Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

[OT] need advice on entry model dSLR camera

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by trainerKEN, Sep 20, 2007.

1. trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

...so, I'm starting to look at dSLR cameras... In December I'll be taking my very first trip to Europe! It's a family thing... my parents and sister have been there before. I really want to capture the trip with some great memorable pics.

I'm considering the following:

Canon XT/XTi
    Nikon D40/D40x
    I'd like to have the extra MP but is it really necessary to buy the XTi/D40x over the XT/D40?
    I think any models above those are going to be more than what I need.

I've read up on a couple others like Olympus and Sony (formally Minolta/Konica)... but seems like most people lean towards Canon/Nikon... so, if any of you have any experience in dSLR's... please chime in.

thanks in advance :biggrin:

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Wheres Gil? I know hes into Cameras, there might be others also qualified to help ya out. Doc??? Im a point n shoot kinda guy :LOL:

3. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Hey guys! Wow a trip to europe! Your going to have a great time Ken.

As for a digital SLR camera I have Canon 30D. It was for my wife who wanted to start photography as a hobby. Anyways, I have been fooling around with it for about 3-4 months now I really like the functionality. The new 40D just came out and it is better then the 30D in many ways but you can't always upgrade every year :LOL:.

I honestly don't know much about the canon rebel xti or nikon D40. But i think they are equal in many respects, but for more vivid color's canon can't be beat but nikons have such sharp images. Read up here and compare the 2 and get the one that you think will work for you the best. Let us know what you end up getting.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

4. BaBaLuwee

BaBaLuwee Member

So. Cal
    2004 FX 35 RWD
    I cant say im an expert in photograph or the gear since ive only been into it for about a year now, im still learning. I do know that getting into dslr cameras is not cheap if you catch the bug like I have. I have the Canon XTi and its a good entry level dslr camera. You might want to look into the Canon 30D as its a step up from the XTi but priced close to the XTi since its an older model, released 2006.

From what I have learned is that there is only 2 Nikon DX lenses that are available for the Nikon D40, meaning that you have little room to expand. The lenses also use an AF motor built into the lenses and not the camera. With the XTi you will be able to use all Canon lenses and also keep using them as you upgrade cameras over the years.

Some don't see any difference in more mpixels from 8 to 10. It might only make a difference if you want to make big prints.

If you just want to take pic's of stuff and are not going to get into photograpy then maybe the D40, its good for that. But if you think you will get into photography as a hobby then XTi for sure because then you're investing into a camera system not just a camera. The XT would be my next choice.

5. BaBaLuwee

BaBaLuwee Member

So. Cal
    2004 FX 35 RWD
    I am so tempted to get the 40D. I kind of met my limitations with the XTi when taking pictures at my daughters volleyball games. The 40D is so much faster than the XTi. I'm trying to hold off until a 50D comes along. Check out the speed of the 40D http://www.komar.org/faq/camera/canon-40d-versus-rebel-xti-400d/continuous-shooting-sound/

6. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    That is pretty fast. But not enough to upgrade from a 30D to a 40D but maybe to a 5D lol. But i find its the lenses that make or break a picture. But good lenses are so dam expensive!

7. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

what about those "megazoom" type cameras? like, the Canon Powershot S5 IS? I know they're more or less just a point and shoot with a big lens... but maybe that's all I need(?). I just don't know if this will become a hobby at this point...

I DO like the wide angles capablity of the dSLR's tho... (for the scenic shots)

(BUT, Panasonics' megazoom has wide angle capablity)

8. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    If you don't want to fiddle with different lenses for different types of shots then I'd say just stick with a good point and shoot. Like the panasonic lumix dmc or the canon powershot G5.

9. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

yeah, I'll probably go that route, and I hate to sound like such a tourist, but the dSLRs don't even do video

10. Krayzie

Krayzie AĆ©rospatiale

and the screen is broken until you take a picture;)

11. hey... I use a canon 10D... ive always used canon and so have the other photographers in my company... if u go wid canon i might be able to get a nice little discount...

nikon is also a good choice... do u need it for versatility and portability? or for power and accuracy?

the new Canon 13.9MP SLR might be released soon (rumors)... amazing quality tho.

did u buy it yet? i can ask the other photographers... i do marketing and PR... i dont really do the photography...

12. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

No, I haven't bought anything yet... IF I were to go with a D-SLR, it definitely would be a Canon... but if I were going with a "megazoom" type point-n-shoot... I finding some of the other brands offer more AND have been getting better reviews... but I haven't decided yet...

btw, my parents live in Walnut... in fact, I'm home for the weekend to see them... we're having Dim Sum (or Yumchah) at a restaurant by the 99 Market right now!

...anyway, yeah... I will definitely keep you in mind, thanks!

13. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

I have a Canon 10D...pretty old school i think (a few years old). i haven't really spent too much time learning about DSLR's i usually just use my P&S SD700 IS.

i used my 10D on our cruise to the Mediterranean...best pictures ive ever taken lol. i have two lenses but its been over a year since i've even used my 10D so i dont remember which ones they are.

14. 10D is nice camera. I don't think there are such a thing as BAD camera(Even cell-phone cams sometimes create some amazing shots), I suggest you get something like Rebel XTi(Entry level DSLR as Gil mentioned) since this is your first DSLR. Try it out for a month, shoot as many as you can then if you don't think XTi is enough for you then sell it, you won't loose much money. And get something like 40D which is really really great camera. But I'm pretty sure you will be happy with Rebel XTi. I will post some pics I took with Rebel XTi(Please don't laugh...I'm self studying/learning process), I had this camera for little over 5 month now, I still think this camera is all I need(More than enough) at this level. I say, get the Canon Rebel XTi with kit lenses and get a good lense.
    Get it quick! and test it, learn it and take beautiful pictures while traveling!! :)
    Make sure you take some shots and practice before you take off.

5-8.jpg
    ace94c12.jpg
    Binocular.jpg
    Bong.jpg
    Cloud.jpg
    _6.jpg
    getty2.jpg
    Escape.jpg
    Lamp.jpg
    LilTokyo.jpg
    Nike.jpg
    SBCC.jpg
    Solvang.jpg
    sky.jpg

To some of you professional photographer and enthusiaste...please don't laugh! :)
    I just like taking pictures and just wanted give trainerKEN an idea what rebel XTi is capable of.

Attached Files:

15. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Wow those are some nice pictures Min, I see you have been practicing alot! I really like the blue sky with the clouds picture. And i see you even had time to play some golf at Ccean Meadows in SB, I can see FT in the background. Brings back alot of memories for me.

16. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Love the pictures, they are like old modern pics....

17. gto

gto Track Ready Moderator

Los Angeles, CA
    05 FX35 RWD
    Garages:
    Very good eye Min.

18. Yep, I play golf once a while, fun sport. :) I normally play @ Glen Annie but it was $12 for 18 holes @ Ocean Meadows that day Cheap!!~~~

19. trainerKEN, have you decided what you gonna get? Join the Canon club!! L0L
    One more shot of Alex's new modified E-Class

E550000.jpg

Attached Files:

20. OP
    OP
    trainerKEN

trainerKEN iS VIP iS VIP

that's a SICK ride!! and awesome picture!!!

no, I haven't decided...

but I hate to say this... I have bad news... the trip's been postponed... and that's NOT even the bad news, the bad news is that they (the doctors) found a tumor near one of my dad's lungs... They are very optimistic about the early detection. But my dad starts radiation therapy this coming monday... then eventually, they said minimal chemotherapy... We are postponing the trip til later, maybe Spring. But I DO, eventually, want to make the decision on the right camera... cuz this trip will be very speical for our family.

Attached Files: