Tune you don't need a dyno, it can be a street tune as well. the thing with the ECU chips (such as unichip for example) you can get them preloaded by sending in your list of mods although its still recommended you get a tune as well to finely tune things.

For more advanced piggybacks like UTEC you can set multiple maps (with the right hardware) so you can have maps for 91 Octane, Race gas, valet, etc. a ecu flash company by the name Uprev does that as well and i have heard some very good things about them.

11. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    oh, okay thank you. i'm gkonna try to look up a place enar me wher ei can get it tuned up cuz im def. not doing it myself.

12. brown_fv

You should PM Kenny (da mayor) hes in NY and has a heavily modified G35 sedan (with a turbonetics ST kit) as well as an FX45.
    i think he could point you in the right direction regarding places to get a tune.

13. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    kenny uses vinny ten racing out on the island & swares by them... I have spoken to them about a twin turbo setup & they can acomidate this with a dyno tune even on a 4wd, so I'd guess there more than capable of handling a tune for you... I do know that they do not have a 4wheel dyno in house, so they may only consider reaching out to use a 4wdyno if it's a major install for them, but that's definatley a good place to start your looking. alex is the best guy to talk to there, there # is 631 414 7590, there in west babylon

14. brown_fv

+1 Alex seems like a great guy. i had long discussions with him when i was contemplating going F/I with a single turbo kit. their shop has a great reputation.

15. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    thanks guys that really helps. the dealerhsip i got my car form in on the island---competition infiniti in smithtown. so thatd be great if i can set somehting up with them. i hope theyll do it tohugh, even though i have AWD lol hopefully they can get a 4wd dyno or whatevr.

thanks guys for the help.

16. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    so i called the racing place on long island, and it turns out alex doesnt work there anymore. so i can't talk to him. the receptionist said she'd call me back tommorow to let me know if they can do it and what not. anybody else in the tristate area knoww of anywhere?

respond in my other thread aobut it though plz

tuning location location location - InfinitiScene.com