Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Off-Road/Safari FX35

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by insanegunner, Jul 25, 2015.

1. insanegunner

insanegunner Member

Name:
    Joey
    Hey Guys,

Follow this thread, I am looking to make my 2004 FX35 AWD outfitted for off-road. I have seen a couple of threads from the past about doing this but nobody seems to follow thru with it. Does anybody know why? I think a off-road/safari fitted ride is in order. I'm thinking of a subtle lift: maybe 2" with some rugged trail tires

day lamps:
    "

IMG_1572Medium.jpg "

bull guard:
    07-11-Infiniti-FX-Bullbar-SP.jpg

roof rack:
    img_0681-jpg.105951.jpg

I just wanna put all of the elements together in one FX35.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. RIPnFX

RIPnFX iS VIP iS VIP

Car:
    Infiniti FX 35 Limited Edition
    Name:
    Rip Singh
    Garages:
    Honestly I'm not really digging the idea of a lifted off-road FX, that's the reason no one has ever done it till this day. IMO it will look horrible but to each his own.

3. OP
    OP
    insanegunner

insanegunner Member

Name:
    Joey
    I agree that most setups have been for the urban lifestyles but I'm in Texas and there is a lot of demand for off-road vehicles. Since I do a lot of mountain biking and trail riding, this set up will allow me to get into some, more remote areas, the lift will also help with towing. And since I'm looking into getting me a boat, it all kinda works out in my favor. This is my wife's FX but we loved it so much that I decided to keep it and get her a newer one. Besides, luxury off-road is the new fab. I don't expect everybody to accept, but I did notice some members truly interested in the concept in other threads. But thank you for the input RipnFX, I really appreciate it. BTW, that one pic of the roof rack kinda looks like yours RipnFX is it?

I have also seen a lot of off-roadring YouTube videos on FX's and I am happy with the performance aspect of the FX for that. And with the AWD feature in my model, I think I am on the right path for my needs and not have to buy a different vehicle.all I gotta do is mod-it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  4. teemoney

teemoney Member

Car:
    2007 Infiniti fx35
    Garages:
    I'm thinking the fx is a luxury awd sports suv not a off road vehicle. Just cause it's awd doesn't make it suited for off road. A wrx is an awd off road rally vehicle but you wouldn't drive a gtr the same way. For less than a couple grand you can drive an older ford explorer or a cherokee or a 4 runner. Why the FX? To each his own but it's not suited for that. Go to you tube and you'll see videos of guys trying to use the fx off road, just not a good vehicle for that. No one has done it for a reason. If you decide to do it please post pics as i'm sure some guys would like to see what you did. Funny. most guys here are trying to lower it and you're wanting to raise it. I'm sure some guy out there thought about raising a lambo too

5. OP
    OP
    insanegunner

insanegunner Member

Name:
    Joey
    jajajaja, Im sure somebody thought of that too. That's the reason they call us "Krazies". I have seen some off road fails on FX's but it's due to clearance and inappropriate tires for that terrain. But u r right on the sporty SUV design of the FX and its nature. That's the reason why I don't want to make a monster truck out of it, just a sporty off-road vehicle like a "Land Rover" per say. It's mostly for looks and practicality and not necessarily for climbing mountains. We really don't have any here in Texas, just hill country.

6. meme405

meme405 Premium Member Premium

Car:
    2008 FX35
    Garages:
    The thing is a landrover has e-diffs, low range gear box, adjustable off-road suspension, and good approach and departure angles. On top of that the landrover's underside is designed for off-roading even if most of them spend their entire lives on road.

By comparison, the FX has a ton of stuff that hang really low underneath it, a relatively weak transmission and AWD system in heavy off-road situations, no adjustable suspension system, in fact nobody even makes any sort of lift kit for these things.

The SUV's that people take to do off-road stuff with are always based on truck platforms, whereas the FX is based on a modified sports car platform.

Its the difference between starting with a flip flop and trying to turn it into a combat boot, and just buying a combat boot to begin with.

7. BYGDAWG3758

BYGDAWG3758 Member

Car:
    2005 Infiniti FX45
    Name:
    HENRY
    To the InsaneGunner: Here is a horrible example of a new FX going "off-roading" in the desert.
    (Yes, It's a repost, but it fits in this thread). Welcome to :iS: and good luck with modding yout ride.
    http://youtu.be/7GjBAaMLMTo

8. smijus

smijus Brat and Curd Aficionado Premium

Car:
    2007 FX35 AWD
    Name:
    Justin
    Garages:
    Ha, I was going to link to that same video. It's all I could think of...

9. J3FF3R$0N

J3FF3R$0N She Needs Premium Dude ! Premium

Car:
    2004 FX35
    Name:
    Jeff
    Garages:
    If you are just after a look I don't see anything wrong with that . The FX would look macho like these two

///11414[/ATTACH]

///11415[/ATTACH]

Performance actually off road would be poor but I think it would look sick if done right

10. mishanja

mishanja Member

Car:
    2013 BMW X5
    Garages:
    Is that VW from Repomen????

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Love VW, don't care for BMW at all

11. Themechanic

Themechanic The World Is Yours Premium

Car:
    2014 qx70s
    Name:
    Edwin
    Garages:
    That videos funny! The only thing i would ever modify to an extreme for off road would be a jeep!

12. OP
    OP
    insanegunner

insanegunner Member

Name:
    Joey
    The BMW is more along the lines of what I want to do.

13. WiND DANCE

WiND DANCE Member

Car:
    2005 FX35
    Garages:
    Like others have stated, the FX isn't a true SUV. Underneath all the guts it's a G35, hence why some label it to be a CUV. You want to off road you'll need a truck platform. (land rovers, jeeps, 4runners, explorers, etc.)

Can it be lifted and fitted with extreme tires? Off course... Will it perform? Weakly maybe
    You wouldn't take a Rav4 or a CRV off-roading right? It's not designed for it.

14. myron02

myron02 Member

Car:
    2007 fx35
    yea I think it is a VW from Repomen. It's pretty bad ass too.

I think FX would look bad ass with some fender flares like that. There was a render of this somewhere. I remember seeing it a while back. I would rock those on my FX with some wide wheels

15. mishanja

mishanja Member

Car:
    2013 BMW X5
    Garages:
    let me dig up some old photos, I never had a lift, but have bull guard, rails and bike rack...

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Here are couple of pictures with roof rack (Yakima) and rails. I can't locate the bull bar photos at the moment (its been a while), but I never had any lights on it. As a matter of fact, I am reworking it now (as you inspired me to put it back on) - I blacked it out, and also waiting on a set of LED lights to put on. So stay tuned....

444043E0442043E04330440043004440438044F022_zpsf1568718.jpg
    444043E0442043E04330440043004440438044F07_zpsdff75965.jpg

16. OP
    OP
    insanegunner

insanegunner Member

Name:
    Joey
    There u go, see! That's the spirit I was looking for. I was thinking on putting on some of those side step rails/tubes. What r they called. R they universal or r they specific to the fx? I've looked at them but I don't know if they make them specifically compatible to the FX.

17. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Car:
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    You can make it look like you're going off road, but the FX won't do that well actually being off road. It only tows 3500 lbs, so I hope your boat is small.

And I posted this in another thread, but go under your car and look at the underbody. So much stuff is exposed and hangs off the bottom. Also, the AWD system isn't designed for off roading. Some people say you can lift your car with coilovers, but I'm not sure how as the shock lengths don't look long enough to go above OEM height. OEM height has huge wheel gap so I'm sure you can stuff larger tires in there without actually lifting the suspension. That would get you your look, but I think if you actually went off road stuff will break pretty fast. The FX is basically a G35 wagon; it's not an SUV.

18. mishanja

mishanja Member

Car:
    2013 BMW X5
    Garages:
    mine are FX35 specific, because mounting brackets are made to attach to certain places (some where GTSpec bars are attached)

19. gicastro

gicastro Member

Car:
    2011 FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    Anyone have an updated offroad type fx35 pic available.

20. elusive

elusive Member

Car:
    Fx35
    Insanegunner what's up man I hope these guys didn't discourage you!

Every time one of these threads come up they've been shut down, haha. I can see why. These are all valid points.

I'm actually super interested in a safari FX35 as well. Granted, I know the limits of our cars! We won't be able to do any rock crawling but hill climbs? Doubt that's a problem if it's not super steep.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a steel plate front bumper lol, that would be very unnecessary but looks badass.

I would put a roof top tent, why not? Bushwhacker fender flares? Hell yeah.

I was thinking earlier today actually about how versatile air suspension would be for this type of application.. how much lift can you get on air systems? That way you can lift when you need ground clearance and lower when you want handling.

Let her rip.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Here's me and my activities
    e9epg0.png
    i1fm7t.png
    7098d63dc49d73d27a1e461e3c7bada8.jpg

Here's a chop I did with a steel plate bumper lol. looks pretty ridiculous but mean as hell.

ab4a95b2d96eca3a4664d1048252a684.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.