Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Painting Grill

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by Deecarp, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Deecarp

Deecarp Premium Member Premium

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Painting Grill (Updated w/pics)

No turning back now, I removed the grill in prep for painiting. So here goes nothing. First, I removed the top four screws and then the front four square secure plastic pins. Secondly, remove the emblem. I used a heat gun to soften the tape, and razor, flat head screw driver to carefully pry apart. Once the emblem is off, remove the body molding tape from the emblem and insert. Becareful with the heat gun. I suggest using it on the rear of the grill just in case you level it in one spot to long. you don't want to melt the grill or emblem.
    DSC00695.jpg
    DSC00696.jpg
    DSC00676.jpg

Thirdly, I Sanded down the grill. primed the grill let stand and Dry. once dry I lightly sanded the primer. Removed primer dust and begin to paint one coat. I'm using krylon interior exterior paint (krylon Fusion would speed up the process). So any where between 12-60 min examine texture and look for any runs. If the first coat is good repeat with one to two more coats. If your first coat is runny, un even then you repeat step three and lightly sand.

DSC00673.jpg
    DSC00674.jpg
    Fourth, once the the color match is done. You can begin to clear. I suggest 2-3 coats of clear which can be applied every 12 mins.

DSC00680.jpg

Fifth, re-install the Emblem. use double sided body molding tape. place on the back of the emblem trim the edges. Then Sand and clean grill emblem insert, reheat insert area and place emblem back into insert, and you are done. (Post final pic once the clear is dry)

DSC00682.jpg
    DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00683.jpg
    DSC00685.jpg

Last is to re-install the grill. I find it easier removing the pin from the front install on the grill and then snap into place. Re-install the top pins and you are done.

DSC00698.jpg
    DSC00701.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

bro that looks sick, cant wait to see it mounted. i am one of the members that prefers the emblem on the grille after powder coating/painting so i really like this

3. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Very nice Dee - to bad your not down here in Socal - you can do this for me also - hahahahaha

4. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Thanks Brown, and Will. It's not hard, time consuming but fairly easy. I PM'd jeff a few times last night just to get an idea what and how he did his. He used Krylon fusion which would speed up the process. It's not perfect but the effect is for sure. I'm about to re-install the emblem in a few, and snap shot that for posting. I like doing things like this. I know the next one will be easier and faster.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  5. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Got those photo's update hope you all enjoy I'll post more pictures in the day light tomorrow...

6. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Nice job!!!:cool:

7. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Cant wait Dee.....now put them Rails back on and flip that antenna forward! hahaha ;)

8. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Funny you say that I was looking into doing the rails today as well. I like both railless and rails So I'll probably do that soon. I need a good drill bit to drill out the cut post to re-install the rails. So I might just do that soon.

9. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Good job as always on the grill mod Dee! Looks great.

10. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    Thanks Doc, I almost painted the emblem to. I thought I'd wait see how I like this first before doing so.

11. wowww. looks veryy good. nice mod...

12. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    I just thought I try to put some more Pics of the FX and painted Grill. The more I see painted grill the more I'm looking at painting the emblem to. I need some opinions, help me out folks!

DSC00704.jpg
    DSC00703.jpg
    DSC00705.jpg

13. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I like it the way it is now Dee - the Emblem stands out from the rest of the car. I think its looks good.

14. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

I agree, this makes me want to do mine very soon.

Looks great!

15. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

+1 i like how the emblem stands out. if i ever paint my grille ill do the same thing.

16. OP
    OP
    Deecarp

Bay Area
    QX60 AWD
    Darryl
    You guys remember the twins right? Alexus1/Lebron I always love the look of the twin rides. especially when it went this route... I just think the look is sick...

IMG_3614.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg

17. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    It looks good...

How long did it take you to sand the grill? It took me about 2.5 hours to get all of the old paint and chrome off the dimples..

Great job and i know you wont regret to leave the emblem chrome..

18. +1. I think if you took off that plastic thing that blocks the rock chips it would look even better IMO.

19. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Looks great, but I vote no chrome!

20. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    You mean that BRA Dave loves so much:LOL:. I guess Dee and Dave think alike!;):biggrin: