Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

[OT] My Kakumei Y-Pipe Review

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gchristopher9, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just got through installing my Kakumei y-pipe I ordered from eBay, and let everyone know what I thought. I don't have any pictures, as I'm sure everyone has seen them on another thread. I just wanted to post my review and advice for anyone planning on attempting this on their own. The pipe itself fit absolutely perfect, like a glove. The one mistake i made was in the front by the cats. The two bolts closest to the middle of the car were able to be turned off with a 14mm socket. The two on the outtermost parts weren't as friendly, so my friend and i cut them off. after they were cut we realized they were welded in from the other side, and we weren't going to be able to just hammer them out. we then had to grind them flush and drill holes in order to run our own bolts though. this was quite the pain in the ass, but once it was done the y-pipe was on in 15 minutes. if your vehicle is newer, or you live in a more undercarriage friendly region of the country, you should be able to just turn the nuts off, and reuse the factory studs. The studs on the rear part of the y-pipe are welded to the stock y, so its easy enough to bolt right up to the midpipe through the factory holes. The bolts supplied by kakumei were a little to big for the factory holes, but we had some spares handy that worked just fine. the sound is a bit louder, and definitely noticeable behind the vehicle. in cabin noise seems to be the same, and it will probably be a few days before i make any performance conclusions. overall i am very happy with this purchase, as I am now ready to bolt up the nismo setup from the midpipe back. wish me luck in finding it!

i also put my grounding kit in today, and stripped the first couple threads out of the front right engine cover mounting hole. gotta try to run a tap through it and see if that works. also, i need to find a longer bolt for the connection at the left front of the plenum. mine wasn't long enough to put 3 ring terminals on. Does anyone know what thread i need? i will also be paying attention to this in the next few days to see if there is any noticeable difference. Thats all i got, more than willing to field questions on the kakumei y-pipe if anyone has any.

oh yea, and the VQ35 sounds insane with nothing after the cats! you know i had to fire it up once the old y was out of there! lol

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. durak2000

durak2000 Member

Hey gchristopher9

I have a Kakumei y Pipe and HKS full exhaust (mid and rear sections). Even though things are pretty tight down there, I do get a lot vibration especially in the cold conditions or until the car warms up.

I even changed the OEM rubber hangers to the NISMO ones, the vibration is less noticable but is still there.

Do you experience anything like it and if yes how did you resolve it?

Thanks!

3. OP
    OP
    gchristopher9

gchristopher9 Member

i have not had any problems with vibration at all. did you check to make sure none of the pipes are touching the frame or suspension anywhere?

4. FxJojo

FxJojo Member

How is your HKS + Kakumei? is there noticable gains? I want to do the HKS soon but I want to ensure that there is some good gains with the 2.5" HKS pipes (same as stock) not just nicer and louder sound.

and congrats gchristopher9 for your Kakumei :tup: although its late

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  5. EG3

EG3 Premium Member Premium

You gain the hp mostly from less restrictive mufflers, not the pipes. HKS is a good balance of sound, power and torque, IMO.

6. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 4Matic
    Garages:
    Read my post, you need firmer hangers:
    http://stores.ebay.com/A2RINC_W0QQfrsrcZ1QQfsubZ5593546QQtZkm

You only need to replace the two that are shaped like this. I can't remember if they are 12 mm or 9 mm, but I think it was 12 mm.

HKS Exhaust on a FX45 - InfinitiScene.com

7. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
  8. aiya

aiya First Genner iS VIP

NYC
    Garages:
    I never had any vibration for the couple of months I had my Kakumei y pipe.

Since I sold it, I haven't heard any complaints from the new owner either. Man I miss that sound.

9. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    It's the HKS exhaust that creates the rattling, it hits the W brace (side impact).

10. I had rattling noise as well when I installed my headers. This was due to taking off the bolts that hold the Cats in place. The problem is that those bolts hold the other end of the Exhaust system while the rest of the system is suspended and held by rubber hangers.

Try undoing the bolts that hold the rear end of the Cats, Put a jack under neath each cat to raise it up while you're tightening the bolts. This will pull the Y-pipe higher, therefore will keep the Mid-Pipe away from the W brace.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  11. durak2000

durak2000 Member

Wow! First of all let me thank you all for such a response volume!!! I've already ordered a pair of 9mm hangers! Will keep you posted on the progress.

I wouldn't say there are any noticable gains, although the car pulls a little better and engine is a bit less restricted. I did change from K&N filter back to OEM, so my fuel economy actually went down.

This what I've done so far, step by step:

1. Switched from OEM to HKS exhaust with OEM Y-Pipe and K&N filter. I left OEM hangers in place. The fuel economy was dramatically increased almost 4MPG on the highway! I went from 18 to 22, 23. I do account for warmer weather though, which meant less time to warm up the engine, hence more MPG.

2. OEM Y-Pipe started making noise at around 2500-3000 RPM. After further investigation, it turned out to be a loose outer heat shield on the Y-Pipe and loose heat shields on both of the cats. I have removed both shields from the cats - it has been OK so far, no extra heat under floor and no vibrations. So, 2 months ago I have added a Kakumei Y-Pipe to replace a rattling and ugly OEM module. 2 bolts at the mid/y pipe junction were of course not a problem to remove as they were HKS I have put on about a month before. 4 nuts at the cats to remove an OEM Y-Pipe proved to be more PITA. I have used a 'bolt-out' + PB Blaster and have removed all 4 with a little effort. I have a 2003 FX35, so my bolts on the cats were welded (pressed) into the holes from the other side. I took my time and ended up not having to rethread or drill out any bolts. I did however picked up 4 chromed nuts and washers from the local hardware store and replaced the OEM ones I have stripped with 'bolt-out' kit. Kakumei fitted like a glove, although I was a bit dissappointed to find out that an engraved chrome plate that read "Infiniti FX35/45 Y Pipe" ended up facing upwards (cat holes are at an angle). Again, I left the OEM hangers in place.

3. At the same time, I switched to synthetic oil and went back to OEM air filter. I drove the car for 3 days then went for a 2 week vacation. When I came back and drove a car, I have noticed lots of rattling noise and vibration right away especially while going uphill and the car wasn't warmed up all the way. Also mid pipe started hitting the W brace every time I went over bumps. Fuel economy plummeted down back to 16-18 MPG on the highway. This is when I went with NISMO hangers (this is about 3 weeks ago) - they are MUCH more rigid than the OEM ones and eliminated som rattling but not all of it. I also temporarily remedied the W brace/Y-Pipe noise by wrapping a piece of rubber around the W Brace. That quieted things down a tiny bit but I can still feel the mid pipe hitting it over bumps.

Things are the worst when I leave work and the car isn't warmed up yet. It makes horrendous noise, lots of vibration and engine seems to struggle a lot. I have checked all the nuts, bolts and gaskets multiple times - all seems to be fine. I also tried adjusting the y-pipe at the cats to go a little higher but I only have a few millimeters of play there, so it didn't help much. Things go back to normal after about 5 minutes of driving. We did get hit with temps in the 20's here in the Northeast last week, so things may needed time to adjust. On the other hand, it has been 2 months since I changed the whole system, so it had more enough time to adjust.

Gosh, I REALLY hope that the two 9mm hangers will solve my problems!

Thanks again for all your responses!

12. EG3

If the noise comes as a deep one at the low rpms and a loud, high-frequency rattling like in the high rpms when your engine is cold, it might be normal. It's so cold here in Boston nowadays that my FX wakes up all the dogs in our community when it's cold. :)

By the way, is there a chance you're Turkish? Just checking it out.. The user name sounds like it..

13. durak2000

durak2000 Member

I know! It's super cold, but hopefully will warm a bit this week. I did my FX with 3 coats of Zaino + 2 coats of Zaino Clear Seal and now waiting for the warmer temps to do my G.

I am Russian :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  14. EG3

well, that was the second alternative.. :)

15. durak2000

durak2000 Member

Thanks to Chedman13! :tup:

It is confirmed. After a few days of testing, I can tell you that those new 9mm super rigid hangers worked wonders to eliminate vibration while the system is cold as well as while going over bumps.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I thought, I'd be rattling like an idiot after spending about a grand on the whole setup.

16. Chedman13

Chedman13 iS VIP iS VIP

Illinois
    Garages:
    Excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.