Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

Need advice for brake pads

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Wheels & Suspension' started by brown_fv, Aug 8, 2007.

1. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

hey guys. next week im going to set up an appointment to replace my brake pads and right now i am looking for some options on replacements.

i do however find it a bit weird that at 24,000KM (15,000 miles) the brakes need replacing...would they cover that under warranty by any chance?

right now i am looking at the oem pads which on infinitipartsusa.com i can get a whole set (front & rear) for $83.69 before shipping. what about hawk pads? i have read some good things about them and a few bad things, but where can i get them and how much would they cost? are there any other brand of pads is should look into?

thanks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    To answer some of your questions, if you have no issues with the OEM pads, I'd stay with them.

I had squealing issues, so went with akebono proact and couldn't be more happy. No real difference, just that they are silent and not too much brake dust. You can do ebay or www.tirerack.com You will see a lot of options for our cars when you enter in your model. Hawk HPS I hear are really good as well. Try reading the reviews on tirerack.com, that should lead you to your choice.

FYI - I'm running OEM rotors.

3. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Akebono will be my next set of pads to try. Axis has wayyy to much brake dust. Hawks I heard were good but a bit dusty also.

If you are going to sat with oem rotors then stay with the oem pads or go with akebono since Chedman seems to have good results with them.

4. Get a Big Brake Kit like Endless, AP Racing, StopTech, Brembo....etc Use this maintenance as an excuse to do it....DoooOOOOOO IT!!! :wub::rolleyes:

5. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    DooOOOOO IT!!!!!:biggrin:
    DooOOOOO IT!!!!!
    DooOOOOO IT!!!!!
    DooOOOOO IT!!!!!
    DooOOOOO IT!!!!!
    DooOOOOO IT!!!!!
    DooOOOOO IT!!!!!

Wish I could.:mad::frown:

6. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    Dr. 2K,

Since brake dust seems a factor for you, just wanted to let you know that I've had OEM Pads in Front and Akebono Pads in Rear for a while before I switched to all Akebono.

The OEM pads and Akebono pads gave off about the same amount of brake dust, which I considered to be very light. Off topic - I bought new rotors which I'll install in about two months when my pad life is up (going akebono all around again). Went with Centric Premium rotors (http://www.centricparts.com/prod02.htm) which I found out are the blanks that Stoptech uses when they slot or cross drill their rotors. $250 shipped to my door for four rotors. I decided that a plain rotor was best for my scenario after numerous hours of online reading on plain vs slotted vs cross drilled vs slotted and cross drilled vs dimpled, etc...

7. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Good to know Chedman, thank you. The combo I am running now is working out great (no squeeking and VERY low brake dust) until I decide to to the BB kit upgrade.

8. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

AHH! im going to quit the scene because of peer pressure :frown:

next spring/summer when i get some forged rims the oem brakes will look kinda small...then it might be time for a BBK!:LOL:

9. Relax man...just charge $6500 for an Endless BBK set on the cc and forget about it. ;) If you were local I'd even help you install them :biggrin:

10. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

LMFAO! my personal creditcard limit isnt even $5000 yet! if i use my other card that goes to my dads account on the other hand *no limit*...i might have to go TT at the same time i go BBK!:rofl::rofl:

on a more serious note though...i was talking to my dad and he said that its way too early to need new brakes but i let him drive the car and he agrees with me they need replacing. he said they should be covered under warranty because im only at 24,000KM...is that right, or should i just try and BS the dealership into replacing them for free (although i bet the dealership will say they are fine)

11. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Brake pads = normal wear and tear items and will NOT be covered under warranty unless the pads were defective somehow.

12. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

hmm...i guess i will get the OEM brake pads then. after the conversion rate + shipping it should come to about $100 for the front+back brake pads. hopefully the install will be no more than $150 right?

13. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Here in the US I think the going infiniti tech labor rate is $90-95/hr. I think this is a 1-1.5 hr job. It should be around that much.

14. OP
    OP
    brown_fv

just a quick update, today i ordered new brake pads online. EBC Green Stuff...ive heard good things about them so i thought i would try them out. will post impressions and thoughts after i get them installed.

15. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Doc, What are you running now?

16. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Oem brake pads with the stop tech stage 2 cross drilled rotors from the org GB awhile back.

17. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Did LMS put the rotors on for ya? If so - do you remember how much they charged?

18. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    I will let you exactly tomorrow Will. I have the invoice at my office. But I believe it was around $200.00. They ordered the oem brake pads for me from metro infiniti.

19. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Doc, so you recently put on the Cross Drilled? Was it that day I met up with ya at LMS? I thought you were there to change the pads only.

20. Dr.2K

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Yes, I was there only to replace the pads. But I had LMS install the stop tech stage 2 brake upgrade from the org's group buy last year. I thought you were asking how much it was to do everything, no? It was around $200 to install the stop tech upgrade. But you are right that dau when I saw you I was only there for the brake pads.