Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Push to Start anyone?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Electronics & Lighting' started by Dolent, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Dolent

Dolent Member

Has anyone been able to implement a push-to-start similar to the BMW X5 and others out? I'm sure Infiniti will do the FX with this in '09 but for those of us with >='08 that would love this feature how can it be done??

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm waiting for delivery on my '08 FX45 black/espresso

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

can't help you with your question, but I can welcome you to the Scene tho... :biggrin:

3. BIGTURK

BIGTURK Premium Member Premium

+1 :wub:

4. OP
    OP
    Dolent

Dolent Member

Thanks for the welcome but I can't believe that nobody has done a push start mod?!?!

5. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Im curious if it could be done. the FX's with the intelligent key (tech or 06+) would have a much easier time because my dads 06 M35x with the intelligent key has a push start! i think we would only have to change the key module thing (instead of the thing you turn a push start button instead)

i think it would look really cool

6. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

7. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    it really would't be too hard on an intelligent key setup, a few controls & relays. the hard part which is verification transmission communications, is already done from the factory, the only tricky thing will be the steering lock, that will need to either be eliminated, or electrically controlled. either way this would be a cool mod & doable & maybe not even that hard to do, but then again, not exactly easy either:rolleyes:

8. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I just checked out that thread of the push button start in development. that's not really 100% pushbutton start setup, there talking about still having to use the key, stick it in & turn it, then press the button. of course inteligent setups will just need to crank the knob then press the button, but that defeats the whole point really. that's where an electrical steering lock would come in to play, it could then be truly just push button operation.

9. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I skimmed through that thread - and I believe there was mention of a phase II or something.....I'll have to go back and reread it. But you're right Turbo - the Phase I still needs the key.

10. OP
    OP
    Dolent

Dolent Member

That's what I'm talking about! I'm surprised that none of the FX'ers out here haven't been working on this... Especially those with i-key! This is the only thing about the FX that I am not a fan of (no push-to-start). As this develops lets keep everyone updated. Thanks for all of the replies so far.

11. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    Done on my 2001 QX4. My cousin did the install so can't give any technical feedback. I went to ebay and bought a Honda S2000 start button. I had it installed where the lighter used to go. It only took him an hour to install.
    [​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    Dolent

Dolent Member

I have seen similar buttons on eBay for sale but they still require you to put the key in... I am talking about something totally keyless (like the X5 has).

13. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    My cousin had it set up in the following:
    1) if you unlock the car with the security remote you can press the start button and it will start the car without the key.
    2) you can unlock the car and still use the key if you want to start the car.

Probably not the most ideal set up, but hey it was back in 01.

14. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

I kinda rather have a remote/keyless starter, what do you guys think of this product... it's suppose to be easily installed too... Their company website shows that they have a model for the FX. I think it's pretty cool especially for us guys that don't have the tech package.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11243426&search=remote%20keyless&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=remote%20keyless&Ntt=remote%20keyless&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
    http://www.idatalink.com/costco/index.asp?pid=RS600

15. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:

yeah, theres talk of phase 3 I think it was, which there looking to be more of a stand alone system made to be installed in any car, more like a universal model. there problem now is finding an afordable transmit recieve setup & they haven't come up with a solution there yet. the real problem is for it to be sophisticated & secure & reliable takes technology that's not necissarily cheap... the infiniti ikey setup is very sophisicated, 2 way recieve/transmit confirmation, many possible code combinations, etc.

still, no matter what they come up with for tx/rx, the biggest problem will still be the locking & unlocking of the wheel, if that's not electrically controlled then a push button start will not be practical or complete. the locking of the wheel is the single biggest challenge really of a real keyless push button ignition.

personally, I like the ikey setup & don't feel that a push button will be so much of an improvement. the ikey has several advantages over a true push button ign. the push button igns are a bit of a comprimise, even factory setups... they look real cool I guess, but in the end the real convinience is not having to touch your keys, which the ikey does well, I don't see a huge advantage of pressing a button as opposed to turning a knob.... however if it really is something that you'd want to do, the ign lock is the real challenge.

having to push a button after turning a key is like a step backwards... I mean yeah, theres a push button, but big deal, it's now an extra step... the only way a push button ign is worth considering to me is if it's JUST a button push for everything... then I'd call it an upgrade or enhancement, othewise it's just a novelty & pretty much "fake".. I mean anyone can wire a button to crank the starter... that's NOT a push button ign really though...

16. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Thats exactly how I feel. I have tried the push button on the new G35 loaner and I don't really feel the need or an improvement over the ikey. I really like my tech package =)
    Besides, turning the knob or pushing the button...no real difference IMO.

17. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

I don't know if you guys read my post about the remote starter, but I'd get it just so I can hear it started up when I'm NOT inside the car... but also for the convenience.

18. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    For us here in Socal I don't see a real need for a remote starter, but maybe like Ken says just to hear the FX start from the outside, lol. But if you live in colder climates it would come in real handy for warming up the FX.

19. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

LOL, when it comes to the cold, I'm a wuss... anytime it's below 60 I layer up, but yeah... it'd be mainly for MYSELF to hear the exhaust from the outside... I know I enjoy it when ever the service dept drives my FX away...

20. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    I always put a remote start in any car I'm keeping, but remote start or not, I still like not having to use a key, a remote start doesn't change that really. my other car has a chip key, & what I did was cut a key tip & stck it in the cylinde, now if someone tried to crank it it would'nt do a thing, the chip is not there anymore cause the whole head is cut off, but now Ican remote start & then just turn the ign too on with no key. when I got my tech fx I was like oh cool, infiniti did my mod for me :)

actually, a good way to add a full keyless push button start is to start with a remote start module installed & interface from there. you don't want to have to hold the button to crank anyway, you want to just have to tap it & start a startup sequence really.

the ikey gives more control, I get pushbutton ign cars in all the time, there a pain if you just want to unlock the steering but leave the ign off. maybe not much issue in normal use, but a pain while working on a car sometimes.