Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Paddle Shifters

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by HumbertoCALI, Nov 14, 2007.

1. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Looks interesting. Hopefully when it is all said and done it will be functional (meaning shifting will be exactly the same as with the shifter) or else it will just be a display piece really. But props to turbocad for his efforts.

3. OP
    OP
    HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    He did post that the Shiffting was great with them...

No problem. He just has an issue when he wants to pull the highbeam and the winshield washer setting..

Like you said, we shall see.

4. BTLFED

BTLFED Member

Woodstock GA
    2006 FX35 AWD
    That's impressive!

5. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

Looks very good...he has done a lot of custom work he should be proud of his accomplishments.

6. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    hey guys, this paddle shifter functions exactly the same as the floor shifter, the shifter when in manual mode is actually electric, when the shifter is put in manual mode it grounds a terminal on the bcm to force manual mode, then all it does is sends a ground pulse to the bcm for a shift, either up or down. these paddles do the exact same thing, no difference at all really, the car doesn't know the difference weather it's the paddles or the floor shifter making the request. it's pretty cool to shift with the paddles, can't wait till there permanently mounted:biggrin:

7. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Good to hear it is working out and functioning correctly. However, would you know if there any effects if a valve body upgrade work was done?

Also, are you saying you have test driven your FX with shifting from the paddles and the manual floor shifter and you see NO difference whatsoever? Or is there further testing that needs to be done?

8. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    well, I do need to final hook up everything, but it is 100% for sure going to be the exact same thing, theres no way it can't. the further testing will be what happens if you pull both paddles at the same time, or will the bcm recognize a shift request when in auto mode (the g37 does), but as far as functioning, it's exactly the same, just a matter of which switch you use to send the request, paddle or shifter are exactly the same, either just grounds a switch.

in order for me to do some extensive testing I need to get these solidly mounted, haven't done that yet...

9. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    as far as valve body upgraded, maybe you can tell me, how does yours shift with the shifter? is it less lag or around the same?... since it's computer controlled I think the actual control wouldn't change but the shifts will be firmer... if it works from the shifter it'll work same fro the paddles...

10. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    With my VB upgrade the shift lag is gone and it is firmer at higher rpms. There is a HUGE difference with and without the VB upgrade. I just don't know how this would be affected if any.

This would be a nice mod to have done but I probably would not be able to do it myself.

Good luck though John, I am looking forward to your results.

11. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    once I finish the paddles that will be the next thing I'll want to do is a vb upgrade, the lag is a bit of a nusance, not horrible, but if the vb improves this it's def worthwhile., can you downshift all the way to 1st when ever you want or is it still protected by the computer, mine won't downshift to 1st unless I'm going under like 20mph... the computer protects against really violent shifts, is this the same after the vb upgrade too?

12. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I have not downshifted all the way down to 1st when going at any high speeds. From my recollection, the best and safest I have done was going down from 4th to 2nd going approx 50-60mph. There probably is some sort of protection. The VB upgrade is a must!

13. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    ok, this mod is DONE, well, I still have to throw it in & wire it up, but the real work is done. I had to chop the switches & the carrier, I welded it togeather, it fits 100% perfect with no comprimises, it lines up like it was made for it, I didn't have to butcher the cover too much & a few rubber slot gaskets & it should look factory, there are a few other minor cover cosmetics low & behind, but they should be not a big deal.

it is far back enough that it doesn't affect normal steering use & you won't hit them by accident at all, but there still just a fingers tip away, there easy & comfortable to use... this is a nice mod & it looks factory, yeah, I like factory look, modded, but looks like it coulda came that way if you didn't know better:biggrin:

so I'm going to upload the shots here, I'm pretty out of space at the org, question, what's the limits here for uploads? does anyone mind if I post my future mods up here? can I link the photo's to the org? if there watermarked that's cool...

anyway, pictures:

14. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    & a few more:

15. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Looks very very cool turbo! Can you fly over to socal and do these mods =).

As for linking to the org I don't see why not and the picture uploading I'm not sure what the max limit is but Jeff should be able to answer that.

16. OP
    OP
    HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    Impressive. So tell me. If anyone wanted to get this done through you how would this work?

I would love to have this on my FX. It takes me back to my Audi Days with my A8

17. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    well, this could be done, but the only way I could do it for anyone is with a new clockspring, if you do it yourself you could probably do it with your own, clock springs are a delicate thing & if removed or installed incorrectly it can be damaged, I wouldn't do this really with a used one unless I took it out myself & possitioned it correctly.

I may build one setup with my original clockspring, but other than that, new is the only way really

I'd rather show you guys how to do it, but I would consider doing the setup, gotta look into the cost of the lower cover & figure out what it would cost labor & all, you can def save hundreds doing it yourself, without the clockspring total costs are under $200, as a kit built it might be like $600 or so, I don't want anyones money & that's not what I'm here for, I'd love to show you how to do it, no problem, but if someone really wants me to do it I'll consider this I guess... I'm sure you cali guys have local talent that could do this with a guide that I'll provide too :wub:

18. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Very cool of you turbo and I am definitely interested. However, I still want to wait until this is all installed in your FX and you have a chance to do some extensive testing. Will be looking forward to it. A guide would be great also.

19. OP
    OP
    HumbertoCALI

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    I would love to get this done but as you said it's a matter of finding someone talented enough to get it done.

I just don't know of one out here that can get it done.

We should talk on the phone. I will PM you my number. I have not been this excited since I got the Exhaust on my FX..

20. BTLFED

BTLFED Member

Woodstock GA
    2006 FX35 AWD
    That is so awesome! Infiniti should offer paddle shifters in the FX anyway. Fantastic Job Turbo!