Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 NEW MODS! (This is getting addicting)

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by FX_Allen, Mar 19, 2008.

1. P1000666.jpg

Stillen Strut bar & Motordyne 5/16 ISO Thermal

Next up! UTR CF Cover, Polished Plenum, Lowering springs (install), and either HKS/Nismo/FastIntentions exhaust...

YAY :rock:

Attached Files:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. jc'sfx

jc'sfx Premium Member Premium

Nice job Allen!! What kinda springs are you going with?

3. OP
    OP
    FX_Allen

FX_Allen Member

i wanted teins or cusco... but they dont produce any springs for them... Unless i they tell me they want to use my car for prototyping, I'll probably go with H&R... unless i can find the 1.8" drop INTRAX... :xd:

4. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    if you cut the front H&R's half a coil,& shave the rear upper mounts you'll wind up with approx 1 15/16" front, 1 1/2" rear drop... the ride is very good still, slightly stiffer, but not bad at all, looks & handles nice...

5. OP
    OP
    FX_Allen

FX_Allen Member

i talked to a rep from H&R and he told me i should never cut the coil... cuz the coils are set the way it is... if u heat it and cut the coil it will mess up the coil...

6. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    yes, that's true, but a cold cut will do no damage, the end result will be a higher spring rate. if you measure the amount of coils as a straight length, then the amount cut off will directly corilate to the increase in spring rate, for example if the cut reduces the overall fee floating coil length by 8%, then the spring rate will be 8% higher.

ask any nissan service advisor if you should install a cai, the answer will be no you shouldn't do that:p same here with an h&r rep, I wouldn't expect him to say yeah, go ahead & butcher our well engineered product:4tongue:...

cutting springs is one of the oldest mods in the book, with a cold cut there is absolutely nothing to fear at all, as long as you re-orient the spring seat up top to match the 180deg rotation of the new seat position...

7. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

haha yess allen... real nice!

8. jc'sfx

jc'sfx Premium Member Premium

Hey Allen, dont you know better than to disagree with Turbocad6?? .. j/k .. :LOL:

9. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

+1 you shouldn't heat cut - cold cut is the best way.

10. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Looking really good Allen!!

Did you paint your engine cover yourself? That's exactly the way I want to do mine.

Maybe if you get a CF cover you'd be willing to sell yours?

11. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Looks good . . 'bout time you got hooked :biggrin:

12. OP
    OP
    FX_Allen

FX_Allen Member

yea... i picked up some rim sponsors... ^_^ Seibon's new sister company... details later...

Yea i forgot... thx turbo/dave/brown/jc/keemo/psciline for the nice comments...

i juss might do the cold cut... can i cut a full coil front and half back? i wanted a more aggressive and SLAMMED look...

Yea, I'll possibly sell my stock cover... i gotta find a good CF cover first tho... UTR makes a full one or half (350z)... ill post in FS if i do sell it... Oh no my cover isnt painted, just a bit of good ol' elbow grease and tire shine LOL ^_^... Im thinking of painting it flat black or black chrome... update more later...

13. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    he asked if it was painted cuz usually the inside part is silver, where it has the symbol and engine size. did yurs come all black?

14. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    you can't cut the rears cause there formed on both ends, (although the bottom is slightly progressive, I think I might try 1/4 coil) the front are a continuous coil, so they can be cut no problem. the rears there is an upper spring mount that is very very thick, you can cut a good 1/2" or so out of that, I used a hack saw. if you want no chance of problems don't cut the rear springs

the top of the front spring is formed to come to a closed loop at the top, & then is machined a bit... it fits into a pocket that fits into the upper strut mount. the spring coils down evenly & then it just ends at some point with no forming of the end, just the continuous coil to a cut off. this is the end you cut. eyeball dissect the circle of the spring make a mark 180deg from the existing end. cold cut can be a cut of wheel, a dremmel if you got an hour or 2 to kill:cry:, or a hack saw even, no torch :) then, use the piece you cut off as a guide as to where you cut th other one. the exact place you cut isn't super citical to the mm, but you should make sure that both sides are the same as much as practical.

if the end of the coil was at lets say 6 o'clock relative to the top pocket of the spring, then after this cut the end will now be at 12 o'clock. the lower spring seat can't be rotated cause it s part of the strut & the spring can't seat on the strut at the 12 o'clock position, so the spring needs to be rotated 180deg. then the top seat won't line up, but it can be rotated to match, done.

the top is on a bearing, you can just rotate the whole assy to get the top to just line up after the cut, but then the spring will not sit straight & it has a high chance of popping out of place & causing all kinds of grief. you have to keep the upper strut mount in the same orientation to the strut as it was & just rotate the inner rubber gasket seat thingy... this is the one thing you don't want a moron mechanic to screw up, it's possible to force the spring in with the top not lined up properly if he doesn't realize to rotate the inner seat & they'll be noisy & give problems, but any decent mechanic should be able to figure it out really

stock the fx is pretty high in the nose with no rake at all, after these cuts the front comes down 1/2 in more than the rear, it has a nice rake & nice stance to it & looks more aggressive. the difference in rake is what I noticed the most, at first it felt a little weird I had to re adjust my seat, but it handles & rides great...

about the only negative I could say about it is, the stock H&R spring rate is pretty even front & rear,& after the cuts it is slightly noticeable that the front is a little stiffer than the rear, it does not feel bad, but I think it might feel a bit better if the rear was a little more stiff too, again, I was sensitive to that initially but have settled into being very comfortable & happy with the ride overall. I don't think the rear is too high or should come down more, but it would be really perfect if the rear was a little stiffer to match the slightly stiffer front.

15. OP
    OP
    FX_Allen

FX_Allen Member

haha i forgot wat i was gonna post... damn AIM msgs... :eek:oh:

16. OP
    OP
    FX_Allen

FX_Allen Member

oh YEA! the cover was already black...

17. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    relly?
    ddi they used to come like that of soemthing? haha
    loosk way better than black/silver IMO

18. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

Nice. Was it made like that or previously painted?
    If they have an option like that, that's OEM I'd buy one.

19. jbaker1121

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    already asked that ;)

20. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

I wanna hear about the sponsors.....details :top: