Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Oil Leak! Any input?

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by shralp, Jul 13, 2007.

1. I posted this in the General Chat section, not sure if it belongs here. So here's my problem:

Two weeks ago, i installed an aluminum crank pulley (thanks IssaFX). I added the speedi-sleeve and followed fxlr8's directions for the installation. Today i jacked up my car to make sure the pulley wasn't leaking and luckily, it's dry as a bone. However, there was a puddle of oil in my splash guard and all over my sway bar! I thought maybe the drain plug screw in the oil pan was loose but it's not. Should there be a washer there because i just have the screw? It looks like the culprit is the rubber hosing that attaches just under the oil filter. I'm guessing this is the problem because most of the oil is on the sway bar directly below this hose connection. The weird thing is, i haven't had this problem until i installed the pulley. Coincidence? Check out these pictures and let me know what you think is going on here.

IMG_3160copy.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3160-1.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3161copy.jpg

Attached Files:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    have you recently changed your oil and oil filter? Also are you running without the splash shield?

3. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Hahahaha I love your illustrations... yeah I think you've found the problem. Just from the looks of it, it could possibly be leaking down the side of that metal part coming from the bottom of the oil filter, but to make sure I'd suggest wiping that part clean and looking again later. Yes that looks like it's the problem and no idea why it would coincide with the pulley. Could it be that it's been slowly doing that and you just looked now because you were concerned with the pulley and your extra caution about oil leaks was the reason you ended up catching this problem that could've been going on previously?

4. OP
    OP
    shralp

shralp Member

I haven't changed my filter in a couple thousand miles now and i keep the splash guard on.

It's definitely possible that my extra caution with the pulley made me notice the oil but this is the first time there was a puddle sitting in the splash guard. I wiped everything clean last night so i'll notice where any fresh oil is today. Thanks for the input!

5. OP
    OP
    shralp

shralp Member

Which way is the oil traveling in that rubber tube that connects to the oil filter?

6. OP
    OP
    shralp

shralp Member

I just replaced the hose clamp. Hopefully that does the trick.

7. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    Fixed?

8. OP
    OP
    shralp

shralp Member

looks good so far. i'll be jacking her up tomorrow to change the tranny fluid and i'll know for sure then.

9. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Those hose clamps suck, the worm drive ones hold better. I have 2 worm drives on each of the lines on the tranny fluid portion of the radiator to keep it from leaking.

Hopefully that solves it.

10. OP
    OP
    shralp

shralp Member

I replaced it with a worm drive one and everything's dry! hopefully it stays that way.

11. rookie

rookie Premium Member Premium

Cool deal. :)

Those oem fittings are not horribly bad, just after messing with them a few times I've found they lose some of their tension.

12. Jokajjp

Jokajjp Member

Philadelphia
    2013 FX37 AWD
    Dez
    Garages:
    Thanks for pics. I recently started having that problem and for the life of me couldn't find out where the leak was coming from. :good: