Welcome to InfinitiScene.com - Home for Infiniti QX and Q enthusiasts!
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to the forums. Why not register on our forums and gain the extra benefits that our regular members enjoy?

• Enthusiast Owned and Operated!
  • Registraion is free.
  • You will be able to post, message, and interact with other members.
  • Our forum is full of friendly, knowledgeable members and staff.
  • Plenty of money saving opportunities from write-ups to maintenance help.
  • Create a garage and show off your ride and specs.
  • Opportunity for ad-free viewing.
  • Plus much more!

Registration is fast, free, and easy, so stop being just a guest and become one of our newly registered members today!

FX35 Motordyne Spacer Qizztionnnn!

Discussion in 'FX (03-08) - Engine & Drivetrain' started by sgvxcheese, Dec 22, 2007.

1. sgvxcheese

sgvxcheese Member

Southern California
    infiniti fx 35
    Alrite, well i was looking at the motordyne site for the 1/2 spacer. However they offer several sizes and types of thermals. My question is what is the difference between sizes and the Basic Vs. Iso thermal spacers? Also, after installing the 1/2 spacer i have to leave out my engine cover if i put on my strut bar? correct me if im wrong.

*Registered members do not see this ad, register today!

2. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

The size difference is just that. Since the FX can fit the 1/2" thats what I did. A lot of the G/Z guys use the 5/16 (I believe) cuz of clearance issues under the hood. You can still use the cover after you install the spacer.

[​IMG]

3. brown_fv

brown_fv Premium Member Premium

With the 1/2" spacer you can still fit the engine cover and strut bar (like shown above)

the ISO thermal version will help prevent heat soak (robs you of HP). this would be helpful at the track with your car waiting in line because the heat under the hood will build up causing your intake to breathe in hotter air until your car gets moving. if you live in a hot place like cali its good to have but its not 100% necessary.

4. Frankiago

Frankiago Evo Troll Premium

IL
    IMHO the iso thermal does not do what it's supposed to. My plenum still gets super-hot, and I even had the all-out copper iso-thermal kit and when I actually had the copper part on, same results.

I got the 1/2" as well and the engine cover does fit just fine over it. The reason Z/G guys go 5/16 is because of it being able to still work with the factory strut bar, not hood clearance. The Z/G guys I believe can fit APS Tall Boy plenums with factory hood and that thing is a monster (atleast 1/4" bigger than stock plenum + 1/2" spacer I believe).

5. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    That engine bay looks horrible... I think this one looks way better..:p:LOL:

[​IMG]

:6wink:
    :4tongue:
    :xd:
    :boxing:

6. Psiclne

Psiclne Guest

Ok - you got me there, thats why you got 1st place and I got 2nd place @ the Toys for Tots thing....:frown: Technically 3rd cuz Doc got BOS FX. Kick me while I'm down why dont cha.

7. HumbertoCALI

HumbertoCALI Premium Member Premium

South Gate, CA
    2003 FX45 AWD
    Garages:
    C'mon.. you know you the man out there......

8. Dr.2K

Dr.2K iS Doctor on Duty iS VIP

Santa Clarita, CA
    2005 FX45
    Garages:
    Play nice you two =) Both need some cleaning!!! :LOL::p:LOL::rofl:

9. FXchris305

FXchris305 Member

miami
    2005 Honda S2000
    Garages:
    whats the difference between the 5/16 and the 1/2 spacer ?

10. cambo

cambo Member

Chantilly, VA
    2005 Fx35 awd
    3/16" of spacer material....

:rofl:

11. Rubare

Rubare Premium Member Premium

NYC
    Garages:
    If I can remember correctly the 1/2 give you more power at low RPM and the 5/16 give you power at higher RPM..

I think that's the difference.. I know for a fact other members know for sure, so correct me if I'm wrong..:p

12. drew855

drew855 Premium Member Premium

NJ
    Garages:
    I'm pretty sure it is the opposite of that

13. Rubare

Rubare Premium Member Premium

NYC
    Garages:
    I wasn't sure lol.. Thanks for clarifying it!

14. FXchris305

FXchris305 Member

miami
    2005 Honda S2000
    Garages:
    so the 5/16 give you more power on lower rpms . and the 1/2 give you more power on higher rpms?

15. drew855

drew855 Premium Member Premium

NJ
    Garages:
    Yea, pretty sure

16. jbaker1121

jbaker1121 Im in touch with humanity iS VIP

Westchester, New York
    09 FX50
    Garages:
    5/16 is more lower RPM, and the 1/2 is higher rpm. I got the 5/16th because I lost low end from my exhaust and stuff

17. jumbosrule

jumbosrule Premium Member Premium

Redondo Beach, CA
    2003 FX35T
    Brad
    Garages:
    Yes - 5/16 is better for low end.

The difference between the two sizes is difficult to feel so you'll be happy with either one.

You can still use your engine cover AND the Strut tower brace with either spacer.

18. bleedingsujit

bleedingsujit Premium Member Premium

i have tried the iso thermal spacer and was thinking more about the copper version but frank's comments about them not very useful has got me thinking twice...:confused:

19. sirtrojan

sirtrojan Member

Poland, Warsaw
    2006 FX35 AWD
    Garages:
    I've just get the parcel with a 5/16 Plenum Spacer and gona install it within next few days (will share my opinion on IS :)

20. jumbosrule

jumbosrule Premium Member Premium

Redondo Beach, CA
    2003 FX35T
    Brad
    Garages:

Yeah - I agree with Frank. Iso-thermal doesn't provide much benefit for the money. If money is not an issue, then it can't hurt. Just doesn't help very much.