Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

New Mod - 1st West Coast FX Paddle Shifter

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Interior & Exterior' started by Dr.2K, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    The newest mod for my FX45. Thanks to John (turbocad)for his write-up and assistance in helping me get this mod done this weekend. I have been wanting to do this ever since I saw John do it on his FX35. John did the fabrication and I finished up the installation. I did this in two parts and over 2 days with about 4 hours work each day. It took this long mostly due to me not being very handy with a dremel or soldering iron :biggrin:. Everything works great and I am very happy with the outcome.

DSC02503Large.jpg
    DSC02494Large.jpg
    DSC02506Large.jpg
    DSC02487Large.jpg
    DSC02492Large.jpg
    DSC02491Large.jpg
    DSC02493Large.jpg

Did some test driving and it shifts just like the manual shifter. Will report back after some test driving and racing at the track next weekend. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. IlovemyFX

IlovemyFX Premium Member Premium

Vancouver, BC
    2005 FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    Very nice work doc. Turbo will be proud.:cool:

3. BIGTURK

BIGTURK Premium Member Premium

Good job doc :top:.

4. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Very clean install. We gotta hook it up so I can see it in action

5. BaBaLuwee

BaBaLuwee Member

So. Cal
    2004 FX 35 RWD
    Wow this was quick in getting to the west coast. Really I never thought it would happen out here. The Doctor has operated!!! Nice work.

6. aiya

aiya First Genner iS VIP

NYC
    Garages:
    That should come in very handy at the track! Have fun with it!

7. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    You beat me to it Pierce.. Great Mod.....

8. OP
    OP
    Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Thanx guys. I had been talking to John about this since last November. I had the parts in for about a month but did not have a chance to install this until this weekend. Turbocad(John) did an excellent job with the fabrication which made the install that much easier.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  9. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    saweettttt. im having him do the sl turn signals in my mirror housing sometime this month, glad to see that once again, he does great work!

p.s. paddles look sexy they should be stock haha

10. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

The install does look very clean. Kudos to you and Turbo!

11. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

So Doc - you're gonna let me drive your car next weekend right?;)

12. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    hey doc, looks great, glad we were able to get it done:biggrin: enjoy & def give your driving impressions after you use them a bit...

13. OP
    OP
    Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Sure, no problem Will.

Thanx John! I'm really digging it! No more spacing out and mis-shifting into neutral :LOL:. And you were right, its DEFINITELY a plus having the shifters in the stationary position. That was one thing I was concerned about.

14. jc'sfx

jc'sfx Premium Member Premium

Nice Job!! .. another successful operation by the Doctor.

15. awesome...great job both of you!

16. OP
    OP
    Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Just an update to my experience this weekend at the track with this shifter mod. It worked flawlessly and was even more convenient for me to shift. Actually its much safer too because you have both hands on the steering wheel. Can't wait to test this out on a road course or autoX course. Will put up another review once that happens.

Also, HumbertoCali and psiclne saw and felt out the paddles and they were very impressed with the feel and fabrication work done by turbocad and my install of course :p. They didn't get to test drive it yet but perhaps someone will in the near future and post their review of it here. Once again, thanx for making this happen John!

17. turbocad6

turbocad6 iS VIP iS VIP

brooklyn, ny
    Garages:
    your welcome, enjoy, they are really cool.

drags is nice with these but it's no big deal, but road course, oh my god... you'll be able to keep your car always in the rev's with both hands on the wheel.... it's gonna really prove it's worth there I think for sure, paddle shifting is made for road courses & adds a whole new ease of control in agressive driving :)

18. G2Nice

G2Nice Member

My first post, cause I gotta say, I love that paddle shift mod. :rock: I hope to pick up a 2006 FX this summer/fall, and after getting it, I hope to see Turbocad's ride in person for mod inspiration(I'm in Queens, NY, a borough away).

Quick question, once the paddles are installed, do you HAVE to use them to shift all the time now, or can you still drive automatic w/ the option to use the paddle shift when you want to? (Me, personally wouldn't mind shifting, but the wife will kill me if she had to do that all the time!)

19. OP
    OP
    Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    After the paddle install, everything works as before. You do not loose anything. The paddle mod just gives you the option of using the paddle or the stick to do the shifting in manual mod. The auto still works as before also.

Hope to see you around :iS: once you get your FX.

20. Tko512iFX

Tko512iFX Premium Member Premium

How much did this mod run you if you dont mind me asking?