Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

possible problem with brakes?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by jbaker1121, Mar 16, 2008.

1. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    hey guys...
    i dont know if this ais a problem...but listen up:

whenever i brake a bit hard from speeds over 40mph or so my steering wheel shakes a little bit--left to right.

it doesnt really bother me or anything but i was wondering if that is a problem or if anybody else had a similar issue... thanks

p.s. i have stock brakes and pads., stock 20" wheels with 20mm H&R spacers.

let me know what to do :) thanks

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Krayzie

Krayzie AĆ©rospatiale

when my front rotors were warped i was also getting some brake judder while braking, that might be the cause

3. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    how would they have warped? does this mean a visit to the stealership...............or an excuse for rotorpro's? :rofl:

is that the only cause or could there be others---

p.s. my wheels were balanced and rtires rotated before winter hit........

4. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    I agree with Cube...

I am having the same problem.. I am waiting until the brakes are bare to the bone and then getting new brakes and rotors..

When I brake hard my FX pulls to the Right...

5. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    :eek: i actually hope they are warped---those slotted+drilled rotorpros are looking mighty good right about now:wub:

i just hope i dont need new calipers or anything too :frown:

cuz thats a bit too pricy for me ATM

6. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Cube...? lol you mean krazyie?

theyre probably warped. i dont think theres a problem with the calipers themselves. maybe if you bitch at the dealership enough they might replace them for free but they are a wear and tear product so probably not

i cant wait for my brakes to be done with; new rotors, stainless steel lines, new pads...I CANT WAIT!

7. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    so i can get the rotorpro rotors , drilled/slotted(see our other convo in the rotor thread) and use them with the stock calipers rwithout problems right? shoudl i replace the pads when gettign new rotors too?

8. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Yeah... You should get pads while your at it... Will broke it down.. You should spend no more than 300 for the whole thing...

Great inexpensive mod..

9. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    i should get those hawk pads or whateevr right? arent those the reccomended ones?

so i guess ill go to the stealership tm to see if they are actually warped and whatnot---and whine to them or something.

net step if they are warped:

rotorpro rotors...drilled/slotted (do i need the colored hub or does it not matter?)

new Hawk brakepads

:biggrin:i always loved how those rotors looked--so im kind of happy mine got warped haha

edit:

i think im gonna go with the rotorpros listed above.....
    shoudl i get the hawk pads or the pads from rotorpro?
    do the hubs from rotorpro matter or can i bu just the rotor and nto ahave problems?

do i need SS brake lines? or is that really for track-goers? (even though i migth be going to the up-coming meet ahah)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  10. brown_fv

Yes, i would get the pads changed when you change your rotors. they are already going to be taking everything off to change the rotors so they can change the pads quickly. if you change the pads at a different time it will cost more $$.

the SS lines help with braking; you will probably notice a difference in daily driving since you can brake better...might even save a life :iS:

11. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    :)

okay--so
    rotorpro slotted/drilled rotors with black hub---
    stoptech SS lines
    Hawk pads? or rotorpro pads? (which r better)

the black hub wil accent the black calipers nicely (idk if you can even see it with the stocks but whatevere haha)

anddd how many hours for install do you guys think?

12. brown_fv

i hear really good things about Hawk HPS pads; i think i may switch to those or just go back to stock oem pads.

im not sure of the timeframe for installation because i dont know how long it takes to install the SS lines. dont forget you will probably have to pay for new brake fluid too since you are changing the lines.

13. BaBaLuwee

BaBaLuwee Member

So. Cal
    2004 FX 35 RWD
    I also get brake judder when applying the brakes. Its worse when I brake hard and seem to be getting worse over the past few months. Appointment at LMS next Monday (springs) and headlight recall at the dealer next Tues. so I'll find out what's up.

Is there a TSB for this??

14. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Rotorpros dont make their own pads - J
    They sell other brand pads, but you can buy them from Them.
    You just have to tell them which brands you want. Or you can just buy them from your local parts store.

15. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    lol... I had to search this thread for a post of mine, at first I thought it was an old topic that I replied to a long while back :p

I agree with Krayzie :4tongue: You can either go to a muffler & brake shop and have your rotors turned along with new pads for about $80-120 total, or you can get the same job at the stealership for upwards of $200, but there's a minimum thickness they can turn the rotors to. If you're outside of that band, there's always the new rotors + pads (when you can go slotted or drilled or slotted+drilled) that'll cost ya $280+ depending on the setup you go with. I recommend the rotorpros, but the center paint is very very weak and peels very easily... They also rust over fast.

16. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    is the rust-over a bad thing or does it just make it not look pretty? once it rusts can't i jsut clean it off or is it more permanent? deosnt the zinc coating protect from rust?

i was actally thinking of having vinny 10 racing do them depending on how they do this friday with installing my crank pulley :) but i can always go to a midas or something, if they actualyl want to "play with my hubs" this time....:confused:

so if the paint chips, i guess its not worth it to bother gettign them painted?

so the "to-get" list is now:

-Rotorpro slotted/drilled (non-painted hub)--$220 --->$300 with "posi quiet" pads (i'll ask to see if i can get the -hawk hps-)
    -Stoptech stainless steel brake lines--$50 ish

so i guess im looking around $350 for parts, and about $150 for install.........

i guess i can do $500 if it's for my safety :wub:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  17. brown_fv

i think the SS lines are around $100 or so because you need a set for the front and a set for the back.

18. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    oh yeah................LOL

19. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    my appointment is in an hour, so when i get back ill let you guys know whatsup.....hopefulyl i can get the rotorpros :LOL:
    while theyre poking around in my car i get to go with my mom to look at her new car, the R350 mercedes...
    wish me luck

20. jc'sfx

jc'sfx Premium Member Premium

Damn .. must be nice to have a day off to mess around with my FX .. LOL .. good luck J.

Sorry J, I dont mean to jack your thread but has anyone experience the rotors locking up when its raining and you come to a hard stop??? After I release the brakes it feels like I just let go of the e-brake.