Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

MTEC 8k Bulbs

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Electronics & Lighting' started by Mongolian, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Mongolian

Mongolian Premium Member Premium

Ok,

I think I'm done messing around with after market headlight bulbs. My driver side headlight didn't work today and i opened up the housing to find out that the bulb was shattered inside. I thought MTEC was suppose to be good quality...

I went back to stock. My concern right now is that there are glass pieces still inside the housing. I don't think I can get them out. Do you guys think it's ok?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

Anyone?? Should I try to get the glass pieces out?? It's going to be a hassle to take the housing out...

3. fxlr8

fxlr8 Staff Administrator

California
    None
    Garages:
    Did you touch the bulbs with your bare hand? That will cause the hid bulbs to shatter from the oils and heat.. As for leaving in the shattered pieces.....it is up to you, if you are not bothered by it.... leave them in, it will not affect anything inside the lamp housing.

4. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

+1....I have the Mtec 8K in mine and they are fine. You have to be careful not to touch the bulb.

5. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

Hmm... I used latex gloves when I installed them and I was pretty certain I didn't touch them with my bare hands. I think the bulb lasted about 6 months or so.

Psiclne: I remember one of your post regarding the bulbs not turning on temporarily. I think that was the symptom which eventually this to this event.

Thanks for the input fxlr8.

6. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Yeah it still happens from time to time - but its not the bulbs - I switched them out with another brand and it still happened. So that pretty much ruled out the bulbs. I actually think its the wiring - cuz If i wiggle the connections a lil bit they do come on, and yeah its a pain in the a$$.

7. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

Does it make a "click click" noise when they don't come on?

8. OP
    OP
    Mongolian

Do you think it would be OK to suck up the remaining glass pieces up with a vacuum? I just need to find a more powerful one than the one I have at home.

9. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Will, you probably have some rusted connectors. Cleaning them should fix that problem. I had the same problem with one of my fog light connectors and it works fine after some all the rust was cleaned out.

Mongolian, I have had 8k mtec on my fogs for a year with no issue and currently have 6k mtec in my fogs without incident. My guess is the same with fxlr8, you possibly inadvertently touched the bulb area. The latex gloves may had had some grease on the outside. It is also possible that you just received a defective part. Yours is the first bad encounter I have heard on the mtec bulbs. I would try another set.

10. Keemo

Keemo Premium Member Premium

These are reasuring words for someone who has them on order. ;)

11. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

I have only heard good things about MTEC...i would try another set, and if they were defective before the warranty period was up, im sure they will replace your set.

12. Psiclne

Psiclne Ummm Ahem Ahem

Los Angeles
    Garages:
    Bringing back an old ass thread, but my recent issue (clicking noise) turned out to be a shattered bulb. I think I bought these used from Dr2k lasted me 6years. Back to stock.

13. shadow191

shadow191 Premium Member Premium

Atlanta, GA
    2007 FX35
    Garages:
    So was it the ballast clicking because the bulb no longer worked? Do you have to clean up glass from inside the projector?

14. Psiclne

Psiclne Ummm Ahem Ahem

Los Angeles
    Garages:
    I didn't - as long as it doesn't rattle I don't care