Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 New To Modding-need Help

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by jbaker1121, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    hey gusy i've had a 2005 fx35 for a while, and i decided to start to mod it. I alredy ordered an INJEN intake, and its getting installed in a couple of days. in the infinitifx.org forums, peiople had mixed answers for my questions, the most important being:

DOES THE INTAKE INCREASE OR HURT THE POWER?
    HOW CAN I INCREASE POWER THE EASIEST?

any answers that are helpful woudl be GREAT!!!

i really appreciate it

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    You will not see or feel a much increase in power if any without a good ecu tune. What you will hear is louder intake( but does sound very nice with the open cone filter) that might make you think or perceive more power from the FX.

But the easiest increase in power for a naturally aspirated FX35 will probably come with the plenum spacer, then an ecu reflash, and then high flow cats, headers, etc... I think the 35 members will probably agree or give more insight on this.

3. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    WELL IF I WANTED TO START SLOW, I SHOULD START WITH THE INTAKE, WHICH I ALREADY HAVE, THEN THE SPACER (what size shoudl i get?), then the "ecu reflash"?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  4. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    If you already have then go ahead install it. And then the rest. But, do the ecu reflash once you have done all your intake, engine and exhaust mods, that way the ecu can bring everything together.

Btw, welcome to the scene!!! Hope you enjoy the site and what it has to offer your FX modding adventures. Enjoy =)

5. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    thanks man!!!! do you have any reccomendatiosn for the type/size of the spacer i should put in? and the type for everyuthing else?

6. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    and how much did the nismo cost you

7. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    I recommend the Skunk2 5/8" plenum spacer or the Motordyne 1/2" spacer. I cannot tell a difference between iso-thermal and regular.

As far as NA performance gains, you're somewhat wasting your time if you really want more power. The VQ motor doesn't respond well to upgrades. Everything you do to it is so minimal in the grand scheme of things that you really should weigh cost vs benefit.

In the end, after spending all that money on NA performance, you'll wind up with half the bill of a supercharger and only a quarter of the gains, and that's being generous on the gains.

The only thing I really ever felt a difference with was the LMS supercharger before the motor gave way :shame:

8. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    so then what would you recommend for a power increase?

9. Frankiago

IL
    General price range on a brand new Nismo exhaust is ~$900-1100, and then you have installation...

10. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    ok well besides the nismo, what woudl you reccomend i do to increase the power, in particular the take off power

11. Frankiago

IL
    lol, I think I've already mentioned it ;)

Scrap your new intake and go with this kind of intake:
    t_16244.jpg :LOL:

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    hmmm a twin turbo......?

i was thinking more of a less expensive mod....

so basically, getting my intake will not hurt my power, but it wont really help it? aka itll just sound better? a dn what will getting a spacer do?

13. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    by the way it's an INJEN intake, just letting you know...

14. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    also, would adding a throttle body of some sort help with my takeoff?

15. Frankiago

IL
    Well yeah lol I was kinda just jokin.

But as for the spacer, I thought it opened up my higher end power, didn't necessarily feel any torque boost that some claim and I think might even be shown on Tony's (Motordyne guy) dyno charts.

I haven't felt the same torque I had from day 1 of owning the FX. Even the S/Cer didn't give me that initial slam me back in the seat like stock really did. Everything, according to my butt dyno, would just start rocketing the thing forward after 3k, and after test pipes, headers, a muffler that didn't restrict anything (and you could tell by the sound) and all the intake crap with the exception of an MREV that 3k bumped to 3500... I mean everything went ape chit after a seemingly tame 2500-3000 RPM, then it opens up and gets louder and louder as it climbed (you can kinda see it in my YouTube- Flowmaster & Test Pipes FX35)

And FYI, after getting a loud exhaust, I'm now wanting to go in the opposite direction and I'm going to change all my exhaust out to try to keep it as quiet as possible with as little flow restriction as possible. I'd rather have it more quiet at the expensive of backpressure on the turbos goin on later.

16. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    yeah well i dont necessarily want a louder exast--i ws planning on keeping stock. i just want the "throw you back into your seat" explosion type of takeoff acceleration--thats what im looking for. my friend says getting the intake, spacer, and a throttle body, then getting the chip ecu programmed properly will create what i'm looking for. is he rigght?

17. Frankiago

IL
    Throttle body spacer?

I don't believe in anything throttle-body related except for a bigger one.

You go with a bigger MAF sensor housing, bigger throttle body, and open up to a new custom plenum and you'll see some retardedly insane gains after 5500-6000 RPM, but all that is overkill especially on NA. The only guys I see do that are the 800+ HP 350Z's and whatnot that are running 20+ lbs boost.

And then there's guys at the same time pushing 600-700 HP on completely stock MAF and throttle body, so take that for what it's worth I guess.

In the end, a new throttle body (the only difference is it's bigger... bigger diameter and a bigger butterfly valve to accommodate).

The Motordyne has a coolant bypass valve or a copper bypass option for the throttle body, I don't think it's worthwhile. The coolant flow to this area is for keeping the throttle body from freezing during cold months and does nothing but heat up your throttle body in warmer climate, but it's so minimal/negligible.

18. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    okay... so all i ask:

what will get me the "throw you back into your seat" explosion takeoff acceleration that i'm looking for?

19. Frankiago

IL
    I don't know what he means by throttle body... you have a throttle body and as in my last post, there's not much you can do to that besides what I think is a useless throttle body SPACER, or redirect coolant flow away from it, or get a bigger one. Your throttle body is the butterfly valve that opens up to allow air to the intake manifold. What you have stock is close to as good as it gets without having to do some serious work on getting a bigger one. The 5.6L throttle body doesn't work, along with any other Nissan throttle bodies that happen to be larger.

20. OP
    OP
    jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:

^^^^^^

would it be getting my intake, a spacer, then an ECU programming?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.